New Field Dressing Knife Recommendation??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add, the only negative with the butt out is removing the prongs from the rectum tissue. You don't want to use your knife for obvious reasons. I use a small stick one can find where the deer drops. Same for removing fecal matter from the grooves.
I carry it in a separate plastic bag so not to make a mess in my backpack.

To add, the only negative with the butt out is removing the prongs from the rectum tissue. You don't want to use your knife for obvious reasons. I use a small stick one can find where the deer drops. Same for removing fecal matter from the grooves.
It seems obvious, but yeah i keep mine in a ziplock freezer bag too. Rinse it in hot water after a hunt. Then it and my knives go in to the dishwasher alone.

Dishwasher is the cleanest cleaner in your house. People put their skid marked underwear into the same machines they wash tableclothes and fancy napkins in, and leave their toothbrushes exposed in the bathroom. Cellphones and toothbrushes are some of the nastiest things in your house and get put on your face and in your mouth.

i will try this left handed, right one taped up. i hace a picture of two knives but not smart enough to post. can someone post it for me, i can email them to you. sorry not enough ponts to pm. louie

Ive been using Kershaw guthook knives for ever it seems.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282747602879 But this year i picked up a new knife at a gun show, no gut hook. Mora Companion. I got it as a deboning knife but im so impressed with its feel and staying sharp, Im going to carry it hunt this year. Hard a full size rubber coated handle and a 4” blade. I love this thing. They come with a hard plastic sheath but there is a leather one available that im gonna check out.

https://www.knivesofthenorth.com/pr...f6N1US-ZRtFOZlE1EDYhuoBYmSLITBRAaArr_EALw_wcB
I bought a Kershaw a couple years back thinking it was made in the USA. After using it a bit I tossed it in a drawer. IMO it was junk compared to my Buck or even my old Kabar

I have been using the same buck knife with a gut hook for the last 7-8 years, and it has been a great knife over that span of years. It just doesn't seem to retain its sharpness as well after I sharpen it these days (like a chain for a chainsaw, it doesn't seem to keep its sharp cutting ability as long as it once did). That being said, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I would definitely want a knife with a gut hook (very convenient). I am certainly not opposed to another Buck knife, but don't know if there are even better knives out there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Here you go. No sharpening needed...ever.

Outdoor Edge Razor-Guide Pak, Includes RazorBone & RazorCape Replaceable Blade Knives & Flip N Zip Saw, all in a Compact Waxed Canvas Roll Pack https://a.co/d/fBeF2XB

I have been using the same buck knife with a gut hook for the last 7-8 years, and it has been a great knife over that span of years. It just doesn't seem to retain its sharpness as well after I sharpen it these days (like a chain for a chainsaw, it doesn't seem to keep its sharp cutting ability as long as it once did). That being said, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I would definitely want a knife with a gut hook (very convenient). I am certainly not opposed to another Buck knife, but don't know if there are even better knives out there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Harley
If you want a fixed blade knife try Bark River. They are beautifully made and sharper than a razor. I have one in my pack to split the rib cage with, it goes right through. Many styles available but they are spendy. I pair it up with the Victorinox folder. They have dressed deer antelope and a cow elk. Warning they can be addictive.

I bought a Kershaw a couple years back thinking it was made in the USA. After using it a bit I tossed it in a drawer. IMO it was junk compared to my Buck or even my old Kabar
This stamped on my Keyshawn blade….

Maybe newer knives are made elsewhere. I touch up this blade once before the hunting starts. Its dressed 5 deer thus far and is still good for another couple.

Attachments

• FC8EBB9A-E64A-4278-B7E3-918578A39F34.jpeg
    FC8EBB9A-E64A-4278-B7E3-918578A39F34.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have this Getber too, that sees only the hide coming off. I’ve had this one for maybe 40 years. This sucker keeps an edge. I haven’t had to sharpen it for three or four years. Another Oregon-American made knife.

Attachments

• 3E0E1F50-DD81-4C61-A531-37332FD3F2AA.jpeg
    3E0E1F50-DD81-4C61-A531-37332FD3F2AA.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
I have this Getber too, that sees only the hide coming off. I’ve had this one for maybe 40 years. This sucker keeps an edge. I haven’t had to sharpen it for three or four years. Another Oregon-American made knife.
Unfortunately most of that has been farmed out to China

Unfortunately most of that has been farmed out to China
It is unfortunate that most of the "great" old companies have either turned to foreign manufacturers or they've been bought out by larger investment firms that go to the foreign countries to max profits. Greed. Pure and simple. Look at last year when all of those container ships were hung up awaiting a port to unload....it darned near killed Christmas as we know it. NOW, had all of that merchandise been manufactured right here there wouldn't have been all the hubbub we saw. Why aren't those things made here? Unions for one thing. Legal compliances the companies need to adhere to is another. But the big thing is downright greed.

My collections of Winchester pre-64 model 70's and my Ruger Blackhawk pistols are all American made as is a lot of my older fishing tackle. Everything still works, like those knives I've shown, because they were made with pride right here at home before the money fingers go into the act. Its a shame.

many Americans couldn't/wouldn't pay the premium for American made .
sometimes off shore products are ok a non pro .
harbor freight comes to mind . i miss their %20 coupons every week :(
it is what it is .

It seems obvious, but yeah i keep mine in a ziplock freezer bag too. Rinse it in hot water after a hunt. Then it and my knives go in to the dishwasher alon
huh? Here all these years I assumed this was venison jerky and ... nevermind

Latest posts

Back