Plunger guns vs break opens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the same rifle, and yes it was a very good rifle, best rifle of that type I have ever shot..
Just still preferred the break action.
However, I gave all them up because they still just don't compare to shooting traditional.
Personal preference.
That's OK my friend. To each his own. I only own one muzzy long gun right now, which is that Knight. But it has worked well for me. I do have a B.P. revolver though, as well.

I’ve had plunger (traditions 209 tracker), hinge (break) action- TC Encore and a NEF Huntsman, Bolt action Knight Disc Extreme and currently using TC Omega.
Accuracy IMO all dwindles down to “lock time”.
And if using optics- the quality of scope. I use the Nikon Omega. Leupold makes a dandy muzzleloader scope or did- I’d love to get one of these for a spare Encore 209x50 barrel I have it in use.
Accuracy also depends on many other factors/variables ie; seating pressure, charge weight/volume consistency, type/style of projectile
Etc etc. These days however I seem to be shooting my flintlocks or sidelock.
I nearly purchased the CVA Paramount last year but realized all my shots at game are 100yds or less.
YMMV
Cheers all!
Stay healthy stay safe!!

I’ve had plunger (traditions 209 tracker), hinge (break) action- TC Encore and a NEF Huntsman, Bolt action Knight Disc Extreme and currently using TC Omega.
Accuracy IMO all dwindles down to “lock time”.
And if using optics- the quality of scope. I use the Nikon Omega. Leupold makes a dandy muzzleloader scope or did- I’d love to get one of these for a spare Encore 209x50 barrel I have it in use.
Accuracy also depends on many other factors/variables ie; seating pressure, charge weight/volume consistency, type/style of projectile
Etc etc. These days however I seem to be shooting my flintlocks or sidelock.
I nearly purchased the CVA Paramount last year but realized all my shots at game are 100yds or less.
YMMV
Cheers all!
Stay healthy stay safe!!
You're a real hunter....

Plungers for me! My Firehawk is the most accurate and consistent rifle I've ever owned. I make no distinction between breech and muzzleloader. She's given me the largest collection of inch or less 3 shot groups at 100 yards than any other rifle I've had. I zeroed her 4 1/2 years ago and haven't had to touch a thing since. Btw, she's aperture sighted.
There is one other SERIOUS advantage to plunger guns
A one piece, full length, non- telescoping rammer.

I assume by "plunger gun" you are referring to bolt action? Despite bolts being slightly more accurate (1 moa VS 1.5 moa) the break open guns average about 3 inches shorter for the same barrel length. This is more important to me than a slight accuracy advantage as most shots here in Ct are 100 yds or less.

I have both and either I'm lucky or my Accura V2 is just as accurate as my Mountaineer or my 700mls. My Encores however not so much. They shoot well mind you but not the best in either .45 or .50. It just depends on the luck of the draw. Now a custom rifle is an entirely different animal. Those are normally bolt or plunger and are scary accurate.
As for cleaning either its all the same to me.

I assume by "plunger gun" you are referring to bolt action? Despite bolts being slightly more accurate (1 moa VS 1.5 moa) the break open guns average about 3 inches shorter for the same barrel length. This is more important to me than a slight accuracy advantage as most shots here in Ct are 100 yds or less.
Plunger guns aren’t really bolt actions, it’s more like a straight line hammer.

I never had an accuracy problem with my CVAs break actions my optima pro my optima and my Acura. All 45 calibers shooting blackhorn and sabots all shoot cloverleafs at 100 yards. Killed deer out to 175 yards with the Acura. Most shots are under 100 most of the time.

I would like to add a response but it really does not do anything for the Topic Thread. I have a .50 T/C Blk. Dia. XR Express, it has extra to do on cleaning. It has the QLA, i use sabots with it n its a deer killer. I have had 2 Break actions an early H&R Huntsman in .45 with a BP, was easy to clean n accurate also a deer killer. So is my NEF converted .45, so i don't have anything to complain about.

I have Knight plunger guns and an Omega. The Knight's all have the 209 conversion which they used to sell. They shoot lights out and minimal fouling. The Omega is the hands down best ML ever made in my opinion. It's not really a break action, though.
I have a Knight I converted to 209....love that gun!

I like both types of muzzleloaders. I've got an older hunterbolt mag that I used for years and killed a lot of deer with. The break actions are easier to clean. I love my Accura V2 Lr!

H&R had a break action out before knight rifle was even a thought. Have you ever tried to clean a percussion break action such as a western edition cva? Sure is not any easier to clean than a plunger gun.
I agree. I haven't noticed any difference in ease of cleaning between the two.

Those "western" compliant break actions like the Optima ect are a just as much of PITA to clean well if you do it right. The entire fire pin assembly and stock needs to come off to hose it out. Then you cant even inspect what you THINK you cleaned. At least with a Knight i can remove each part in minutes and no tool needed to get at my firing pin.

A complete visual inspection of all critical parts is a snap. You cant ever do that with a most break action trigger group assemblies. Its hose them out and hope you got it all.

The two things break actions have better than bolt/plunger guns (IMO) is:

1- Shorter overall length for the same barrel length
2- Typically are sealed at the breech from the factory (though some are purposely vented to meet western hunting regulations).

Bolt guns that can have the breech sealed have always shot better for me and are what I prefer
(Remington 700 ML/MLS and Ruger 77-50 are my two favorites)

The ability to reach-out and touch an animal in a 'handy' rifle is what I want, and my Remington 700MLS has always been my preferred rifle. Though the Ruger 77-50 is super handy. On my own land I have 200yd shots, but most are 150yds or shorter. That is where the bolt guns that are sealed up shine.

Back