Savage/Cabela's gets it right!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doohan said:
Chuck,

Have you tried to interchange any of your stocks from your 10ML-II's?

Let me know if they are interchangable..

JJ...I stand corrected...

Per Joe Degrande TODAY:

"The Model 10ML-BP stock will not fit any other muzzle loader. The action screw spacing has been changed to match our centerfires. Action screw spacing on the BP is 4.40" to match the new centerfeed centerfires, while all other 10ML-II's still use the old staggered-feed spacing of 4.275" Will the other Model 10MLII?s change to this action screw spacing ? I would think so but I don?t know when."

1. Two/three Triumphs for the price of a 10ML BP? You can't buy a stainless steel Triumph for ANY price. The CLOSEST one can get with a Triumph to the 10ML BP is a Thompson/Center Triumph .50-Caliber Rifle ? Weather Shield/Realtree AP HD $529.99 at Cabela's(Midsouth has a similar muzzleloader for $503.07). I agree someone pinching pennies isn't going to purchase a 10ML BP but they aren't going to shell out $500.00 plus for a decked out Triumph either.

2. Function firing before leaving factory.... I have personally owned more than one muzzleloader(a few centerfires too!) that wouldn't go BOOM when the trigger is pulled...and a custom muzzleloader that was missing ACTION SCREWS. This is added insurance that things are properly put together before the consumer gets the product and that at LEAST someone took the time to test each and EVERY 10ML before it leaves the factory. I would think anyone could see the benefits of this...

3. Bases/rings... Some WILL use the included bases/rings. These are the same bases/rings included with the 10ML-II Value Pack that includes scope/mounts.

4. "3/8" socket head and socket wrench that I'll have to keep track of when I can just use my fingers on a triumph".... Fingers aren't always enough to remove the Triumphs breechplug, I have two of them. That's why they also include a breechplug tool as well. Wink

5. Both are fine muzzleloaders...they SHOULD be accurate..

6. Accu-Trigger adjustable trigger. One can't buy an adjustable trigger Triumph for ANY price. Easily worth $80-$100...at least it is to me. Without an adjustable trigger it is completely luck of the draw as to if one gets a good trigger or not.. Both of my Triumphs have good triggers..one at 3lbs 13 ounces and one at 3lbs 15 ounces...but not GREAT triggers. Let's not forget...NO hammer to fumble with especially in cold weather with gloves plus the has 10ML one of the best designed 3-position safeties around.

7. Strongest action, moot point? Completely a safety issue... Savage uses the same barrels as they would on a .458 Win Mag... The same action as a .300 Win Short Mag... Not a smokeless issue at all because many non-smokeless loads generate the same pressure as some smokeless loads. Safety issue in case of bore obstruction, double charging, etc...or other stupid human tricks some try! Very Happy

Thanks for the reply Big 6X6:

1) My argument is looking purely at functionality and performance relative to cost. Having a Triumph, or any gun for that matter, with camo stock, SS, weathershield is mostly a matter of looks. A person who takes good care of his gun will get just as good longevity from a blued barrel and normal stock. Besides, I've never understood the camo stock with SS barrel. You hide well from the animals until they see the sun glare off your barrel from 1/2 mile away! If you can get the same, or perhaps even better, overall functionality for half the price or better, it is simply hard to justify the extra cost unless you have money to spare. If you do, then this entire argument doesn't matter. If you're like many of us on this site, it is a considerable sacrifice to pursue and enjoy our sport and it is worth knowing how to get the most bang for your buck.

2) Function testing: You've most certainly owned more guns than I have, but this is the first time I've ever heard of anyone having a gun that wouldn't fire brand new. I'd be interested to hear if this has happened to anyone else.

3) So some may use the bases/rings, which you can find for cheap if you want to as well. I don't mind that they're included, but you end up paying many times more for them than you would by just picking some up yourself.

4) For speedbreech users: Anyone ever have to use a tool to loosen the breech plug with BH209? I'd be interested to hear it. I've put more than two jugs of BH209 through it and have never even so much as strained to get mine out with my fingers.

5) Thanks for the additional info about how the breech plug of the Savage breaks down, it looks like a nice feature and one that I would definitely appreciate on my triumph.

6) I've used the Triumph hammer with gloves and don't have any more difficulty with it than I do my bolt actions (which means no difficulty). I don't see the weakness to it. It certainly couldn't be any more inconvenient than trying to get a little primer in the breech plug located under your scope on a savage, especially with gloves on!

