Lyman .45cal Maxiballs on the range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
.45cal CVA Firebolt Ultramag @ 50 yards today. Nothing serious! Just wanted to try out my 225gr ( They drop at just under 228 grains ) Lyman Maxiballs, 70gr Alliant Black MZ, Winchester W209 primers.

No swabbing the bore between shots, just load up, seat the bullet HARD to squish that Black MZ down, and shoot. I only used the Bipod today.

Recoil was like shooting a patched round ball and accuracy was a solid start. Shes shooting high because its zeroed in with 460gr no excuse conicals.
53023810.jpg

primer10.jpg

For shooting off the bipod and using this as a first test load, Im pretty damn happy! I certainly expect them to all touch once I lay down the shooting bags.
53010610.jpg

Nothing wrong with that!! I really like the looks of the rifle :ttups: The .45 Caliber is my all time Favorite

It's a shooter!  Now THAT's versatility in a smoke gun ...460 grain to 225 grain. :Red tup:

Marty said:
It's a shooter!  Now THAT's versatility in a smoke gun ...460 grain to 225 grain. :Red tup:
Versatility is 1 of the Big reasons for my love of the fast twist .45 Cals, I have shot 45 ACP Pistol bullets as light as 188 Grains, all the way up to my largest 540 Grain Elliptical bullets in my Fast Twist 45s, and every weight in between with Equally good Success. I have 4 Different Fast Twist .45s, 3 Sidelocks, and a .451 White Super 91, The Super 91 is a 1:20 Twist, My Fastest Twist Sidelock is my “Business Rifle” with 32” 1:18 Twist Green Mountain Barrel. My Rice .45 Cal in a TC Hawken stock is 1:20 Twist, and my Green Mountain LRH 45 Cal in another TC Hawken Stock is 1:30 Twist. 

I can do Any, and Everything a .50 or .54 Will do With my .45s and a WHOLE BUNCH more! But the .45 Is not legal to Hunt Elk with in the State of Idaho? Very similiar to You Colorado Guy’s new law of .50 PRB being outlawed, and now needing a .54 PRB or bigger to Hunt Elk with. I have never been effected by any Rule Change here, We have never been allowed to Hunt Elk with a .45 Cal, I have no doubt it has to due with the Light weight 128 Grain .440 Roundball, in which I fully understand, But they could Easily make a Projectile Weight Restriction for .45 Cal of Say 200 Grain Min, that would Make the little Roundball illegal, But allow the .45 Maxi Ball, and Obviously anything above it. It is Highly doubtful anything like that will happen? You can Stil Hunt Elk here with a .50 Cal .490 PRB, The way the Game Laws are Written here, You can legally Hunt Elk here with a .25ACP, Now figure that one out?

On another Forum, i once Told Jonathan it wouldn’t bother me if Idaho Followed Colorado in Doing Away with the .50 PRB for Elk and making it .54 PRB or Better, And truth is it would NOT have ANY effect on me Whatsoever Since i am a Dedicated Bullet Guy, But i was Wrong for Saying that Since i have ZERO experience Hunting with PRB, and VERY LITTLE experience target Shooting PRB, I have only Shot PRB a couple of times, It just doesn’t interest me like Big Lead Bullets do. I Recently Bought this Old USA Stamped CVA Mountain Rifle in .45 Cal to Learn as much as i can About Shooting PRB. In fact, im gonna load up now and Go Shoot it :ttups: I have a Peep sight Setup on it now! I will get some Pics and Post.

Latest posts

Back