Lyman Plains bullets 395gr First test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Not bad at all!! 50 yards today with my Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal shooting a Lyman 395gr conical over 80gr Alliant Black MZ. They load very nice! Snug at the top loading band and then go right down with a little resistance. No swabbing was needed to sustain accuracy, which is great for hunting in case you need another shot or 2. First 3 shots then a total of 5. Next up, I will run it out to 100 yards and see how low she shoots.I'm about to guess around 6" low. Also, check out that smashed up bullet I recovered from the tires! I'll try them in my Winchester X-150 as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0660.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG
    957.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    782.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    723.2 KB · Views: 22
" .50 cal shooting a Lyman 395gr conical over 80gr Alliant Black MZ " I'll have to try this, interesting.

recoil wasn't bad to be honest. I may kick it up to 90gr and see, but normally 80gr 2fg with conicals seems to be best all around.

Goo Shooting Jonathan!! That Bullet will make Quite the HAMMER on Big Game!! I have Videos of Both the 50 and 54 Lyman Plains on my YouTube Channel, They are 2 of my TOP DOGS!!

That’s some fine shooting there Jonathan.
I love recovering bullets. I’ll go outta my way to see how they performed, or the terminal ballistics so to speak.

Back