New mosin 20 year wait

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half-Cocked

Reaction score
Many many years ago, I owned a mosin nagant. I have always had a love for vintage rifles. That mosin I purchased for $125 in California from a sporting good store. I never got to shoot it but believe me, it got held more than my girlfriend at the time. That’s probably why the relationship ended and subsequently she got rid of my rifle.

About three years ago, I started collecting guns again. Right at the worst time I must’ve been bored from the pandemic. One of the guns on my list was the old mosin, and I lost.

Well, as many of you know, the prices have gone through the roof that $125 rifle will still around, but the price tag was now closer to 1000.

Recently, I was at a local gun store and I saw a mosin got that had a glow around it, and I knew it was destined to be mine. The price tag read $500. I was willing to pay that.

This gun was beautiful. It had matching serial numbers and a sling. I put it on layaway immediately. When I did, I was informed that it also included a bayonet and ammo pouch. The tools needed to take the bolt apart, and an oil can.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic. When I was done with the layaway, I also noticed that they were running a sale $500 turned into $425 even better.

20 years I’ve missed this rifle and for the first few weeks it’s been sitting in my closet.

Matching serial numbers on everything from the Tula arsenal a hex receiver, with a very unique XO 47 stamp. This folks is the crown jewel of my collection.

One of the other pieces that I had was a Turkish Ankara 8 mm Mauser. I have a feeling I’ll be picking one of those up when the time is right.

Here are the pics.
IMG_0816.jpegIMG_0812.jpegIMG_0813.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpeg
    13.1 MB · Views: 0
Many many years ago, I owned a mosin nagant. I have always had a love for vintage rifles. That mosin I purchased for $125 in California from a sporting good store. I never got to shoot it but believe me, it got held more than my girlfriend at the time. That’s probably why the relationship ended and subsequently she got rid of my rifle.

About three years ago, I started collecting guns again. Right at the worst time I must’ve been bored from the pandemic. One of the guns on my list was the old mosin, and I lost.

Well, as many of you know, the prices have gone through the roof that $125 rifle will still around, but the price tag was now closer to 1000.

Recently, I was at a local gun store and I saw a mosin got that had a glow around it, and I knew it was destined to be mine. The price tag read $500. I was willing to pay that.

This gun was beautiful. It had matching serial numbers and a sling. I put it on layaway immediately. When I did, I was informed that it also included a bayonet and ammo pouch. The tools needed to take the bolt apart, and an oil can.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic. When I was done with the layaway, I also noticed that they were running a sale $500 turned into $425 even better.

20 years I’ve missed this rifle and for the first few weeks it’s been sitting in my closet.

Matching serial numbers on everything from the Tula arsenal a hex receiver, with a very unique XO 47 stamp. This folks is the crown jewel of my collection.

One of the other pieces that I had was a Turkish Ankara 8 mm Mauser. I have a feeling I’ll be picking one of those up when the time is right.

Here are the pics.
View attachment 35667View attachment 35669View attachment 35668
Whats not to love about a Mosin Nagant right. Its an iconic WWll rifle that many still love & shoot today. I too remember when the MN & several other old military rifles could be bought for 125.00-150.00 that now are 1000.000-1500.00. Congrats on a nice score.

Post war stock. Possibly an ex-dragoon with an earlier serial #.
Were you able to get ammo for it?

I've gotten rid of quite a few, but probably still have over a dozen.
Good trade fodder at the LGS now that the price has gone up on them.

Post war stock. Possibly an ex-dragoon with an earlier serial #.
Were you able to get ammo for it?

I've gotten rid of quite a few, but probably still have over a dozen.
Good trade fodder at the LGS now that the price has gone up on them.
I was at sgammo about .75 cpr shipped. Yugoslavian surplus manufactured in 87.

IMG_0848.pngIMG_0849.png

I'm glad you got to score on your dream rifle! Just out of curiosity what does the "XO" mean stamped on the barrel that sets it apart from other MN's? The rifle looks great!
The xo47 is a mystery to the collectors. I believe that it maybe they were designed for police or something special like possibly sniper consideration. I say that because it has the smoothest bolt I have ever seen on a mosin. No one really knows and it doesn’t necessarily add value however, it is certainly mysterious and somewhat unique.

I'm truly happy for you half cocked. I too like the old nostalgic rifles but my taste leans more toward the M1 Garand and carbine and the M-14 which I have one of each. I also have a fondness for the classic lever rifles (92, 94, 336, 1894 & 1895) as well as single shots like the 1874 Sharps and Ruger 1.
The Mosin as I understand it was a finely made accurate rifle but something I never had a desire for. I congratulate you on a deal and have to ask, Are you going to shoot it or make it a safe queen?
I guess that's why there are so many different rifles out there.

I'm truly happy for you half cocked. I too like the old nostalgic rifles but my taste leans more toward the M1 Garand and carbine and the M-14 which I have one of each. I also have a fondness for the classic lever rifles (92, 94, 336, 1894 & 1895) as well as single shots like the 1874 Sharps and Ruger 1.
The Mosin as I understand it was a finely made accurate rifle but something I never had a desire for. I congratulate you on a deal and have to ask, Are you going to shoot it or make it a safe queen?
I guess that's why there are so many different rifles out there.
I have to shoot it at least once or twice. I am hoping I can get through a few rounds before my shoulder is black and blue. I bought 300 rounds of 7.62 x 54r that should be a lifetime supply.

I too bought one many years ago, 7.62x54r I think, and I remember it was only a couple hundred dollars. And like most people I have yet to shoot it. I also have a SKS that my brother bought for me because they were on sale for 75.00 so he bought two of them, one for me and one for him. Now he has passed away and now I have his as well plus a whole bunch of guns from his safe. The prices for these guns have really gone up in value, but what’s more expensive is the ammo!

That's a beautiful rifle. Contrary to the import stamping is not an M91/30. The M91/30 has a round receiver.

BTW: When the Mosin Nagant rifle was designed Russia lacked adequate manufacturing facilities. Many of the early M91 rifles were manufactured at the French Chatellerault Arsenal. M91 rifles were also made by SIG and Steyr. During WWI Remington and New England Westinghouse made 1,500,000 Mosin Nagant rifles. When the Czar was overthrown those US companies were left holding a bunch of Mosin Nagant rifles. The US military bought 600,000 of those rifles, used them to train troops then sold them to NRA members for $3.50 each.

Going back to the 1950s i've owned a few dozen Mosin Nagant rifles including several sniper models.

Latest posts

Back