The Lyman Plains Bullet thread

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
May as well keep track!

Out on the range today in a t shirt! Gorgeous cloudless sky, perfect for shooting. One minor set back, my contacts are a little old and so I keep having to blink to get them clear before I squeeze the trigger. Another set back, I was tilting my rifle with the badly off center target holder and so I was struggling with the shots going to the right. Once I caught onto this, I corrected it and put the last 3 shots well under 3" in the bulls eye ( one slightly outside of the left of the black )

I used the Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal 28" barrel with 1:48 twist and 80gr Alliant Black MZ with the home cast 395gr Lyman Plains bullet. Outstanding bullet! What's crazy... Its shooting same POI as my patched round ball load!

Target was shot from 100 yards.
20200107_121724.jpg
20200107_123020.jpg
20200107_121649.jpg
20200107_125135.jpg

Ok, went back out again, exact same load but I used the larger 4 1/2" red bullseye to aim at. Without a doubt this is a guaranteed accurate load! First shot I swabbed the bore completely clean, and as it shows, its aprox 1 1/2" higher then the follow 2 shots on a dirty bore. I can handle that during hunting season!

This 3 shot - 100 yard group measures 1 3/4" There is no possible way I could hope to shrink this down! I'm using a german silver front sight and a traditional lyman great plains rifle rear sight. Pretty "primitive" but I see them super clear and have had no trouble in the past with them. If anything, I will have to drift the rear sight over a touch to the left to bring the group more towards the center.
Untitled.jpg

Now this is a bullet / load to play with, no patches should make a second shot much easier on game Jonathan when in a hurry or cold hands.

Now I have to try this on the GRRW Collector Association - J&B Hawken that you tested a while back for me. Thanks for keeping us informed on your testing. :thumbs up:

HawkenTaperFulstockFullRigh.jpg

buck conner.jpg

Not bad! Upped the charge to 90gr black mz with my 395gr plains bullets that i cast. 100 yrds. No where neae as accurate as 80gr, but still a decent group for hunting. I also shot 70gr 3fg swiss which shot pretty much the same, but a LOT better when I dropped it to 60gr. It is such an odd powder though! I swear this stuff is not a true black powder. With swiss, I had a few hang fires.

What kind of penetration are you seeing on the tires? Will the 395gr plains bullets pass through the tires? :coffee:

skills.jpg

Yes they go right through those little 4 ply tires up on top. I have some 10 ply tires that I will set up to replace all 4 since they are pretty torn up.

It seems 80grs is the magic number with most of all my loads too. I use an Ox Yoke lubed wad too. Punches the shoulder nicely ;)

Latest posts

Back