7) You're right about the trigger, but for regular a Joe like me, I don't know that it is worth the extra cost. So I might be able to tighten my groups from 1 1/2" to 1"? I'm a hunter, not a competition shooter. End result is the same dead animal.

8) I see your point about a strong action, but I'm not sure if the difference is significant. Will the barrel/action of a T/C or knight blow with a double charge? I thought they all were designed to withstand that. If I'm wrong, I'd be glad to know. Safety is always worth extra $$. But if you're talking about the difference between all barrels being able to hand double loads, but the Savage can handle a quadruple load with an obstruction, then I'll say that is really cool but inconsequential for real life situations.

So my point is this, if you have the money to buy every new thing that comes along, then you'll surely enjoy the new Savage. For me, unless you can show me something that will significantly improve functionality over something that costs 1/2 as much, then I just can't justify the expense. When I learned about Savage coming out with a ML that could shoot smokeless powder I thought, this is a gun that has something special, and possibly worth the extra money (until most states outlawed using smokeless powder during ML season). With this new model, after excitedly reading the report, I was left wondering what was so special about this new Savage model that justifies such an expensive gun? I'll stick with my cheap, black stock, blue barreled, tack driving Triumph for now thank you very much and anxiously await a manufacturer to come out with something truly special.

sabotloader said:
younghunter_86
They seem to be doing bickering about smokeless vs BP than anything else.
Not any more. Read posts by 1shot1kill. If it walks like and duck and talks like a duck... :idea:

sabotloader said:
younghunter_86
Actually somebody ought to post Big 6X6 review over there he has more useful information about the BH gun than I see on that site. They seem to be doing bickering about smokeless vs BP than anything else.
I think the first part was copy and pasted somewhere over there.

So my point is this, if you have the money to buy every new thing that comes along, then you'll surely enjoy the new Savage. For me, unless you can show me something that will significantly improve functionality over something that costs 1/2 as much, then I just can't justify the expense. When I learned about Savage coming out with a ML that could shoot smokeless powder I thought, this is a gun that has something special, and possibly worth the extra money (until most states outlawed using smokeless powder during ML season). With this new model, after excitedly reading the report, I was left wondering what was so special about this new Savage model that justifies such an expensive gun? I'll stick with my cheap, black stock, blue barreled, tack driving Triumph for now thank you very much and anxiously await a manufacturer to come out with something truly special.

I see your points...ALL of them... Well thought out post, BTW!

To many...a muzzleloader is just a tool... a tool for really nothing more than adding a hunting season....a little more time in the woods.. Many of those hunters are going to purchase a "muzzleloader." You know the one in the bubble wrap on the shelf. They'll pick up some "bullets," some "pellets," and some "primers" and head to the range the day before season starts. They'll put that muzzleloader up the day after muzzleloading season ends and may or may not get it out again until next season... Then there is the group that simply put want the best bang for the buck. They understand that cheap is rarely BEST and more times than not one gets exactly what they pay for...to a point. That's where MOST muzzleloader hunters are. They might occasionally hunt with their muzzleloader during firearms season but also enjoy the features a centerfire rifle gives them as well. They buy the vast majority of all muzzleloaders sold! THEN you have those like...well like Doohan, Grouse, cayuga, Busta, Underclocked, Spit, sabotloader, myself, et al that LOVE muzzleloading! Eat, drink, sleep muzzleloading. Some enjoy nice cigars... Some appreciate fine wine. Some even pay outragous prices for old, used furniture! I may not have the nicest kitchen appliances(to me a stove is a stove, RIGHT! :D ) but I enjoy shooting and owning the latest/greatest/newest muzzleloader available. I have hunted with nothing but for 9/10 years... I could have honestly probably successfully hunted everything to date with the second muzzleloader I had ever bought! But of course I didn't! :lol: Muzzleloading itself can certainly never be justified. In fact it is probably the most expensive means of taking game animals.. I can certainly not justify the cost of a new 10ML BP....but I can say the same for many if not most muzzleloaders...

My goal has always been here at modernmuzzleloader.com to never come across as holier than thou or to snob anyone for the hunting utensils they may have or like or that they can afford. I hope I don't come across that way. Only to present more than one choice of the many out there, trying to look at new products as intelligentally and objectively as I possibly can, and to steer away those I can from products I know to be unfit...

Enjoy your Triumph...

big6x6 said:
Doohan said:
Chuck,

Per Joe Degrande TODAY:

"The Model 10ML-BP stock will not fit any other muzzle loader. The action screw spacing has been changed to match our centerfires. Action screw spacing on the BP is 4.40" to match the new centerfeed centerfires, while all other 10ML-II's still use the old staggered-feed spacing of 4.275" Will the other Model 10MLII?s change to this action screw spacing ? I would think so but I don?t know when."

