Parker Ballistic Extremes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
I want to try some of the Parker Ballistic Extremes or one of their identical counterparts marketed under different brands. I would be shooting them out of a Savage 10ML-II for the sole purpose of whitetail hunting. What would you suggest I try, the 250's or the 275's? I'm a little concerned with the fact that they are .450" bullets and even with an HPH12 or MMP short black sabot, the loaded diameter may be on the loose side. I know several of you have shot the Parkers, let me know your experiences with them.

The 275gr has been my favorite so far. I like that weight bullet because it has a better BC than 250gr, doesn't loose that much velocity over a 250gr, and not as much recoil as a 300gr. 44gr SR-4759 and a short black MMP/HPH-12 will just about shoot into one hole at 100yds out of several different 10ML-IIs. JJ uses the same bullet but 5744. I personally know of a LOT of whitetail/hogs than have been shot with the 275gr and I would recommend it without hesitation. Of course both of my ULAs and my blue/synthetic 10ML-II are set up with the 275gr Parker and 44gr SR-4759.

Craig, one of Tom's friends from Ohio, showed up with a NIB 10ML-II at the hog hunt earlier this year. We put mounts, bases, a Burris FF-II(2-7X35 I think) on the muzzleloader just before dark. Using 42gr SR-4759 and a 250gr Ballistic Extreme/MMP short black sabot(what the bullet comes with) had the rifle sighted in ready to hunt in 3 shots! Craig went on to shoot a BIG hog with that load and it did a GREAT job. I don't think his shot was more than 10yds and the hog certainly didn't go 10 feet after being shot. In saying THIS..after seeing what a great job that bullet did on Craigs hog and how good it shot in his 10ML-II, I am probably going to set up at least one rig with the 250gr Ballistic Extreme.

I have shot the 275's quite a bit and am very impressed with them. I have yet to shoot the 250's mostly because the 275's are so good.

Sabot wise, the BE's come with short mmp and they work pretty good for me in my 10ML's.

I have had great success with them and 5744/4759 42-44g..

Nic, I have not tried the BE's for the very reason you spoke of, the .450 dia. The .451 Barnes 275 XPB loads similar to a 250SST-HPH24 combo in my gun. A .451 250 TMZ in a HPH 12 is very loose because of the short bearing surface, I have to knurl them up to .452 to get a snug fit. The 275 BE should have more bearing surface "Doohan might be able to verify" which should help over the 250 in case you find they are loose, and you can always knurl either up to .451 to increase loading resistance. Hope this helps.

It was my understanding that the 275 BE's slightly obturate in the bore upon firing? Give Bob Parker a call.... he's a heckuva nice guy and will honestly answer any questions or concerns you may have. I think my load with the 275's was 44 gr. of 4759. They're so darn accurate who cares if they are loose in the bore.... they'll load easier!
DSC02623Medium.jpg

DSC02639Medium.jpg

RECOVERED PARKER 275 BE:
DSC02650Medium.jpg

I ordered a box of the 250 gr. Remington Express PT's from Bass Pro Shops (think the 275's may be out of stock) and a bag of short black MMP's from Del. BPS has the Remington branded Parkers on sale and their shipping is more reasonable than some places. I didn't want to go overboard on them until I can see if they are a good, snug fit in my Savage barrel.

Back