Possible bullet/conical source

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot some of the Bullshop .451s today. They loaded and seemed just fine, but there will be no group to report. Couldn't measure any group in the dirt and couldn't get the scope adjusted far enough left to even get on the rather large cardboard box where the target was taped at 50 yards.

Was trying them in my Elite as it shoots conicals very well also - but had put in the domed breech plug as well as swapping rings to some (supposedly QD) Weavers since shooting it last. Those rings were so badly misaligned there was no way to get on paper at 50. Tried swapping the rings front to back, tried reversing the rings, tried reversing swapped, and even reversed the bases. No go - still pointed the scope so far left there was no fixin' it. Going back to the other rings and will try those bullets again in that rifle, but may take my White 98 out next time.

By the way, that domed plug did nothing positive in my rifle. Was blowing the Win209s apart and blowback was just as bad as before. Switched back to the standard plug when I cleaned the rifle. So much for that.

Underclocked said:
....By the way, that domed plug did nothing positive in my rifle. Was blowing the Win209s apart and blowback was just as bad as before. Switched back to the standard plug when I cleaned the rifle. So much for that.
I had the same problem with my domed plug. A good cleaning and deburring seem to take care of it. I used small drills (turned by hand) to deburr the flash hole.

Roger, some of the primer debris was causing my bolt to be very difficult to operate. Think I would sooner just use the standard plug since cleaning it is a PIA anyway! I also shot the new UltraMag yesterday and cleaning it took about 1/2 the time required for the Elite.

That UltraMag is a nice rifle! I was trying the iron sights to see if they might be at usable (can't see irons worth a dern anymore). Only fired seven shots, but found I can use them at 50 yards if I absolutely must. I had swapped the fiber optics for the front insert and rear slide with some removed from a 700 Remington years ago. The front fiber optic insert on the UltraMags is too flimsy and easily broken (the rear is fine though) and fiber optic sights perform a light show in front of my face anyway.

With the Remington replacements - http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data ... nserts.jpg

My poor performance with irons (green dots are where the very first shots at 30 yards landed on first target) at 50 yards. http://www.missouri-whitetails.com/data ... ghts50.jpg

Those shots were using some Super91 designed NEW conicals. Wind was blowing left to right so the sights were left in that position.

Underclocked said:
Those shots were using some Super91 designed NEW conicals. Wind was blowing left to right so the sights were left in that position.

That's quite respectable....

More wind today but hurried in a quick shoot with the 98 and Bullshop bullets. Was sort of in a rush as the rain is coming (I hope) and looked like it could start anytime. Powder charges were thrown, not weighed. Horizontal spread less than 7/16, vertical spread (aside from #3, my fault) was substantial but the potential for an accurate charge under this bullet is there. Prolly need more powder! :D Two shots fired on a prior target to find zero.

49BullshopQuicky.jpg

No braggin' rights here, but that's whut ah did.

I wonder why so much vertical deviation? It DOES look like there is some potential! You didn't happen to clock any velocities did you?...or are you going to wait for me to do that! :D You thinking around 1300fps? Did the bullet even engrave the rifling a little upon seating?

That domed breech plug does the same thing in my Elite as well :evil:

Gonna take it to a buddy of mine that has all the mic's and measuring tools, to compare it with the standard plug. Maybe it's nipple is a tad longer causing the firing pin to crush the primers :?:

We shall see.... :roll:

They go down SLICK! I'm thinking the difference in lube is what made the difference though as they are sized to a perfect .451. His lube probably has a lower viscosity than most I've tried. One bullet loaded the same as the one prior, almost no fouling of the bore and no crud buildup.

Nope, my thumb wasn't working today (no chrono here). :wink:

But, after some consideration this is what I think regarding the vertical stringing:

1. I was in a hurry
2. My seating pressure was not as consistent as it should have been.
3. The charges were not weighed
4. Reducing (or maybe increasing the charge) by about 5 grains might eliminate most of the vertical dispersion.
5. The bullets might do better atop a different powder. FFFg or perhaps P
6. If you ignore shots 3 and 5 (I KNOW 3 was at least partly my fault, 5 may well have been also), you have a 1 5/8" group of 6 shots.
7. I was in a hurry. 8)

If I get the bullets before Sunday I'll give them a try then. I think I'll start out with 70gr fffg Triple Se7en and see how it goes from there.

You should have them by then unless the post office decides to send them wandering. :)

If 70 strings for you too, try 60 or 65 please. We're supposed to have windy and/or wet weather until later next week so I won't get to shoot again for awhile.

Thanks to Ed Mehlig and Gary (Contendernut), Bullshop will soon have a .410-385, .451-460, and .504-495 Bob Bowers designed NEW moulds to fill our orders!!! BIG thanks to those guys! :D

Put together a pic of what Bullshop is currently set up to make for the .504 and .451 calibers. He can size differently if needed (within limits of his available sizer dies). There will be at least two more offerings to come in those calibers when the moulds arrive there.

bullshop.jpg

You'll have to contact Bullshop Dan for his prices - but they will be very reasonable.

Patrick, remove this if you feel it is too much like an unpaid advertisement. I'm just trying to save folks money while getting enough business going Bullshop's way to assure a continuing economical supply of good conicals from him. There is nothing else in it for me (not even a discount, darn it!). :)

I have 100 of the .451/410 (looks like the 420 gr. on the left) coming my way anytime now. Price was under $27 including shipping from AK.!! Hard to beat that now a days.

.410 caliber 385 grains N.E.W. ----- .451 caliber 466 grains N.E.W. ----- and .504 caliber 495 grain N.E.W. bullet moulds are now at Bullshop. He should start producing those next week (the .451 466 grain is already in production and shown at the right above). Dan also has a N.E.W. heavyweight for .504 at 620 grains.

I know of one other mould he will be getting which is a .504 clone of a NoExcuses conical at 460 grains. I've shot some bullets from that NE Clone mould, very nice.

Pricing will continue to be per the scale on his website (which goes by weight). Add 15% to stated prices for pure lead.

I have magically added the Bower's designed N.E.W. in .451, 466 grains to the picture below which is now ready to produce thanks to the generosity of Ed Mehlig.

bullshop.jpg

Just wondering about the bullet you mentioned..

600 grain .504.. don't that sound a little excessive in size. That would have to be well over the inch long. I was shooting some 533 grain R.E.A.L. clone type conicals out of the rifle and that is a lot of lead to push down the bore of the rifle. Although the accuracy was very good.

The 460 & 495 NE clone sound like an interesting bullet. I will be looking forward to some product testing from you guys...

thanks for the updated information...

Dan at Bullshop has stated that all the bullet moulds mentioned above (except the TooTall mould) are ready to fill orders. Just email your orders in and his wife will return an email with a billing amount.

By my calculation, 500 of any of his conicals weighing between 400 and 500 grains each would cost a total of $97.75 plus $10 shipping.

107.75 divided by 500 = 21.55 cents per bullet.

At $2 per pound of lead with an average yield of 15 large conicals per pound, cost per bullet just based upon the cost of raw lead is over 13 cents. I've no idea where else a person could get such a deal on quality pure lead bullets!

I've used the example of 500 as that is about as many as can be ordered in one of those flat-rate boxes they use. The 500 bullets could also be a mix of calibers and weights.

Latest posts

Back