Blackhorn in Optima Elite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall9779

Reaction score
Well, I finally decided to pull the trigger on a can of BH209. The only regular 209 primers that Bass Pro had out were the Rem STS primer, but I wanted to see if they had anything else behind the counter. The only other primers they had were the regular Win W209 primers. I had been getting a little blow back with the 777 primers I had been using with Shockeys Gold, and I remembered a post about primer lengths and the W209 was the longest average length so I picked a pack of those up. Is anyone having significant problems using BH209 in CVA guns. I know the flash hole is on the small end at .027", but is that really causing any problems. I guess I'll just try what I have and if I start getting hang fires, I may consider drilling out the flash hole to .032 or so. I think with the small flash hole cleaning out the channel with a drill bit more often may be neccesary.

Shot some 80 gr bh/250gr SST loads in a buddy's Optima with W209's. No trouble, and accuracy was about the same as with t7. He bought several cans of t7 at Walmart for $10 per, so he went back to it. Not sure we shot enough to foul the bp.

BH Powder

I shot BH all last season inmy CVA Elite and never had any problems. Used the CCI primers.

Back