Just saying hi

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Hi i just joined

I have several muzzleloaders and im waiting on my new Green Mountain 54-120 brush gun. They are closed till Jan 3rd so i cant order it.

My current list

Winchester Apex stainless 50 with a CVA Kodiak mag pro laminated thumbhole stock and 3x9x40. Both are basically the same rifle. Shoots sub 300grain sabots and Great Plains conicals fairly well.

Pedersoli Ovation camo 50 blue with a redot sight. Fairly short brush 50 with 1-24 twist. For $99 bucks its awesome. Ugly as hell but built like a vault and a quality barrel. This gun loves heavy sabots and GP conicals.

CVA Accura 45 stainless APG thumbhole stock. GREAT rifle, i was amazed at the out of the box accuracy. 100grs of Blackhorn209 and most 180-200gr 40/45 sabots shoot sub 2" with ease. I just started playing with some 357/45 mild loads using 147gr XTPs too 200gr .358 FTX bullets.

I wonder how well a 147gr XTP is going to hold together over 1500fps. :lol: And how fast it will shoot accurately. :? I dont have my hopes up but it should be fun :D

It loves the Hornady 200gr SSTs with a wide range of BH209 powder charges and Crushrib sabots with cheap 180-200gr plated bullets for plinking/practice.

Im dying to get the Green Mountain 54. its from their custom shop and based on a Knight Disc Elite with a 20" barrel. Limited production of 250 in blue and stainless. Under $400 its a LOT of gun for the money.

Well thats a bit about me and glad to be here. Ive been looking for a "modern" muzzleloader forum.

Hey there GM54. Welcome to the nuthouse. Looks like you already have your own branch on the tree.

Pedersoli Ovation camo 50 blue with a redot sight. Fairly short brush 50 with 1-24 twist. For $99 bucks its awesome. Ugly as hell but built like a vault and a quality barrel.

You know, I almost bought one of those Ovations for a knock-around gun when they were going for $99. I figured they would be good shooters. But my other guns informed me they would not allow it in the closet with them. :wink:

I couldnt pass it up for $99 and the barrel is proof tested. Italy is very strict about barrels. It kicks like a mule so i removed the rear site and put a weaver type base there and on the front scope base holes.

Then mounted a red dot type sight.......... long eye relief style. :D

Its one of the few guns ive owned that will shoot a 44cal 265gr in a 50 sabot fairly well. I had to use a felt wad over the powder and a magnum sub base but its a slammer. BH209 ignites 100% even with standard win or cci 209 primers.

No scope bite and keeps all the stuff away from the primer pocket. I tried a long eye relief 2.5x scope first but this works better.

When my GM 54 gets here the Ovation might be retired of just used for testing. Its my only 1-24 twist and i like to tinker.

Found my pics...what was i thinking. :lol:

Win Apex with CVA stock i got for only $74
Apex50-1.jpg

Accura 45
Accura5.jpg

Ovation with LER scope
OvationScout1.jpg

Ovation with reddot and Apex with hunting stock
50s1.jpg

Soon to be added.....God i love this gun!!!!

54_Brush_Rifle_FL_-_Web.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Those are some nice looking guns you have there.

I have the Green Mountain .54. If you hunt heavy cover it's a great gun. I use 430 gr. Maxiballs in mine with 100 gr. Pyrodax. One doe down with it so far. Shoulder shot at 40 yards so she wouldn't run into the swamp dropped on the spot. Also my most accurate offhand shooting gun. Better than both of my Omegas and cheaper. You will not be dissappointed!

Latest posts

Back