Not Good

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

Reaction score
Thompson lays off another 66, and furloughs 37

By BILL O'CONNOR
boconnorfosters.com
[email protected]

Friday, January 30, 2009 - Follow Fosters.com on
ROCHESTER? Sixty-six workers were laid off on Thursday at Thompson Center Arms ? one of the city's largest employers ? and another 37 workers were furloughed, making for a 103-position reduction in force at the Route 11 rifle manufacturer.

This latest round of staffing cuts follows an 80-position reduction at the plant in September and a 36-position reduction back in March, making this the third time the plant has downsized since Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., the parent company of the famous arms manufacturer, acquired Thompson Center Arms in January 2007.

"These cuts were largely economy-driven," said Smith & Wesson Vice President of Investor Relations Liz Sharp of the most recent round of layoffs Thursday evening. "At Thompson Center Arms we manufacture hunting rifles, which have a largely discretionary market. Specifically, we manufacture black powder rifles, the market for which is even more discretionary."

Sharp said fewer and fewer of these rifles are selling due to the current state of the nation's economy, and she could not hazard a guess as to whether that trend would reverse anytime soon.

The reduction in force accounted for almost 29 percent of Thompson Center Arms' work force, bringing the number of workers at the factory to roughly 250, almost half of what it was just under a year ago. According to Sharp, the cuts in staffing were specific to neither production line workers, nor office employees, but spanned all departments relatively equally.

Sharp said Smith & Wesson will be working closely with state agencies to help employees with the transition.

During the last round of layoffs at the plant, officials from the state Department of Employment Security in Somersworth were on hand to help former employees enroll into state programs to help them find new employment opportunities, and city Economic Development Manager Karen Pollard said the same would likely be true this time around.

"Our hearts go out to the families and the talented staff members who won't be working for awhile," Pollard said Thursday evening. "We understand the company (Thompson Center Arms) is very consumer oriented, and we hope the economy can turn so consumers start buying the company's product again and we can get these people back to work as soon as possible."

This is a bad sign for sure... It could mean the end of a great old company. Sometimes they never really come back from being downsized. That will be a shame.

i wonder how much those tv commercials and hunters they pay off cost them each year? Probably could have saved a lot of jobs if they would roll back on that.

I don't know about that Gander. It sure sold a lot of guns for them. The advertising campaign had a lot to do with putting them on top. In any event, I sure hate to see it happen. It will be difficult for them to maintain there level of customer service in these times.
Art

frontier gander said:
i wonder how much those tv commercials and hunters they pay off cost them each year? Probably could have saved a lot of jobs if they would roll back on that.

I can see your point and it probably has some validity to it. The problem then becomes that a lot of their revenue is based upon those endorsements. If you cut them, you cut into your profits... Kind of a catch 22. That being said, I'm sure there are SOME cuts that could be made somewhere to prevent some job loss without a doubt.

What might kill them and I hope it doesn't is being bought out by S&W. I very rarely ever hear of a good aquisiiton unless the 2 companies are very compatible and share the same management view. S&W is just trying to milk everything from the company.

I might add that Remington being bought by Cerberus is a disaster waiting to happen as well. The way Cerberus is doing Chrysler should tell anyone what bloodsuckers they are.

frontier gander said:

I think many people buy what they see their hero using.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those who lost their job's

It's tough out there.

frontier gander said:

gotta spend money to make money.

Swampman wrote" Thompson lays off another 66, and furloughs 37 "

not surprized at all ,if u listen to the news on tv everyday somebody is out of a job ..terrible feeling when u lose ur job and have a wife and children to feed ...i think right now it is worldwide ,and the man that works for a living can't do much to turn it around ..

sure hope that the rocket scientists we elected as leaders will see the light.

I'm afraid that we'll be seeing more of that in the future....Throughout all the manufacturers. What we're experiencing is the consequences of a broken, greedy and corrupt worldwide economic system.Time to stock up on supplies.
:cry: :cry: Zen

I just hope and pray folks that have been "laid off", or "let go" find work soon. This is a sad time for America.

I'm afraid that we'll be seeing more of that in the future....Throughout all the manufacturers. What we're experiencing is the consequences of a broken, greedy and corrupt worldwide economic system.Time to stock up on supplies.

What we are seeing is MBA's in finance running around with laptops with excel spreadsheets treating humans like numbers. They teach these people nothing about ethics,honesty, moral values or humanity wherever they went to school and their parents did a crap job raising them as well. It's take away from the small guy and fatten the already fat cat. I'll bet Greg Ritz and the other higher ups in Thompson didn't walk away empty handed when they sold the company to S&W.

Cut that and more jobs will be lost.
Advertisment sell product.
There are no jobs needed without sales - it drives manufacturing.
When business is bad, the last budget to be cut should be advertising.

Steve

not surprized at all ,if u listen to the news on tv everyday somebody is out of a job ..terrible feeling when u lose ur job and have a wife and children to feed ...i think right now it is worldwide ,and the man that works for a living can't do much to turn it around ..

Good post. The economy of this country is in the tank. Every day tens of thousands of Americans loose their jobs.

Oldelkhunter, the MBA's had little to do with this one. Blame the political hacks in DC and the Fat cat bankers whose pockets they are in.

then this is the year that i will buy another tc.encore perhaps?

Oldelkhunter, the MBA's had little to do with this one. Blame the political hacks in DC and the Fat cat bankers whose pockets they are in.

I would like that not to be true but unfortunately it is. I work for a company that just got bought by a private equity firm. The reason for it was that we were such a profitable company and our owner was 70+ years old and couldn't do it anymore. Fortunately the firm that owns us is not quite as mindless as other private equity firms and gives us a lot of free reign, but we are expected to turn a certain ROI and if not some jobs are lost . We are still a private firm but probably not for long. Do you want to know how many FInancial Analysts with MBA's are working for us that are constantly monitoring every department in our company? It almost rivals our IT staff which is very large .

When S&W buys a company lthe first thing done is to cut redundant jobs, merge your IT systems and manufacturing processes and then cut all other unecessary expenses in order to achieve a certain ROI for its stockholders. If a certain product doesn't make the grade it gets cut along with the workers that make it. In an effort to please wall street and hit numbers people get sacrificed yet the CEO and members of the executive staff get raises and bonuses . S&W is a pistol company and imports its line of shotguns and leaned on TC for the rifle end of the business as well as the Blackpowder business in which it is a leader.

After this bit of news I will purchase TC barrels and stocks and probably another Encore for my son this year.

what kills me is that most of the economy problems all seem so unnecessary; government was never set up to encourage banking institutions to give out loans to folks that cant afford to repay them.i saw a show where an illegal alien in colorado bought a house,lived it till it was foreclosed on then would change his name and get another house thru fannie mae just as easy as he did in getting the first house. i wish a totally independant group would inverstigate the exact causes and if any laws were boken from a loan broker to a senator then jail em. i am waiting till april when the new knight comes out. just my 2 cents

Latest posts

Back