MY ROD IS SWELLED UP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm, not sure. I will check that out as I do have the original that came with the gun. Thanks A

We had a good rifle maker and carpenter in our muzzleloading club in 70's, (Tom Stout) and he showed us how to water seal our rods and "cure" them by putting them in a tube (large conduit, and PVC would work) filled with kerosene and capped. Let stand for a year if you have time, invert occasionally, I still have many of mine left over from the early 70's I still use. This will make them a little more flexible which can be a problem in thin rods though, but it works fine.

What Mad Irish Jack said, as well as drax50. I too have a PVC tube, capped at the bottom and with a screw on cap at the top, filled with kerosene and 3/8" dowels. This has been sitting in my garage for several years.... hmmm, must be close to ten years now without needing a new ramrod. I guess it's insurance - if I didn't have it I would be breaking rods left and right! :eek:

~WH~

Years ago I bought a dozen rod (hickory) blanks. A friend put them in a big tube for me and filled it with kerosene. They were in there for around a month. I aired them out and there was no smell left on them. None have broken so far but I do make them into ramrods that I take care of. One thing I noticed is that they now resist absorbing stain unlike the untreated ones.

Give all your wood, new or other rods a good soaking with boiled linseed oil and it will never happen again. Have rods well over 50 years old, none have warped, twisted or binded & they have a nice mellow golden hue. It waterproofs, seals, enhances all the wood grain, and keeps them in great condition. Wood treated with linseed oil will last forever if treated, & reapplied during it's life. It was what the US ARMY used since the late 18th centurey and up to the m14 for all it's wood. It works.

Thanks Paddywonka. Sounds like a perfect fix. I actually have some so I think I will try it.

Afishhunter, the ramrod from TOTW was close, but not the same diameter as the original that came with the gun. It fit the thimbles but rather snugly. I guess besides the rain, the larger diameter also contributed to it getting stuck. I have just sanded it down (actually quite a bit). It now goes into the thimbles pretty easily with just a bit of snugness towards the barrel end to keep it in place.

I wish my rod would swell up. it falls out. I may have to go to an iron one.

I had the same problem as Toot, fixed it by gluing a small piece of thin leather in the ramrod channel.

~WH~

My experience with kerosene is that it evaporated within a month or two, and what had been a flexible rod became about as stiff as one that had not been soaked. Up until a week ago I had not broken one in 10+ years. I managed to pull the tip off a pistol rod and left the tip and jag in the barrel. I ended up shooting it out. The pin tore up the tip and the wooden rod, so I need to make a replacement rod. This one failed because I was in a hurry and did not epoxy it. I also drilled the pin with the wood grain instead of across the grain and it tore out the endgrain when it pulled free. I will not make these mistakes again.

If you can split out a rod from a straight piece of hickory, you have a rod that is almost impossible to break short of abuse. Use a block plane to make it roughly octagon, point one end in a pencil sharpener and drive it through a few different sizes of holes in a dowel sizing plate until you get the size you want. Bend as necessary using a gentle flame to heat the rod. I won one of these dowel plates in a drawing at our local woodworking club, but you can make one out of 1/4 inch stock that works every bit as good. Standard Dowel Plate

To tighten a ramrod so it doesn't fall out, use heat and apply a small gentle bend to the rod. It will act like a spring and keep it from falling out. Not much bend is needed, say a sixteenth or so, maybe a tad more.

I had the same problem as Toot, fixed it by gluing a small piece of thin leather in the ramrod channel.
~WH~

I used a piece of leather in one of my rifles to keep the rod from falling out.

Being new to BP, as you all know by now, I took a different spin on this problem. A good friend makes mid 1800s clothing used brain tan elk, deer etc. ships world wide. I prefer my range solid brass rod so he's making me a back quiver for vintage archery or my range rod while still having my under barrel rod. Making it out of a XL buck mink I caught and had tanned. If it's not long enough I have a couple of tanned skunks that better fit my personality. Out

thanks guys I have glued a thin piece of leather into the rod channel and worked fine, solved problem. again thanks' guys.

I recommends against straightening your ramrod. On several of my rifles the slight curvature of the ramrod is what keeps the rod in place. I do recommend sanding and thorough sealing, then an occasional wipe with floor wax.

Reminds me of the time, back in 1982, when I discovered I had a stuck ramrod at the start of a hunt with an unloaded rifle. I was out in the middle of nowhere and there wasn't much I could do about it.
While we're on the subject, what kind of "finish" should be applied to prevent this problem?
Boiled linseed oil about 6-8 coats let dry a day or two between coats

I recommends against straightening your ramrod. On several of my rifles the slight curvature of the ramrod is what keeps the rod in place. I do recommend sanding and thorough sealing, then an occasional wipe with floor wax.

New rods are inexpensive get a new one

Latest posts

Back