New powder horns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OldMtnManIf I wanted convenient Stoney. I wouldn't be using a traditional muzzleloader.  ;)

220px-Poire-poudre_dos%C3%A9e.JPG
French 19th-century metal flask, with device to adjust amount dispensed.​
220px-Wallace_CollectionDSCF7493.JPG
German antler and steel flask, c. 1570; the goddess Fortuna stands on a hedgehog upon a globe​
[ltr]
AA powder flask for gunpowder, which was an essential part of shooting equipment with muzzleoading guns, before pre-made paper cartridges became standard in the 19th century. 
Many were standardized military issue, but the most decorative were generally used for sporting shooting.
Many designs (such as horn and antler types) have a wide sealed opening for filling, and a thin spout for dispensing. Various devices were used to load a precise amount of powder to dispense, as it was important not to load too much or too little powder, or the powder was dispensed into a powder measure or "charger" (these survive much less often). As early as c.1600 a German flask had a silver spout with a "telescopic valve, adjustable for different sizes of powder charges". By the 1700's German flasks appeared with spring loaded values for dispensing the charge.[/ltr]

We're talking about fur trade mountain men Buck. Crude, simple, and not convenient. I'm sure they used the main powder horn for the pan.

OldMtnMan said:
Do to too many injuries i'm going to retire from hunting. It's not fun anymore. However, I have a strong desire to target shoot. A couple of postal shoots a month and the spring and fall Colorado State Shoots will keep me busy. That's when I want everything correct. When I go to shoots. It's too far to drive for club shoots, but i'll do it for the state shoots. They have a much bigger turnout.
Pete,

When you are in need of help, let me know. I know a little bit about North American Fur Trade, been at it for over 65 years. Biggest problem is everyone is an expert but have done NO RESEARCH period. Most are repeating what they heard third or forth hand (a fair percentage). I have made as many mistakes as the next guy when getting started and then finding out that nice old trader was no better than a used car salesman (just looking for a sale) right, wrong or what ever.

History, correct edibles, camps, equipage, weapons, camp life, period travel and so on. To reach the top ranking in associations like the American Mountain Men, North American Frontiersmen you need to have documentation on everything you use, carry or are eating. I'm not bragging, it was a challenge to me to be the best I could and in doing so reached the highest ratings in both groups.

I was very lucky having a half dozen of the best show me the way from the AMM. All were first members with association numbers under 100, now close to 2,000.

You mention the Colorado State Shoot (know most of them that are involved as they worked for me at one time or another when I was Pres., V. Pres., or another position held in the organization for over 15 years. 

What is the nearest towns near you, bet I can find you a small clubs with monthly shoots.

Buck

OldMtnMan said:
We're talking about fur trade mountain men Buck. Crude, simple, and not convenient. I'm sure they used the main powder horn for the pan.
Stoney was wondering how old the spring loader value has been used Pete. Just answering his question.

I tried to join the AMM years ago, but got ignored. I guess you need to be sponsored. That was then, but I have no interest in them now. If I could trek like they do I could still go hunting. I just want to do shoots now, but be somewhat period correct. No interest in re-enacting or rendezvous.

I'm 30 miles north of Salida in Buena Vista. Closest club is Colorado Springs Muzzleloader Assy. They shoot  a few miles from Canon City. Too far to go for club shoots, but they have the state shoots there too. I'll drive there for the two state shoots. I can do postal shoots on any National Forest land and i'm, surrounded by it.

Buck Conner said:
OldMtnMan said:
Stoney was wondering how old the spring loader value has been used Pete. Just answering his question.
When it was used and was it available might be quite different. I think the MM tried to keep things simple so they would break in the mountains miles from civilization. I believe that's why they stayed with flintlocks.

OldMtnMan said:
Buck Conner said:
OldMtnMan said:
When it was used and was it available might be quite different. I think the MM tried to keep things simple so they would break in the mountains miles from civilization. I believe that's why they stayed with flintlocks.
Most don't realize that many of the weapons that came to the fur trade were military muskets (early on), guns used when enlisted in the War of 1812 and later. For pay many took their weapons and headed west, flints were preferred because of flint rock was available for the looking (don't find percussion caps laying around). Most of the equipage used was what they had when leaving for this new adventure (the fur trade and riches they thought).

I need to get back to putting up information under the topic "Primitive Lifestyle" that Jonathan has listed. Got side tracked with yard work, doing a little shooting and health issues. Have same deal as Jonathan, need to have an MRI with the dye to see if I have an artery being pinched off and limiting blood flow to the brain? Causing signs of blacking out, dizziness, weakness, troubling walking. Carp it's always something.

Exactly. My persona is I was born and raised in Mass. When I decided to go west after a divorce. I passed through PA and bought an Isaac Haines rifle in .50 for the bigger game out west. I was using a smooth bore in Mass and didn't want to use it out west.

That's my story for ending up in Colorado with an Isaac Haines. It's not too far off my real life and still works in 1820.

I'm not looking for a gun club Buck. I know what's around me. I'm looking for a club that has black powder events. The closest one is the one I mentioned. Nobody shoots traditional muzzleloaders around here. There's a guy who lives in Salida that's a member of the AMm, but like I said. he was one of the ones who ignored my emails.

For those who don't know the name Isaac Haines, he was one of the most educated and sophisticated gun builders of his time. His surviving work is a testament to the skills and artistic eye that this prominent gun maker used in the production of such beautiful early 1770’s American longrifles.

isaac-haines-parts-list-fully-shaped_1.jpg
Typical Isaac Haines Rifle

That's a good start for your persona Pete. Many of the folks I have talked to don't know who or what they want to me. Yours is like mind we both know where our roots started and you move forward with that in mind. Excellent.  :ttups: 

Coming from Mass you will pickup misc. items from the different areas you travel as you work your way in into the Arkansas River Valley and the area of what would become Buena Vista Colorado first settled in 1864 by settlers drawn to the area by the plentiful water which made the land suitable for agriculture. Alternate pronunciations include "Bwenna Veesta" (Spanish pronunciation) and simply "Biewnie. You would be one of the first white men in the area, probably more Mexicans and Indians than any other race at the time. An original fur trapper trying to make a living at his trade.

Actually, that's not how you pronounce it. That's the Spanish way to say it but this town was named by a white woman and she was fussy on how to pronounce it. If you said it the way you think everybody would know you're a tourist.

I'll let you think about how to say it.  :pirat:

OldMtnMan said:
Yes, it has that. I can see it out my window right now.

buena-vista.jpg

River+Runners+Riverside+Camping+Resort.jpg
WOW... Pete. Gorgeous!!!! Nothing like around here. I'm in the mountains of N.E. Pa. and this is nice, but that's fantastic. No wonder they call it God's Country!!
Stoney

Back