Patriot arms TC Omega barrel upgrade!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the privilege this evening of shooting a Patriot arms McGowan 1 and 18 twist replacement barrel and a first for me, shooting smokeless with a 209 primer, the barrel came with a beautiful breech plug that has an internal second part that allows the shooter to adjust headspace to fit most common 209 primers. The barrel has a beautiful nitride finish it came with a nice picatinny base and the screws that Mark sends with the base some of the nicest I've ever seen ,,, again some of the nicest machining that I've seen in the muzzle loading industry so far not only did I see that in his Patriot but I see it in these kits also. Mark sent me a breachplug for 209 blackhorn I put it up on the shelf I'm going to shoot this rifle smokeless for a while I tend to shoot very mild loads in my smokeless guns anyway so I'm sure not going to ask this gun to do something it wasn't meant for but I am going to shoot a lot of different bullets in it and just see what I can get out of it.
I will be doing all the testing with a sightron s-tac 4 to 20 power,, headspace the rifle for federal 209s, this first excited group when I got home tonight from putting the gun together was an old lot of h4198 from about 20 years ago this is 56 grains of h4198 light blue sabot and a fury 225 open tip knurled up to a 403. Since it's so hot where I live I'm just going to probably skip a lot of sabo shooting and do some bull riding here this weekend I'll let everyone know my results for all you Omega freaks out there I don't know how you're going to not have one of these,,, I would start obsessing about it now and get in line!!! Post more results this weekend preliminary looks okay the work , the product is absolute first class.
if you have shot the brux 1-20 how do you think the mcgowen barrel compares accuracy wise ?

I love a cut rifle barrel and I was a little skeptical about the McGowan button, mine shoots lights out I'm very impressed . Originally when I talked to Mark and started to put the project together I was going to wait on the brux,, when Mark offered to go ahead and put the action in the barrel together and block together and get the gun assembled and said he could do it with the McGowan I jumped on it I'm glad I did I think I mentioned in some of my comments how accurate the McGowan Barrel is with sabots,, it also shot very well bore riding. The most forgiving Barrel that I have ,that I shoot smokeless is a 450-457 Wilson Barrel it was originally meant for a 45-70 it is button rifled and by most forgiving I mean it is not the most accurate Barrel that I have I have Kriegers and Shillings Rock Creek that will put bullets in the same hole however the Wilson Barrel across the board is more consistent with multiple loads than any of my other cut rifle barrels I never expected that I sure would take a chance on the McGowan if I had to do over again.

This is what McGowen offers in 458. Anything else would be special order that requires someone buying the button.
1-8″ (8 Groove)
1-10″ (8 Groove)
1-14″ (6 & 8 Groove)
1-16″ (8 Groove)
1-18″ (8 Groove)
1-22″ (8 Groove)
1-24″ (6 Groove)

Back in the day when converting MLIIs to 45 were the rage we used 2 barrels mainly. Pacnor 45 1-22 8 land and the McGowen 1-22 8 land because most of us were shooting mostly sabots.

Wanna try a butter smooth button rifle barrel?...Try a Pacnor Super Match Grade. That is whats on my SavPac 45. Its spot on .450 lands as best i can measure.
https://pac-nor.com/barrels/
Super-Match barrels are made using a proprietary rifling button design which yields barrels that have an extremely uniform rate of twist for the ultimate in accuracy potential. Super-Match barrels are designed with a unique land/groove geometry which ensures a good bullet gas seal with minimal bullet distortion. This special land/groove configuration also substantially reduces metal fouling in the barrel when the barrel is properly broken-in. All Super-Match barrels are carefully hand-lapped to a fine lustre finish and exhibit the exceptional dimensional uniformity required for the high level of accuracy possible using this product.

Last edited:
What does the number in the number of lands and grooves have to do with accuracy?I am not sure of the twist.All I know is Mark said it is one of the best barrels he has made so far.Again,what does that have to do with accuracy in a barrel?Then again I guess all of his barrels are exceptionaly well made.

JES makes super accurate barrels in 2 lands. Honestly I don't think it matters as much as people think

if mark had to buy a button it seems like he would have a reason . maybe to offer something unique/custom ???

and the brux barrel is a 6 land also so the difference is in how the rifling is done . a button on mcgowens and cut on the brux , and i'm told the brux barrels need about a hour of hand laping .....

Last edited:
I wonder why ASG and Hankins dont need to hand lap their Brux barrels?

Maybe this is why.
https://bruxbarrels.com/
We start with 4150 chrome-moly or 416R stainless steel double stress relieved bar stock, bore with the renowned Barnes gun drill, ream with an industry-standard Pratt & Whitney reamer, and then hand lap each barrel to our high-precision standards. If there is the slightest deviation in surface finish or tolerance, the barrel is discarded.

BTW How many F Class shooters you think use McGowen and how many you think use Brux. ;)

Back