Oregon muzzleloader regulations

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing wrong with modern muzzle loaders......or .209 primers....

I agree, nothing wrong with them at all. Their popularity does help keep the sport going. But they're not my "cup of tea".

They are trying to keep it a "short range season" (apparently they've never seen some of the conical boys shoot, such as Idaholewis) with those kinds of rules, looking for 100 yards or less type of capability. They also know a lot of folks simply can't/won't put in the time for accurate load development, so it will also reduce the amount of hunters for that season. It is all about having a lower harvest success rate.

Years ago we saw Colorado use this type of thinking (if that's what it's called). The numbers for wounded game tripled ... :rolleyes: ...🤔 In a meeting with the DOW they did everything they could to not have a Muzzleloading Season, claimed it cost them money to run a Special Season. We the Colorado Muzzleloading Group showed them their own figures on licenses sold and wages paid to monitor the season, meeting was adjourned.

Last edited:
Oregon is an either or state. You can hunt either bow, any legal weapon or muzzleloader season not all three, and muzzleloader hunts are draw only. You can get (with a few exceptions) one deer tag and one elk tag per year. A few years back we did have bullet length restrictions, no more than twice bore diameter (.50 cal no more than 1 inch long) etc. this restriction has been removed. In 2019 they removed the restriction on jacketed bullets but still no plastic down the barrel. Also in 2019 and 2020 they failed/forgot to put the comma after (scopes) "scopes or sights that use batteries". To me this says that as long as my scope doesn't use batteries I'm good to go. I don't think that is what they mean and I don't want to see scopes allowed so I hope they fix this. The matchlock restriction is due to fire danger, as if muzzleloaders don't shoot fire out of the barrel.

Nothing wrong with modern muzzle loaders......or .209 primers....
No there isn't, but muzzleloader hunting season was started for traditional weapons. Just like archery season. It was the characteristics of the weapon and hunter. Modern muzzleloaders are not even similar in characteristics. Use them in normal rifle season with scopes and longer ranges. The season was for the older technology.

No there isn't, but muzzleloader hunting season was started for traditional weapons. Just like archery season. It was the characteristics of the weapon and hunter. Modern muzzleloaders are not even similar in characteristics. Use them in normal rifle season with scopes and longer ranges. The season was for the older technology.
I disagree, as it is really about limiting the hunter to one shot. A muzzle loader is a muzzle loader.

Years ago we saw Colorado use this type of thinking (if that's what it's called). The numbers for wounded game tripled ... :rolleyes: ...🤔 In a meeting with the DOW they did everything they could to not have a Muzzleloading Season, claimed it cost them money to run a Special Season. We the Colorado Muzzleloading Group showed them their own figures on licenses sold and wages paid to monitor the season, meeting was adjourned.

The people that run CPW aren't always the brightest bulb in the package....as you say Buck....thinking is very questionable with any government agency.

I disagree, as it is really about limiting the hunter to one shot. A muzzle loader is a muzzle loader.
Maybe now with more liberal ideals, but wasn't here in NY 35 years ago when instituted. Was specifically for the limited workings like bow. Now people with zero interest in muzzleloaders buy the inlines to get one more week in to fill that tag. I never needed the black powder season I filled my tags with my muzzloader in center fire season.

Last year my buddy used a 209 CVA inline. It misfired twice. My caplock KLR had no issues. I have zero trust in shitty in-lines or plastic tipped projectiles.

I believe that ML season should be primative, none of this inline B.S. I also agree that ML season should only allow PRB, Conicals or Maxi's (Lead)......and none of the plastic tipped crap. If a person want's to shoot in-lines and plastic tipped projectiles...do it in rifle season.

