New Field Dressing Knife Recommendation??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have yet to kill/dress a deer so i'm sharing purely out of my ASSumptions .....

but there's plenty of folks around here using gut hooks and plenty that do the finger method . i considered a havalon but didn't care for the blade only having about a 2 inch cutting length due to the thingy on the side the blade attaches to and looking at youtube videos i could easily see me cutting myself changing the blade on a havalon . and the OE razor-pro gut hook/zipper blade looks like it could be easily sharpened with a ceramic stick or the bottom of a coffee cup if/when it need's it . the OE blades can be sharpened also .

i lack the skill set to dress a deer so i try to make it easier on myself , but i have several folks offering to help me when i get one . everything isn't for everybody .

BTW ... anyone use a butt-out ?

I would never go hunting without a butt-out since i first used one.
Havalon makes a tool thingie just for changing blades safely

i have yet to kill/dress a deer so i'm sharing purely out of my ASSumptions .....

but there's plenty of folks around here using gut hooks and plenty that do the finger method . i considered a havalon but didn't care for the blade only having about a 2 inch cutting length due to the thingy on the side the blade attaches to and looking at youtube videos i could easily see me cutting myself changing the blade on a havalon . and the OE razor-pro gut hook/zipper blade looks like it could be easily sharpened with a ceramic stick or the bottom of a coffee cup if/when it need's it . the OE blades can be sharpened also .

i lack the skill set to dress a deer so i try to make it easier on myself , but i have several folks offering to help me when i get one . everything isn't for everybody .

BTW ... anyone use a butt-out ?

Since the first time I'd used one, never been without since. Getcha one! It'll help keep the pelvic channel free of the dreaded green milkduds

i already have a butt-out . i was LOLing when i first saw it a few years ago but when i got interested in deer hunting i saw it and you tubed it and thought it might be handy . FWIU a buck 110 has dressed a gazillion deer , but i'm not the the worlds' greatest knife sharpener . if i could get my knives as sharp as my tongue is sometimes .... i could sharpen surgical scalpels .

i already have a butt-out . i was LOLing when i first saw it a few years ago but when i got interested in deer hunting i saw it and you tubed it and thought it might be handy . FWIU a buck 110 has dressed a gazillion deer , but i'm not the the worlds' greatest knife sharpener . if i could get my knives as sharp as my tongue is sometimes .... i could sharpen surgical scalpels .
I found that a narrow knife like a small fillet knife or one of the Havalon or Outdoor Edge blade changers, with their narrow blades, work great for removing the anus.

I do, used one on my sons deer last weekend. I use the tenderhang method when hanging deer outside so I don’t split the pelvis.

Our boy gave me this Bob Dozier knife several years ago.

I have a similar Dozier knife holds an edge wonderfully but takes a little work to get it back, but it is worth it. Wonderful blade, I have spent way too much money in the AG Russel catalog and store.

View attachment 27961

View attachment 27962

Made of D2 steel which is wonderful, and comes with a sheath that rides parallel to the belt, so one can drive or sit whilst carrying the knife. .

View attachment 27964

View attachment 27965

Rockwell Custom Knives. I’ve probably field dressed 10 deer with it and it’s still fabulously sharp. No idea what steel is in the blade but I’ve never had a knife like it. I guess everyone has their own idea of the perfect knife design but for me, this one is it.
8AE3D102-8DF3-41E9-BB1A-413AC9AD6C7F.jpeg

Last edited:
Back