NEW category!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(quote)
Powderhorn09 said:
Here's a fun shooting contest for you guys Take a double blade axe stuck into a stump at 12/15 yards, put a small nail about 2" out on each side of the exposed blade and then hang a clay pigeon an each nail and start 'splittin' round balls.
Powderhorn09

(/quote)

We have used the double blade axe shoots since the mid 1950's, change the targets to be shot from time to time. Eggs, golf balls, to small discs are used for targets. The small caliber guns - .32 to .36 are fun to watch the balls being split. Old game that the troops played during the Civil War.

my balls have turned white & fuzzy, should I be worried about this ? does it mean that I have to use them more, and not let them set in my bag?

put them into a plastic container and spray them down with wd40 an roll them around. Lead oxidation is very common.

(quote)
Powderhorn09 said:
Here's a fun shooting contest for you guys Take a double blade axe stuck into a stump at 12/15 yards, put a small nail about 2" out on each side of the exposed blade and then hang a clay pigeon an each nail and start 'splittin' round balls.
Powderhorn09

(/quote)

We have used the double blade axe shoots since the mid 1950's, change the targets to be shot from time to time. Eggs, golf balls, to small discs are used for targets. The small caliber guns - .32 to .36 are fun to watch the balls being split. Old game that the troops played during the Civil War.

When I was a boy
"Also when I go to his house for a visit we can run over to the range and have some round ball contests."

Here's a fun shooting contest for you guys Joe. Take a double blade axe stuck into a stump at 12/15 yards, put a small nail about 2" out on each side of the exposed blade and then hang a clay pigeon an each nail and start 'splittin' round balls. Your .58 will definitely have an advantage over your brothers .45, but, all in all, a great way to spend an hour or so having fun. Might even bet a 'cold' beverage of some sort on the most breaks.
Powderhorn09

When I was a boy
Tried to post a reply but something went wrong. What I was going to say was, when I was a boy I used to watch my Father and his brothers have shooting contests much like what you described. They would take an old fixed blade knife and attach it to the barn at my Grandfathers and then draw 2 quarter size circles on each side of the blade. They would then step back about 12 t0 15 yards and shoot the blade with a 22 rifle and on occasion an old under hammer muzzle loader. And you're right, it was a lot of fun.

put them into a plastic container and spray them down with wd40 an roll them around. Lead oxidation is very common.
thank you for the reply. I was going to chuck them. so I will do, thanking you for the reply.

Im with ya on this one, just wish i had a .54 cal hard to find as hens teeth now, only a .50 and .32
Yeah, I would like to get a .54 barrel for my Renegade (or maybe have my .50 bored out to .54). I have .50 and .54 barrels for my CVA St. Louis Hawken, but I was thinking of maybe selling them to get something else (nothing wrong with them, but have a hankering for something and looking to get funds…;)).

Latest posts

Back