Original Thompson Omega stock for Smokeless build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone used a standard T/C Omega laminate stock with a smokeless build? I have a very nice laminate stock that I’d like to use with the barrel I have coming from Mark.
But if they won’t stand up, I’d hate to ruin this stock. It’s a very uncommon color (I’ve only seen two, this color)
I thought I had read Jeff (Bestill) say there was an issue and why he recommended the Boyd’s but can’t find that anywhere…

Bestill says by the time you fit the stock to the larger contour barrel you have very little material left…it makes a lot of sense when you compare a Boyd’s..but I do think I have seen one with a factory laminate on it I can’t remember where though.

Last edited:
What’s the contour of the new barrel? I think Mark is making factory contour (~1”) as well as larger.
Be honest, I’m not positive about the complete contour but when I asked about the muzzle for a brake, he said it’s .790 @ 26”.

So I’m wondering just how far it’d have to be opened if at all. It’s definitely a lighter contour than what Jeff, uses…

Mark is using 2 barrels when I spoke to him. A factory spec McGowan(which I have and is the same size as factory) and the larger sized Brux.

Be honest, I’m not positive about the complete contour but when I asked about the muzzle for a brake, he said it’s .790 @ 26”.

So I’m wondering just how far it’d have to be opened if at all. It’s definitely a lighter contour than what Jeff, uses…
Mark said that his 1.0 Omega barrels run a hair bigger than the factory Omega barrel dia & the shank on his barrels is 8"L. The Boyds Varmint TH & I think the Pro Varmint are inletted for bull barrels according to a Boyds rep. They may work without much altering, or no altering to put one of Marks barrels in it. Save the factory Omega stock for something like finding a .45 1:20 barrel for it & upgrade the BP & shoot BH 209 out of it. Orrrrrr, sell it at a premium price onine.

Back