Kibler Southern Mountain beginning to build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a message from Jim Kibler, he found a special Maple log that has wood better than his "Extra Fancy" which is 90% curl. The new wood is 100%. He calls it "Select Maple." There are (were) 15 blanks for Woodsrunner and 20 for Southern Mountain Rifle SMR.

I immediately jumped in and ordered a SMR .45cal in "Select Maple." It may be here in a week or so. I can't wait!!!

Plan to build with photos.

Here is a photo from Jim's website. I call it "Embryo."

Attachments

• Kibler SMR Kit.png
    Kibler SMR Kit.png
    320.8 KB · Views: 0
Bree just emailed me and my SMR about to ship! I can't wait. Cleared a space on our library table. Sandpaper, spray bottle with water, Aqua Fortis, Jax Black, Hair dryer, good light, gun vise, prussian blue (Mark any inletting), Chisels, towels,

I would suggest trading from the hair drier to a good heat gun. I just blushed my maple colonial using my heat gun on low. Not sure if a hair drier would have turned the iron nitrate?

Here are a series of photos from application of the iron nitrate to the blushing to finishing. Sugar maple pretty plain.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    354.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2597.jpeg
    IMG_2597.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2605.jpeg
    IMG_2605.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 1
I would suggest trading from the hair drier to a good heat gun. I just blushed my maple colonial using my heat gun on low. Not sure if a hair drier would have turned the iron nitrate?
I do have a good heat gun from Harbor Freight. Trying to remember what Jim Kibler likes. I trust Jim. He knows what he is doing.

Here are a series of photos from application of the iron nitrate to the blushing to finishing. Sugar maple pretty plain.
My first kit and so far the last. Extra fancy maple, CNC Carved.

Woods Runner. Not sure what I did. I blushed it and left it overnight inside my garage. But it came out well. I used "Wipe-on Poly" to seal. Hand rubbed and did it again.

Hope I can do as well, this time. Now I am really sweating it all over again! The maple in my SMR Is Kibler's Select Maple. He got a special log. He said his extra fancy maple is 90% curl. The select is 100%!

I gotta really get it right!

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1876.JPG
    IMG_1876.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 1
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I read your post about the "select" maple. That things gonna look like a bengal tiger! In one of Kiblers videos, I think it was his "trust us" video he mentions a heat gun.. not hair drier :) I've used the wipe on poly on an under hammer build and a Remington Rolling Block re-stock. I like it well enough. I've done a couple with the LMF Permayln sealer, "Kibler style" worked in with a maroon scotch brite pad. The colonial above has 4 coats of the sealer scrubbed in with a scotch pad and wiped off with a clean towl and hung to dry 24 hours. Good luck with the SMR. I'll be watching for your progress. I'm going to wait for the fowler. Probably cherry 16 ga.

Latest posts

Back