NEW category!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a 21st century observation of that oft used phrase, "patched round ball".  we say this all the time, and i dunno why.  i know my elders said it, so therefor doth i.  it's as if the word "round" is required to prelude the word "ball", for which the accepted definition of "ball" is, well, something round.  a double positive?  whatever, its all good.  good forum, indeed - thank you.

That's because a conical can be patched too. PRB explains exactly what it is.

Muley said:
i hear ya, but a patched ball is just that = a ball (round) that's not naked.  a patched conical is just that too - not a ball, but patched. 

a patched round ball is just redundant, but we all still say it that aways.

rfd said:
Muley said:
i hear ya, but a patched ball is just that = a ball (round) that's not naked.  a patched conical is just that too - not a ball, but patched. 
Round like Pete's head .... and hard too.  :afro:

Just acquired a Hatfield .36 caliber flintlock. Can't wait to touch it off.  Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of this particular rifle?  Would appreciate any feedback.  Thanks in advance.

Thanks, Pete I was just going to say... I've met some odd balls :D

just a 21st century observation of that oft used phrase, "patched round ball". we say this all the time, and i dunno why. i know my elders said it, so therefor doth i. it's as if the word "round" is required to prelude the word "ball", for which the accepted definition of "ball" is, well, something round. a double positive? whatever, its all good. good forum, indeed - thank you.
Ball is also used to denote a bullet; look at the nomenclature the military puts on their ammo. .45 Ball, 7.62 mm Ball, etc. So we use PRB to show that it is, in fact, a round ball.

~WH~

I started with prb around 54 years ago and never used anything other than prb since. Actually did fire some minies in a .58 long, long ago but even then primarily used prb.

Shucks, I even shoot round balls in my .30-30! N0. 1 buckshot, that is (.30" diameter). Not patched but still.... 😄🙃😄

~WH~

i be leave that in lines have no place in traditional muzzle loading sites.

I've shot REAL and Maxi bullets off and on through the years but most generally I shoot prb

this is not a 100% traditional site. If you dont like inlines, just do not visit the modern muzzleloader section.

Back