I believe that ML season should be primative, none of this inline B.S. I also agree that ML season should only allow PRB, Conicals or Maxi's (Lead)......and none of the plastic tipped crap. If a person want's to shoot in-lines and plastic tipped projectiles...do it in rifle season.
That was the way it was in Colorado, originally setup in 1970. PRIMITIVE RIFLE SEASON ONLY Then money came into the picture with the manufacturers making donations and the rules got changed under the table. Strum Ruger started this with process with Remington and Knight following with their donations. The DOW claimed those funds would be used to feed the animals in the winter. They didn't mention when asked at a meeting with them at 6060 Broadway Denver, who's pockets got a silver lining, bastards. :mad:

Side Note "LongRifle"
The Colorado State Muzzleloading Association was started by a small group in northern Colorado in 1968 (not what these different websites say). It grew with the front range clubs joining and got as large as 1,210 members in 1978 with our club "The Buckskinners" (started in 1973) leading the way for over 20 years.

Now less than 300 members with lack of leadership, new blood is needed with regaining the interest of old.

By the way LongRifle I lived and hunted in Larimer County for 40 years, was the one that started the Buckhorn Skinners Mountainman Club in 1973 on our property. This group took over the CSMLA in 1978 and built it to the 1,210 membership and started the CSMLA Squirrel Shoot in 1974 (which is still going).

Like the old saying "Been There Done That".

update_7-7-18009001_med_hr.jpeg

Last edited:
Last year my buddy used a 209 CVA inline. It misfired twice. My caplock KLR had no issues. I have zero trust in shitty in-lines or plastic tipped projectiles.

Now, now, calm down...to each his own...we all love responsible gun owners:cheers:

I detest these modern in-lines; but I do not begrudge those who like them. It at least keeps hunting an active sport. I hunt with flintlocks all seasons, primitive and rifle season. I never feel inadequate carrying and using them at any time.

As a long term Hunter Education Instructor I point out the plusses and minuses of traditional side lock arms and the new-fangled plastic and stainless creations. I even own one of the so-called "modern muzzleloaders", bought with a HE instructor discount, to use as a demonstrator in classes. ( I own several arms bought specifically for demo use) I don't care for the modern guns, with their shorter sight radii, disassembly for cleaning, and needing a tool to remove spent cap or shotgun primer or an adapter for the primer.

We have regular ML events at the BRC, with modern guns welcome so long as they shoot a patched round ball. This will work if a mild charge and a tight, tough patch is used. My observation is that after one or two shoots the modern ML owners show up with a sidelock and have more fun.

What I really don't like is the merchandising of these modern versions as being long range arms. At anything over 100 yards, the modern contraptions suffer just as much from bullet drop as my Renegade. How many people are good enough at range estimation to place the bullet in the boiler room, and do they know the trajectory of their load well enough to do the job? Personally, my range estimation comes down to "close enough" or "too far".

As a long term Hunter Education Instructor I point out the plusses and minuses of traditional side lock arms and the new-fangled plastic and stainless creations. I even own one of the so-called "modern muzzleloaders", bought with a HE instructor discount, to use as a demonstrator in classes. ( I own several arms bought specifically for demo use) I don't care for the modern guns, with their shorter sight radii, disassembly for cleaning, and needing a tool to remove spent cap or shotgun primer or an adapter for the primer.

We have regular ML events at the BRC, with modern guns welcome so long as they shoot a patched round ball. This will work if a mild charge and a tight, tough patch is used. My observation is that after one or two shoots the modern ML owners show up with a sidelock and have more fun.

What I really don't like is the merchandising of these modern versions as being long range arms. At anything over 100 yards, the modern contraptions suffer just as much from bullet drop as my Renegade. How many people are good enough at range estimation to place the bullet in the boiler room, and do they know the trajectory of their load well enough to do the job? Personally, my range estimation comes down to "close enough" or "too far".

I too am a Hunter education instructor in Montana and as a part of the field course, I have all the kids shoot one shot with a percussion muzzleloader. 10 grains of powder with a patched round ball, using genuine black powder so that they get a whiff of that too, and most think it's a hoot. At that particular amount of powder, fire comes out the barrel as well as smoke and if you shoot it against a steel plate at 50 feet, it will flatten the round ball to about the size of a $.50 piece. I hope I instill in some of them the desire to hunt with a primitive rifle sometime in their life.
Squint

I was a Colorado Hunter Education Instructor from 1974 up to 1990, with the DOW and their way of running business I quit. They are sneaky with rule changes they pull, not saying anything until they are questioned on the change !@#$%^ :mad:

Back