Has the shortage of Modern Ammo Caused a Resurgence in Black Powder Shooting?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My local shooting range has both Public and Member only areas. I have noticed more Black Powder Shooters on both. Some with newly acquired guns.

We’re fortunate to have one of the few remaining Black Powder dedicated shops in Oregon located here in our county. As a result, guns and supplies are readily available in our area.

I of course, approach each one, introduce myself and invite them to join our Muzzleloading group for our Monthly Matches. All are welcome but some you may not want. Three fellows who were together on one of the Member Ranges, left spent caps and spilled powder on their shooting benches. Apparently, they’re not familiar with “Leave it better than you found it”.

Hopefully with this new influx of people, our numbers will begin to climb again.

I dont think so. #11 caps have been difficult to find for folks, even flints. I just bought a dozen from TOW and thats all they would allow. Then of course, you have dixie gun works charging $5 a flint!

I’ve seen an increase in my shop. I’ve sold 5-6 bp revolvers since Christmas and one flintlock rifle. Haven’t sold that many in the eleven years I’ve been in business!
Now if I could just get ammo powder and primers. Ha!

My local shooting range has both Public and Member only areas. I have noticed more Black Powder Shooters on both. Some with newly acquired guns.

We’re fortunate to have one of the few remaining Black Powder dedicated shops in Oregon located here in our county. As a result, guns and supplies are readily available in our area.

I of course, approach each one, introduce myself and invite them to join our Muzzleloading group for our Monthly Matches. All are welcome but some you may not want. Three fellows who were together on one of the Member Ranges, left spent caps and spilled powder on their shooting benches. Apparently, they’re not familiar with “Leave it better than you found it”.

You must be located close to The Gun Works. Joe is really missed as his knowledge of muzzleloaders was amazing. I first met he and his wife Suzi at the Sacramento Gun Show in California many years ago, and have done business with them many times over the years. I in fact had them build me a target pistol and I have shot it in matches for about 25 or 30 years....with a lot of success. You are very lucky to be located close to such a shop.

Latest posts

Back