100 yards CVA Firebolt Ultramag

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Took the Firebolt Ultramag .45 out to 100 yards today. 228gr Lyman Maxiball - 80gr Black MZ - Winchester W209 primers. My first load of 70gr was not good, maybe 4 inch groups, so I upped it and then shot 3 shots touching, and the next 2 drifted off a bit to the right. I think I may have had to rifle canted a bit on those shots? I adjusted the scope down and put it 1" high at 100 and it was center like the first 3 shots. Most likely something I did.

I also recovered some of those Maxi balls from the 10 ply tires I shoot into as a back stop.
53204910.jpg

53539810.jpg

You can see my earlier struggles with the 70gr load to. I tried everything from shooting it hot, to letting it cool for 5 minutes. Just wasn't enough powder for 100 yards.
53172810.jpg

With this set up, I could hold solid on a flies ass all day long.
53220910.jpg

With a relatively light bullet like that it's no surprise you needed more than 70 grains in that .45 bore.  Nice work in digging those bullets out...they look great!
Awesome group :ttups:

Any idea on Velocity? I don’t know anything about Black MZ Powder?

I tried some 100gr charges at the range over the weekend and had terrible results! Pushed that little booger to fast! I want to try a felt wad behind it with the same charge and see if that will give acceptable groups.

she loves 100 grains blackhorn209 with the sabot loads. Really kicks up some dust!

Latest posts

Back