Choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white eagle

Reaction score
So our general gun season opens this coming Saturday.
My choices are the 250 gr. Fury the 250 gr. Parker and the 300 gr. Pittman they are accurate so which would you choose?
I am leaning towards the 250 gr Parker but haven't really settled on any yet
Help!

So our general gun season opens this coming Saturday.
My choices are the 250 gr. Fury the 250 gr. Parker and the 300 gr. Pittman they are accurate so which would you choose?
I am leaning towards the 250 gr Parker but haven't really settled on any yet
Help!
I'd never hunt with the Parker BE bc it is a non bonded grenading bullet. The Pittmans are good bullets, but theres no need at all for a 300g bullet on a whitetail, the Fury 250g ST2P is an excellent performing & very accurate bullet. I use the 275g & 225g version of it. Inside of 300yds, that 250g fury is more than enough bullet without the grenading & overkill

I have used the Furys and the Parkers- both have killed deer for me, but each Parker that was used did not expand and did not pass through- the recovered bulletsvlooked like the ends had simply been cut off with scissors. I have used the bonded Furys and never recovered one, but they seem to have good expansion. A note however, Furys shot extremely well for me out to about 125yrds, and then the groups totally opened up- the bullets began to tumble on me for whatever reason. Now I am exclusively shooting Arrowhead 300gr NSR bullets out of my smokeless ML. Whatever range you m8ght be taking a shot at, verify that the bullet is going to be accurate at that distance.

Didn't know that about the Parkers.
What is it the jacket thin?
I think I will use the Pittman's will shoot again today
thanks for the replies

Glad I read this. Just sighted in 250gr Parker for hunting season. Starts Friday morning, f yah...Guess I'll be going back to the 250gr hornady or try those bore drivers I haven't shot yet.
Everyone is right about the Parker's however I have killed a lot of deer with the 275gr Parker BE under 75 yards.

Ninering is 1000% correct on those Fury's which is what I ended up switching to with my Knight.

Everyone is right about the Parker's however I have killed a lot of deer with the 275gr Parker BE under 75 yards.

Ninering is 1000% correct on those Fury's which is what I ended up switching to with my Knight.

What Fury's would one use in a 50 cal muzzy? With a sabot or without? I'll order some tonight and will swing into Scheels here shortly on my way to deer camp to see if they have anything good.

What Fury's would one use in a 50 cal muzzy? With a sabot or without? I'll order some tonight and will swing into Scheels here shortly on my way to deer camp to see if they have anything good.
I shoot bullet to bore so I can't help with the sabot. My buddy ordered the .50 cal sizing pack direct from Fury. I don't believe you will find Fury's at any box store.

Glad I read this. Just sighted in 250gr Parker for hunting season. Starts Friday morning, f yah...Guess I'll be going back to the 250gr hornady or try those bore drivers I haven't shot yet.
What county will you be hunting? I'm down in Perry- will have my smokeless, but if I get something nice with that will switch to my dad's custom side lock with patch and ball.

went and sighted in again
I am going to use the 275 gr Fury's
they will be shot out of aa 40 cal Knight Peregrine sized to .4015 sent down range with Blackhorn 209

went and sighted in again
I am going to use the 275 gr Fury's
they will be shot out of aa 40 cal Knight Peregrine sized to .4015 sent down range with Blackhorn 209
How much BH209 are you using with those bullets? I am thinking about trying BH209 in my McGowen .40 1:16 twist SML.

I go on the heavy side when I use Blackhorn in this rifle
and for whatever reason my rifle shoots best when loaded heavy
( I am still within the manufacture's charge parameters)
I don't like sharing my loads because I do not know what others equipment is like and would hate to have someone follow my load recommendation and have something bad happen
its best to ladder test and find a charge that works for your set up

I'd never hunt with the Parker BE bc it is a non bonded grenading bullet. The Pittmans are good bullets, but theres no need at all for a 300g bullet on a whitetail, the Fury 250g ST2P is an excellent performing & very accurate bullet. I use the 275g & 225g version of it. Inside of 300yds, that 250g fury is more than enough bullet without the grenading & overkill
Wow Ninering it sounds like you're going with the 250 Fury. The only comment I have is what you said about the 300 gr bullet. I killed quite a few with the 300 gr bullet and to tell you the truth, they ain't any deader! Good luck

Back