Old Powder and Caps?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Cooper

Reaction score
I have 2 cans of Goex 2F that are about 25 years old and have never been opened. I also have 2, 1000 ct boxes of Remington <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps, also never opened. Both were/are stored in a dry cabinet. Should I expect much, if any, performance loss in these materials?

If both were sealed they will be fine.  Black powder does not deteriorate with age, even if opened. I have caps that have been opened for 20+ years that still go bang.  Keep yer powder dry...…...robin :)

The old foil lined Rem. caps seem to last forever if kept stored dry in low humidity. GOEX unopened, NO PROBLEM.

I'm currently on the last can of FFg Goex that was bought /rec'd 10/10/2008. The next in line are 3 cans of same from 4/12/2012. I was one of 2 guys i n our BP club who ordered for our group for our demo's, reenactments and shooting competitions. We'd find cost per pound, let members know. They'd order and pay for their order. When we had enough cans ordered for a 25 or 50# order. It was ordered and we'd get it in 3-4 days. I send emails and call the members. They'd pick it up or I'd take it to our upcoming event and they'd get their order. It was for members only and they paid the cost of their order at the price of a pound by how many they got. This is an advantage of a club membership. I usually ordered, as our other guy was our artillery Sgt. who also had a pyro-technition license and often ordered larger amounts for his work use, We ordered fro Powder, INC.com You register and can order. Price is based on product and amount (1, 5, 10, 25# lots)

I just shoot a bunch of 2F DuPont Black Powder at a club shoot. The date code on the can was 02-66! It shot ok in my flintlock, but I will relegate it to my cap locks as it seemed to have slight ignition issues. I don’t think it was age but the actual quality of the powder.

I did a lot of shooting with old (at least 35 years) Dupont 3F & 4F along with musket caps just as old. Still have an unopened can of Dupont 4F.

As long as you keep the screw lid/cap on the powder can, and your caps dry, they should work just fine.
Age alone does not cause them to deteriorate.

Now that I think about it, the issues I had probably had more to do with swabbing the barrel and pushing some damp fouling into the touch hole area. When it lit, it went just fine.

Real black powder does not go bad. Even if it gets wet, it can be dried out to be used. The mountain men in the 1820's had their powder get wet often when crossing rivers, or caught in heavy rains. They spread the powder out on flat rocks in the sun until it was dried, and put it back in their horns for use. I do not believe the same is true for the substitute powders.

black powder is like women & whiskey & wine, they get better & improve with age!! rely don't hesitate to shoot it. and caps as long as they are kept in a dry environment they will be fine also!

I am still using caps and powder I bought in 1975-80's when we shot matches every month, rondy 2-3 times a year and a trip or three to the Colorado St. Shoot. We bought in bulk as it was difficult to find locally then. Kept in cool dry environment. Had to buy some 2F from Graff & Sons recently though. Pillow ticking I bought by the yard back then is still serviceable.

Shoot them, those cans are fine. I have been shooting, blowing up stuff with old Goex that's 35-40 years old, still works as good as ever.

I wish we could blow up stuff up here in Canada lol. Lotsa busy beavers damming up hunting areas and flooding them out.
As for the powder and caps. Ya I’ve picked up a few estate sales and what not with old caps and powder. Even some Pyrodex. One can Bp I have is Curtis and Harvey 2f. All of them still make smoke ;)

kept dry it will last indefinitely! same with caps, sometimes they get a little verdigris.

Back