New Hawken Build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You sure know your way around building those smokepoles!
I've assembled a few kits but they definitely don't look like that one.
I did add a diamond post earring to the front sight of the last one.
We'll see how long that stays in place.
View attachment 917
Build hell ! I just wish my workbench was as tidy as yours Mine always looks, shall we say "busy"

Thanks FG. I'll find one sooner or later. I first need to liquidate a few items lying around to buffer the overall cost.
Remember, an under hammer solves all lefty / righty problems. Had to throw that in to defend my preference LOL

FG your pricing seems a low for the quality and hours of labor. Looking around custom build pricing it's actually very low. I have nearly $700.00 in parts and 40-50 hrs in my 50 cal UH build. My labor is worth nothing if I build it for myself, not so to sell to another. Please don't give your time/skill away unless for a relative or friend who brings by CHEER to take advantage of you !!

That is beautiful! It's hard to believe that is the same piece of wood ! Excellent job Jon.

FG your pricing seems a low for the quality and hours of labor. Looking around custom build pricing it's actually very low. I have nearly $700.00 in parts and 40-50 hrs in my 50 cal UH build. My labor is worth nothing if I build it for myself, not so to sell to another. Please don't give your time/skill away unless for a relative or friend who brings by CHEER to take advantage of you !!
Mossie what is an underhammer UH? do you have a photo? thanks

First range report!!

50 yards
70gr Alliant Black MZ
.015" patches lube with Frontier's anti rust & patch lube
CCI #11 Mag caps
Hotshot nipple

This rifle has a tall front sight and will need to be filed down greatly as its 9 to 10 inches low at 50 yards. I did this on purpose so the owner and I can figure out a powder charge/patch/ball combo and I wanted to leave some room to work.

First shot on a clean bore was off to the left. The next 4 shots laid down nicely! I did switch to a .020" patch afterward and it was a much better feel when loading it. The .015 patch was very easy loading. Overall, I am extremely pleased with the first range trip with this rifle!
20200115_131230.jpg

Now I had a couple hang fires on this next group with 100gr Alliant Black MZ with a .020" patch! I started to pick the nipple and that sucker was plugged solid at the flash hole. After that, zero issues. Something I will have to teach the owner to do while on the range and at rendezvous.

All recovered patches today, even with the 100gr charge, were in pristine condition! No holes, rips, tears, nothing but a nice light brown color burn ring where the patch was compressed against the ball. Extremely smooth loading barrel.
20200115_133235.jpg

Awesome shooting FG!
Do you only get so many shots before you need to pick clean the nipple?

Marty it really depends. Some nipple brands do fine, others clog up within a few shots and need to be picked clean. The hotshot isn't exactly the best nipple design for sub black powders as its vented at the top.

FG, How does the venting hurt ignition?

Jonthan will reply shortly. He's talking about comparing nipples brands, one staying cleaner than another, good venting means more shots before having to clean.

That why manying of us have stayed with the flint ignition. :coffee:

buck conner.jpg

Percussion guns are just a fad that will blow over in time. Reliable flintlock ignition is the only way to go. :cheers:

Mossie,
I've watched Jonathan build and refurbish old muzzleloaders for years. I can tell you this....he is meticulous about his work. I'll post a picture of the gun he built me one day. I hate to take it hunting, but, that is what he built it for.

You must have seen how they "load" those cartridge guns? They load them from...well, the bottom end, AHEM!

Latest posts

Back