Plunger guns vs break opens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got Black Diamonds, Omegas and a variety of break open guns and they’re all accurate enough for my purposes but I haven’t taken anything other than a break open gun hunting in a long long time. I prefer them for the simplicity and primer accessibility.

A lot of it is opinion But there is some factual data that supports a bolt/plunger rifle to be more accurate and consistent. A free floating barrel for one thing.. BUT I know of many break action rifles that shoot very very well, less than 1 moa typically with the right load.

I Currently own 26 muzzleloading rifles..only one is a break action..it’s a cva wolf. It’s cheap enough I use it as a loaner rifle so I don’t have to worry about it getting beat up or Damaged..I’ve owned optima’s, encores, and even one traditions break action..the encore had the best action in my opinion..the rest are very clunky feeling..and they don’t handle very well.. my black diamonds handle very well as well as my knights…

Now I gotta say if I had to choose one action and one only..it would be the drop away breech from The omega platform..after all the omegas are half of my stock of rifles.. short profile, handles like a rifle, free floated barrel and super easy to clean. Hands down the best design in my opinion for an inline rifle

Last edited:
Generally speaking those that have experience with both types which did you find more accurate ?
In generally all encounters, one can get any muzzleloader not damaged or pitted, to become accurate enough.

What puts the break-action on a higher plateau is keeping the bottoms of scopes much-much more free of powder debris after a range visit.

On another plus-side, odds of a hang-fire or miss-fire during humid or rainy weather go way down owning a break-action.

Plungers and bolt-actions have never interested me. It's why I never owned a White Muzzleloader and I highly respected Doc White and was in awe of his product's quality and accuracy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back