PRICING OF BH 209 VIOLATES OBSENITY LAWS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flint head

Now i would call that a bit steep - no a lotta bit steep!

I called my local guy he is going to place an order with Western after the 4th (He has to have combined order of $1200.00) but told him to git me a couple of bottles it will interesting to see what he charges....

$42/10oz - I can shoot a lot of T7 for that and I do not mind running a patch...

Underclocked said:
Spitpatch's comment got me to worrying. Cap and Trade may put an end to casual shooting or at least tax hell out of it. Maybe we ought to read the fine print. :roll:

How bout reading the whole damn thing before it gets voted on. :twisted:

EVERYTHING that is made by a process that leaves a "carbon footprint", or by its USE leaves one will be TAXED. Your Electric Bill WILL double.

Powder will most likely take a double whammy. In fact you better buy up now....for life, or give up makin smoke.

Just think...us bowhunters will have it easy, while you nasty gun crazy, blood thirsty, gun guys, polluting the air with your foul stench...will have your hunting license's triple in cost!!

:roll:

I think I'm scarin myself!! :shock:

The last bottle of BP209 I bought was $32.95 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Recently I was in the BassPro store in Macon Ga. and wanted to buy another bottle or two of BP209. They had it priced at $39.95. Needless to say I passed on that purchase.
I realize BassPro needs to make a profit but I think charging a nickel less than $40 for a 10 oz. bottle while others are charging under $30, as mentioned by some members of this forum, puts them in the same class as rip off artists.
I doubt if I will ever be back in a BassPro shop. They will never miss what I would have spent with them in the future but if others that feel ripped off by them quit shopping with them, they will eventually notice it.
If other companies can sell BP209 at $30 or less, then the problem of high prices is not with Western Powders, it is with certain retailers jacking the price up on the product just because they can.

I'm on my 7th or 8th jug of 209 since the 1st of the year. Before I leave the range I run a patch with hoppes down the bore a couple of times, run a couple dry patches and then a patch with oil on it. I get home and I clean it proper and dang it all no matter what I do I can not get it to where if I run a clean patch down the bore it doesn't come out with a little black on it. I ended up shooting 8 rounds or so of 777 Sunday before I came home, 2 spit patches, dry patch & oiled before I left the range. I get home and ya know there isn't a spec of black in the bore, cleaned up really easy. I'm not so sure I'm not going to go back to shooting 777, yeh you got to swab between shots but other than that I think they shoot with in .5" of each other. I might use BH to hunt with but right now I doubt it.

kyboy41 said:
The last bottle of BP209 I bought was $32.95 at Sportsman's Warehouse. Recently I was in the BassPro store in Macon Ga. and wanted to buy another bottle or two of BP209. They had it priced at $39.95. Needless to say I passed on that purchase.
I realize BassPro needs to make a profit but I think charging a nickel less than $40 for a 10 oz. bottle while others are charging under $30, as mentioned by some members of this forum, puts them in the same class as rip off artists.
I doubt if I will ever be back in a BassPro shop. They will never miss what I would have spent with them in the future but if others that feel ripped off by them quit shopping with them, they will eventually notice it.
If other companies can sell BP209 at $30 or less, then the problem of high prices is not with Western Powders, it is with certain retailers jacking the price up on the product just because they can.
Yeah , but the place/s selling BH for $26.39 for 10 oz. or $2.64 per oz. are selling T7 for $18/ pound or $1.13 per oz. You decide. corporate greed runs rampant these days..IMO

I will admit that I am hooked on BH209 for my .45 cal Knight rifles.

If I need some immediately, I have a local gun shop that is selling it for $42. Ouch!

If I can wait until I save up enough Cabela's points and use the Cabela's Club $30 off purchase I get a better deal. It costs about $25 round trip for gas unless I can bum a ride.

If I order it via the Internet, I need to buy five or more at a time to make it worth it.

Underclocked said:
Spitpatch's comment got me to worrying. Cap and Trade may put an end to casual shooting or at least tax hell out of it. Maybe we ought to read the fine print. :roll:

It still has to make it past the senate... Lets call our representatives and keep our trigger pulling fingers crossed. :)

Wouldn't the BlackMag XP basically be a copy of BH209? I don't see how they could achieve the same benefits as BH209 without basically mirroring it. If so, that would mean the flinters and cappers couldn't use it right?

Nope, SWT, it isn't a mirror of BH209. Variations of Black Mag have been around a long time. Major drawback, aside from price, is that it has been very hygroscopic. I've had pretty good results with the small quantity of BM3 that I've used, after I slow baked it over a heater vent so I could break it up into powder - it had solidified in the the jugs.

It shoots pretty clean but leaves some residue. That residue had a reddish brown color in my guns. If the XP variation has solved the moisture absorbing, clumping problem it should be some great stuff. The fact they are marketing it in pre-measured watertight containers tell me they haven't solved that issue.

SWThomas
SW there are a lot of differences for one all the APP powders and Black Mag have an ascorbic acid base. They are a constant burn powder like Black and Pyrodex and 777. BH uses the same solvent [you can smell it] as some smokeless powders I know it is progressive burning and I am inclined to believe that it has a nitrocellulose base. Lee

Lee 9 said:
SWThomas
SW there are a lot of differences for one all the APP powders and Black Mag have an ascorbic acid base. They are a constant burn powder like Black and Pyrodex and 777. BH uses the same solvent [you can smell it] as some smokeless powders I know it is progressive burning and I am inclined to believe that it has a nitrocellulose base. Lee

Someone already posted that per the MSDS BH209 does not contain Nitrocellulose. But it does contain an ingredient that is contained in Nitrocellulos. I believe it was Nitrate Ester.

Explosives - Nitrate esters

Nitrate (NO3-) (CAS No. 014797-55-8) is an inorganic anion resulting from the oxidation of elemental nitrogen. It is an essential nutrient for plant protein synthesis and plays a critical role in the nitrogen cycle of soil and water. Nitrates are produced by natural biological and physical oxidations and therefore are ubiquitous in the environment (Ridder and Oehme 1974). Most nitrate compounds are strong oxidizing agents and some can react violently with oxidizable substances and may explode if exposed to heat or shock.

Nitrates are produced by natural biological and physical oxidations and therefore are ubiquitous in the environment. Most of the excess nitrates in the environment originate from inorganic chemicals manufactured for agriculture. Organic molecules containing nitrate groups are manufactured primarily for explosives or for their pharmacological effects

ubiquitous

"?adjective
existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent: ubiquitous fog; ubiquitous little ants."

dernt 5 dollar werdz!

I can't believe the run this is getting! For whatever your reason (i.e. accuracy, price, cleanliness, ease of use, etc.), shoot the powder of your choice and be done with it! I thought bowhunters were bad when it came to this type of discussion/debate over equipment!!!

flint head

I waz gonna ask 'Chief' ta splain whut 'UC' sayed - 'Chief' perstands him den he kin splain itz a meenen n anglish.

sabotloader said:
flint head

I waz gonna ask 'Chief' ta splain whut 'UC' sayed - 'Chief' perstands him den he kin splain itz a meenen n anglish.

He sed yer all nutz.... 8)

Chief

i newed u no

so ubiquitous meens 'nutz'

why do he uze dose bigt words ta meen sompin simple lik dat?

I had a literature teacher like dat 1 time... she was hung up dat english guy that wrote all doses tails lik 'mis summer nights dream' wit da 'bumkins'

Ah's jest an intrepreter. God only knowz whar he comes up wiff summa da crap he duz.... :roll: :lol:

Back