Over Powder Wads

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hi

About to start seriously messing with my 54 Renegade and bullet tests. I have overpowder wads I'll be using with any heavy bullet and 100 grains or more of powder.

What is the correct way to use them? And how to use them in a speed loader?

Thanks, Jeff

I always use lubed overpowder wads for all conicals except Minies with the concave bases, regardless of the powder charge. I just use a dab of bore butter (or other conical lube) on the bottom of the bullet base to hold it in place on the way down. I don't use them with speed loaders so I cannot help you there. You might post to the "Sidelock Muzzleloading" section for more responses.

tooldog

You wads should be purchased a little oversized and your speed loader will also be somewhat larger than caliber. I should think it would be fine to simply load powder/wad/bullet in rifle or loader (perhaps reversed in the loader). The nitro card wads I use are dry and I prefer them dry.

Simply load a charge of powder, seat the wad (even thin ones go down pretty well oriented when pushed with the loading jag), then seat your bullet atop the wad. A nicety of the larger card wads I use is the definite sound that is produced when the bullet contacts it.

As regards seating pressure of both the wad and bullet - try to do it as nearly the same each time as is possible. Really nothing out of the ordinary in that process. Variations in seating pressure will cause inaccuracies - wad or not.

http://circlefly.com/ has .560 nitro card wads in the 1/8" thickness at $8/1000 .550 would maybe have been better but I don't see any.

I'm a little ignorant on the card wad. At what gr of bullet weight do you use them and is it's purpose to help keep more gas from passing the projectile thus increasing the effectiveness of your given powder charge?

I currently shoot maxi's at 375 gr. Would you recommend using them?
I'll soon have some of Bullshop Bullets sample pack of 200 assorted gr bullets that range between 300 and 500 gr.
Help me understand this guys or do I already?

Dave

I don't know of any upper/lower boundaries in weight for a wad to be effective. The idea is to make a better and more consistent gas seal AND to prevent the high temps from distorting the base of the lead conical. As to whether they will increase your rifle's accuracy, only you will know. I've yet to read of anyone using wads that experienced an accuracy loss, most seem to gain.

The Maxi might well benefit from the addition of a wad - you won't know until you give it a whirl.

I know Doc White doesnt usem when shooting heavy conicals. I asked him re his opine when I bot my new Super 91 couple years ago. Doc said they just slow him down in the loading process!!! :lol:

I dont usem nor see need to in shooting 460 grain conicals in my .504 White (load 75 grains 3fg 777).

Back