New Field Dressing Knife Recommendation??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using the same buck knife with a gut hook for the last 7-8 years, and it has been a great knife over that span of years. It just doesn't seem to retain its sharpness as well after I sharpen it these days (like a chain for a chainsaw, it doesn't seem to keep its sharp cutting ability as long as it once did). That being said, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I would definitely want a knife with a gut hook (very convenient). I am certainly not opposed to another Buck knife, but don't know if there are even better knives out there. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ive been using Kershaw guthook knives for ever it seems.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282747602879 But this year i picked up a new knife at a gun show, no gut hook. Mora Companion. I got it as a deboning knife but im so impressed with its feel and staying sharp, Im going to carry it hunt this year. Hard a full size rubber coated handle and a 4” blade. I love this thing. They come with a hard plastic sheath but there is a leather one available that im gonna check out.

https://www.knivesofthenorth.com/pr...f6N1US-ZRtFOZlE1EDYhuoBYmSLITBRAaArr_EALw_wcB

A two bladed knife with a gut hook and I never got along, seemed the hook was always in the way. I have always made a small incision, stuck in two fingers with the sheep hoof blade of a stockmans knife between them and opened 'em up. Fingers hold insides down and the short blade has no point to poke insides. Dad taught me that (he was a sheepman) and I have been doing it since 1955.

Louie

Yep, i dont even use the gut hook any more. But i was always concerned about cutting open the stomach or intestines or bladder. After plenty of gut piles and becoming more familiar with white tail anatomy, the 2 fingers into a small incision is the way to go. A sharp blade with a drop point works great. Ive also used a small fillet knife to cut up a deer, that worked pretty well because the blade stayed very sharp but was a little too flexible for some cutting.

I have been using the same buck knife with a gut hook for the last 7-8 years, and it has been a great knife over that span of years. It just doesn't seem to retain its sharpness as well after I sharpen it these days (like a chain for a chainsaw, it doesn't seem to keep its sharp cutting ability as long as it once did). That being said, what do you guys recommend as a replacement? I would definitely want a knife with a gut hook (very convenient). I am certainly not opposed to another Buck knife, but don't know if there are even better knives out there. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Here’s my trusty Browning knife I’ve carried on my hunting belt for 20-25yrs. It cost around 80.00-90.00 back then. I use to carry a large fixed blade old fashioned skinning knife ( no gut hook ) until I came across this. It does everything I could need in the field & un- noticeable to carry. It holds an edge on the 4” skinning blade long enough to skin one deer - if you don’t hit any bone that is. Flipping the well made gutting blade over, that 2" blade goes right through the sternum up to the neck with no troubles. The bone saw blade handles splitting the pelvis just fine. It’s not a great knife, or great steel, but it’s extremely practical & does well enough with all 3 blades for what it costs.

Attachments

• 5A152B48-3EC7-4A04-AB10-9780EFB8D6CF.jpeg
    5A152B48-3EC7-4A04-AB10-9780EFB8D6CF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 97978196-8972-4717-A250-6AAC5E05A30C.jpeg
    97978196-8972-4717-A250-6AAC5E05A30C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ive been using Kershaw guthook knives for ever it seems.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282747602879 But this year i picked up a new knife at a gun show, no gut hook. Mora Companion. I got it as a deboning knife but im so impressed with its feel and staying sharp, Im going to carry it hunt this year. Hard a full size rubber coated handle and a 4” blade. I love this thing. They come with a hard plastic sheath but there is a leather one available that im gonna check out.

https://www.knivesofthenorth.com/pr...f6N1US-ZRtFOZlE1EDYhuoBYmSLITBRAaArr_EALw_wcB
Love my Kershaw knives, my youngest brother does too.

I have yet to find one knife that will do all three things you ask. After field dressing as I posted above, After hanging the animal I use three different knives, a curved blade for skinning, a tougher knives for cutting on bone to remove legs, and cut around neck joint and a thin 3 1/2" blade for removal of bladder and rectum. That way all knives will do the job without having to use the steel. Just my personal preference. Also a flexible 7" slightly curved blade for boning.

Louie

I have to agree with the above.

I do require that all my knives used on critters be a fixed blade knife. Was in Alaska and one fellows knife closed on his fingers and the laceration was nasty.

I have been lately using my Case hamerhead knife. I have some other knives including a case xx changer but that hamer head goes with me dang near everywhere fishing, skinning, deboning etc.

I had a gerber gut hook knife that uses utility blades - wish i could find an aluminum version of that - that plastics pretty flimsy

i got this but i haven't dressed a deer yet .
a few guys in my area here recommended it .

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1025283111?pid=593503
Ive got one of these and it is super sharp but the blades dont stay sharp long enough imho. They also offer gut hook blades for them. Its a handy knife for certain. Ive had folder close on me when really putting pressure on them so i dont take one hunting anymore.

Here’s my trusty Browning knife I’ve carried on my hunting belt for 20-25yrs. It cost around 80.00-90.00 back then. I use to carry a large fixed blade old fashioned skinning knife ( no gut hook ) until I came across this. It does everything I could need in the field & un- noticeable to carry. It holds an edge on the 4” skinning blade long enough to skin one deer - if you don’t hit any bone that is. Flipping the well made gutting blade over, that 2" blade goes right through the sternum up to the neck with no troubles. The bone saw blade handles splitting the pelvis just fine. It’s not a great knife, or great steel, but it’s extremely practical & does well enough with all 3 blades for what it costs.
Thats a sweet knife. Its got everything you need

Thats a sweet knife. Its got everything you need
Thanks bro, yeah, it really does & it fits in my pants pocket when I don't take my whole utility belt with all the pouches & stuff on it. I like it far far better than any traditional fixed blade skinning knife I've ever used or seen. Super practical & under 100 bucks.

Back