Why I Don't Shoot Black Powder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one around me had experience with muzzleloaders so when I got my first gun in the early 70s I purchased a book about muzzleloaders. Glad I did because you can do so many things wrong and hurt yourself. I wasn't new to guns after growing up hunting and my stint in the army. If you don't read get help from an experienced muzzleloader shooter BEFORE you try shooting the gun. Best advice I can give.
That's very good advise! You can really get injured so easily with black powder guns! One miscue might be your last!

Sounds like you might be about my age from the small hints. BTW, how long have you been writing novels?

true - story was out shooting my pistol and had some of the old pine scent T/C bore butter. Came home as a young man mother snuggled up next to me ( where newly weds ) and said I love wintergreen and gave me a good ole smooch. Out of respect I will not go into detail. Now that yrs have passed and dont get to steal home plate much any more. I still keep a tube of that good smelling bore butter in my shooters box. At the range the fellas say he sure loves shooting that pistol. they have no idea what I am grinning about with old good smelling bore butter. Good times

I have an old 36 cal. replica of the 1851 Navy Colt that I used to shoot a lot as a young teen. I never did use crisco to seal the ends of the chambers and never had any kind of issue. The balls seal the end pretty good and shave off a little lead around the edges so you really shouldn't have any powder exposed. I've read the old Walker Colts could go kablooy sometimes but I've never personally seen that happen. Maybe I was lucky.

Back