Range Report (11/2/13) MK85 50 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinbrian

Reaction score
Very windy today. Wind blowing across shooting lane from left to right in gusts. I loaded up with 100 grains of Triple 7 FFg and a 250 Barnes Expander in a Harvester Long Black sabot. Fit is perfect. Fouling shot (shot#1) is right near the POA (bullseye). The second and third shots are made without scope adjustment, This is looking promising. I am using a steady grip on forearm and holding it into my arm. I wonder about this technique. I doubt that I can hold identically each time. Nevertheless.,...it's how I shot the Expanders today. Shots 2 and 3 being high at 100 yards I click the scope down about 3 clicks to at least get it inside the outer circle. But my 4th shot went wild to the right. I am certain that I was holding a steady crosshair as my shooting position afforded me an easy way to hold it steady. This shot gets me wondering and rolling my eyes and saying:"Here we go again!". So, I make a LEFT adjustment on the crosshair......still assuming that my rifle is shooting these loads in a consistent way. The two lower shots followed.
I am starting to think that my erector tube in the scope is just doing whatever it wants. But then I think: well, when I am laser sighting and I move the crosshairs....they move consistently with the way they are supposed to.
Getting late in the day....and I recall Edwardamason stating that mine would be the first if it didn't group 250 grain XTP's and MMP short lacks at 1.5 inches at 100. And it DID shoot two shots at about 1.5 ....maybe a tad more. The third shot.....I loaded without loading powder in the rifle.
I will start with 85 grains of powder and 250 grain XTP's next time. I will see if I can zero a group of three of them at 100 yards. If not.....my scope may be on its last leg. Does anyone have a good scope suggestion for me in the 400 dollar range??? The most important aspect of the scope that I want is that it responds precisely to the clicks. If I click 4 clicks left.....then the bullet should impact one inch left. Sightron?? Weaver?? Bushnell?? Leupold (they are almost out of my price league unless I get a Vari X 2.
100_0373_zps8a4e25d2.jpg

100_0374_zpsdf44eb48.jpg

100_0375_zps54477580.jpg

At 100 yards.....how far can a gust of wind about 15 mph push a bullet over???? An inch?? More???

Personally, I never sight in a gun when it's windy. I like shooting in the wind for practice, but not for sight in.

So that 'freak' shot.....that is about 3.4 inches to the right.....was either me....or the scope (that shot occurred right after a VERTICAL adjustment). Oh well, I'll try and try again.
I look at the Weather Channel website for my town. Could have been 10....could have been 15.....doubtful it was much more.

Way too windy in TN today to be doing any load evaluations.

As far as under $ 400 glass goes the very best bang for your buck BY far is the Ziess ConQuest 3x9x40. $349 many places and last year Cabelas ran a sale for $299 about this time of the year. I'm hoping they do that again I am going to jump on three of them.

Muley Hunter said:
How do you measure gusting wind?

Pretty certain he was just estimating the wind speed, saying it was gusty and just used 15mph. Well if you use the max wind speed of 15mph in the gust, just plug it into the software. So if the wind speed at the gust was 15mph, then it would push the bullet I entered into the software 1" at 100yds. Assuming it was at a complete right angle....

Or use one of these..... http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/c ... ind-Wizard

I understand how you measured it. What I don't understand is how anybody can estimate the wind speed when it's very windy, and gusting? At what point is the gust when he shot? This is why I sight in on calm days.

Question not really pointed at you.

PETE THERE IS A DEVICE SOME BENCH COMPETITION SHOOTERS USE IT IS CALL A CALDWELL WIND WIZARD.
I have one and even carry it hunting it is about 2 inches wide and 4 tall and maybe 3/4 thick and weighs very little, it gives a digital read out down to a 1/10 mile per hour and changes as the wind does.

I've seen them Lee, but they're more accurate with a steady wind. Gusting winds can be a nightmare to figure out. Especially, if the wind is swirling in different directions, and gusting different at the target than where you're shooting.

Anyway, i've had my say. I still think sighting in is better to wait for a calmer day.

It was a very windy day. Not straight-line winds. But gusty. When I said 15 mph . That is both an estimate.....and a conclusion from lookign at present weather conditions when checking the current, local weather. I am not real sure why this is an issue. (??????) It was just windy. Gusty. At times....breezy. Then gusty again. I would guess that the breezed where 5 mph and the gusts where close to 15 mph.
But i simply made the comment in my first post to let the readers know the conditions. I really had no reason other than that. I don't carry weather instruments with me (but that device mentioned by Lemoyne is interesting if alot of range work is in the future).
And thank you ENCORE50A.......precisely what I was saying.
I didn't go shooting yesterday to ready my ML for opening day (coming Saturday). I went to try loads. Better yet....to just feel recoil against my shoulder. Even better yet: Because someone was available to sit with my mother while I went outside and played.
When those opportunities present themselves.....I have learned to jump all over them. Wind or no wind.
(By the way guys, the CVA nipples, that come three to a pack.....worked flawlessly yesterday!!!! And really, they worked better, for me, than the ones with the side ports. When one got sooted up after several shots...I would just screw it out between shots and screw another in. But I I had me a strip of something.....leather maybe,,,,,or someother way of wiping the nipple off while still in the breechplug.....while it is still in the MK......then I could shoot without swapping nipples. That is my only problem. The cap must be firmly seated....but shot after shot cause primer soot to build up and keeps my capper from puching the cap on all the way.....which will result in a NO FIRE. I need some way of wiping the nipple off while it is still installed. Not a biggie. I'll figure out some little something.

The ballistic calculator I use says 1.66" for a 15 mph wind 90 deg off target. Course that's for my load but gives you an idea.

Back