Omega recoil pad screw hole stripped

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmbrac

Reaction score
Replaced my recoil pad today and when reinstalling, the screws won’t tighten fully. Just keep spinning. Anyone use epoxy to fill the holes and redrill? Normally I’d use dowels on wood stock but this is the first time I’ve had the issue on a synthetic stock. Thanks

An anchor like one of these just might work, and would be a simple fix.

plasticanchor.jpg

How about trying a bit bigger screw, I did that with a trigger guard screw and it's been good for a couple years now

Hello Pmbrac, first i would remove said recoil pad. Then take screws that do not tighten and screw them in without pad to see what is really happening. This should let you know how to fix your problem. I have cut off many stocks for other people, usually have to drill a pilot hole the same size as the screw shank size, so the threads are tightening in new hole only. Buy doing this you lesson the chances of not cracking the wood or plastic stocks. Also prelube screws with wax or grease when initially screwing in..Bigger screws, longer screws, ect. .when you get the new screws to work then take out and add recoil pad. Fix it right the first time so you do not have problems down the road. Shorty..

I would insert toothpicks in the holes, break them off, try re inserting the original screws. If that does not work, which i think it will, go to plan B.

I would insert toothpicks in the holes, break them off, try re inserting the original screws. If that does not work, which i think it will, go to plan B.
Ive done that with wood stocks, I like to add a little wood glue with them. His synthetic stock may not hang onto them as well.

It’s not like your going to be taking the screw in and out all the time. A couple tooth picks should tighten it up.
Whys this Sooooo hard….

Lots of great responses here. I ended up just using epoxy to fill, redrilled the hole and now screws are nice and tight. Obviously there’s a bunch of effective ways to solve this issue. Thanks

Latest posts

Back