Thanks Chuck... That was why I asked. I heard they were on a slightly different action as well.

Big 6x6

Everybody was waiting for someone to go buy the new Savage BP and wright a review, and post pictures.

Of the 5 different forums I visit, yours is the first I've seen. It is well written, has pictures and is to the ponit with no editors or sponsors to influence your thoughts.

thank you, redpep

big6x6 said:

I see your points...ALL of them... Well thought out post, BTW!

To many...a muzzleloader is just a tool... a tool for really nothing more than adding a hunting season....a little more time in the woods.. Many of those hunters are going to purchase a "muzzleloader." You know the one in the bubble wrap on the shelf. They'll pick up some "bullets," some "pellets," and some "primers" and head to the range the day before season starts. They'll put that muzzleloader up the day after muzzleloading season ends and may or may not get it out again until next season... Then there is the group that simply put want the best bang for the buck. They understand that cheap is rarely BEST and more times than not one gets exactly what they pay for...to a point. That's where MOST muzzleloader hunters are. They might occasionally hunt with their muzzleloader during firearms season but also enjoy the features a centerfire rifle gives them as well. They buy the vast majority of all muzzleloaders sold! THEN you have those like...well like Doohan, Grouse, cayuga, Busta, Underclocked, Spit, sabotloader, myself, et al that LOVE muzzleloading! Eat, drink, sleep muzzleloading. Some enjoy nice cigars... Some appreciate fine wine. Some even pay outragous prices for old, used furniture! I may not have the nicest kitchen appliances(to me a stove is a stove, RIGHT! :D ) but I enjoy shooting and owning the latest/greatest/newest muzzleloader available. I have hunted with nothing but for 9/10 years... I could have honestly probably successfully hunted everything to date with the second muzzleloader I had ever bought! But of course I didn't! :lol: Muzzleloading itself can certainly never be justified. In fact it is probably the most expensive means of taking game animals.. I can certainly not justify the cost of a new 10ML BP....but I can say the same for many if not most muzzleloaders...

My goal has always been here at modernmuzzleloader.com to never come across as holier than thou or to snob anyone for the hunting utensils they may have or like or that they can afford. I hope I don't come across that way. Only to present more than one choice of the many out there, trying to look at new products as intelligentally and objectively as I possibly can, and to steer away those I can from products I know to be unfit...

Enjoy your Triumph...

Excellent point Chuck. 8) I totally agree!

big6x6 said:
Doohan said:
Chuck,

Per Joe Degrande TODAY:

Joe would be the man to know , but when I replaced my original 10mlII (non accutrigger) with a Richards microfit thumbhole stock I ordered it for a short action model 10 and the action screws lined up perfectly. ( I thought the short action model 10 was/is a centerfire action).
Have you tried interchanging stocks?

Quotaing hjbuys
"4) For speedbreech users: Anyone ever have to use a tool to loosen the breech plug with BH209? I'd be interested to hear it. I've put more than two jugs of BH209 through it and have never even so much as strained to get mine out with my fingers."

I don't know about BH209, but yesterday a saleman was showing me a Triumph and explaining how easy it was to clean.... He couldn't get the breach plug out. I though that was funny.

Dave

Thanks Big 6X6 again for the reply. Your point is well made. Thanks for the detailed review. I hope you do one for the new knight when it comes out.

Grouse said:
Very well said JJ. 8)

A Savage has no chance against a Disc Elite shooting Black powders subs. The Disc Elite is more accurate out of the box. The Disc Elite has a better barrel, The Disc Elite has better Stocks. The Disc Elite has a QR bolt. The Disc Elite has just as good of a trigger. You might need to send it back to Knight at no charge other then shipping to make it like you want it. The Disc Elite shoots a wide variety of bullets very accurate. The Disc Elite has a better breech plug. The Disc Elite is better in just about every category.

I'm sorry, but which gun were you talking about??? :D

Just messin with ya Grouse... :)

hjbuys said:
Thanks Big 6X6 again for the reply. Your point is well made. Thanks for the detailed review. I hope you do one for the new knight when it comes out.

I am considering it in a big way. I have my MHC that I may let go to kick the tires on the Knight.

I haven't read any of the posts in this topic until just now.

One thing I come away with is that I learned a lot about several guns by reading it! :)

Thanks!

BIG 6x6,

Anymore pictures or range reports on the 10ML BP. I'm really interested in this gun. Just wondering if you had done any more shooting with it. I see you didn't take it with you on the hog hunt.

Back