NEW category!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got 100+ # roof lead. Now I got to clean off the dirt, melt it down and ingot form it, stack them and them rest and smile. Then when needed I can mold some ammo. I do .45, .50, .54, and

Awesome cuz that's all I shoot out of my LGPR

I haven't used my balls in years, and they have developed a white fuzz on them. does any one know what causes this to happen? can i still use them?

The white fuzz is lead oxide. It will not affect the use of the lead projectiles. To prevent this from happening, just give the cast projectiles a light spray with WD-40, or Pam. You can remove the lead oxide by placing the projectiles in a vibratory case cleaner until they are cleaned, then spray as stated above.

If you do decide to fire the ball anyway a warning is in order. That white powder is toxic and will kill any deer you shoot with one. 🦌

I haven't used my balls in years, and they have developed a white fuzz on them. does any one know what causes this to happen? can i still use them?

My balls have developed a white fuzz on them too. So has my face, now that you mention it. Mine still work fine, so I'd say, go ahead and give them a try.

Damn, I told myself I wasn't going to be a smart-ass, but I just could not stop myself. :eek:

30coupe, I hope that the white fuzzy stuff on your face didn't come from your white fuzzy balls??

Grimord,thanks for the informative advice. I shall spray them with one or the other. I am too frugal to through them away! I have to get too the range more often!

man4.png
Traditional Muzzle Loading category is STRICTLY dedicated to the Patched Round Ball Shooter!

The rules are simple, please keep the modern stuff out!

We understand that your "traditional" rifle may have come with a plastic stock, Fiber Optic Sights, Plastic ramrods, and that is fine. We are not that snobby!

Range Reports? Please keep using our Shooting Range section of the forum.

All we ask is that you stick to 100% Patched Round Balls for your shooting/hunting projectile when using this section of the forum.

Please enjoy the start of a new category for our members!

Jonathan,
Forum Administrator.

HI Jon. You mentioned you used denatured alcohol in the barrel after cleaning to get rid of any moisture that might be left before using your preventative rust lube. Do you simply put some alcohol on a dry patch or do you pour a shotful down the barrel and let it sit there and evaporate, or do you pour it in then invert the barrel so it drains back out?
Thanks
FP

Both. A small amount is put down the bore and swished around before letting it come out the nipple hole. Then I run a patch soaked with the alcohol, swab the bore, then let it air dry.

Both. A small amount is put down the bore and swished around before letting it come out the nipple hole. Then I run a patch soaked with the alcohol, swab the bore, then let it air dry.

Need to try Jon's new patch lube before its gone.

Old age Toot, happens to all of us ...... :cheers: :rolleyes:..... :coffee:

Buck Conner. I guess when your balls get white and develop a fuzzy film, it is a while since you have used them? at 76+++, I even have trouble finding them. so you say I am not the only one that this happens too? old age sucks! thanks for the info.

I store lead projectiles in air tight containers. No lead oxide for years. Yea, when I get going I make a lot of projectiles. And, yea, I need to shoot more.

"Also when I go to his house for a visit we can run over to the range and have some round ball contests."

Here's a fun shooting contest for you guys Take a double blade axe stuck into a stump at 12/15 yards, put a small nail about 2" out on each side of the exposed blade and then hang a clay pigeon an each nail and start 'splittin' round balls. Your .58 will definitely have an advantage over your brothers .45, but, all in all, a great way to spend an hour or so having fun. Might even bet a 'cold' beverage of some sort on the most breaks.
Powderhorn09
Good one, our old club (Tenasaw River Muzzleloaders had a couple "shoots" where we suspended Champaign (full) by a long string, and if you cut the string, it was yours. Only suspend it couple inches above ground obviously.

Back