Let's Get Back To Muzzleloading - Traditional & In-Line / What's your feelings about scopes on traditional muzzle-loaders?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty this is an interesting subject and what others think.

By the way the second gun shown was used by a southern sniper to kill a high ranking Union Officer at the end of the Civil War (documented in several books).

View attachment 2202
Union Officer killed at a quarter mile, with one shot from this rifle held by a southern sniper.
That single shot was estimated to be over a quarter of a mile when stepped off, that's over 1,300 feet folks. The author in one article said according to everything he had researched along with signed documents "the sniper practiced shooting at that distance before making the attempt".

WOW what shooting, now Idaho Lewis is going to have to have a man size target. :dancing chicken:

Hey, Buck! Here is a frightening encounter with one of those dangerous beasts. A large bull almost knocked my wife out of the truck bed by simply nudging her for a treat. HIS head was the size of a VW Beetle.

259278_1947861370548_5455246_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Buck! Here is a frightening encounter with one of those dangerous beasts. A large bull almost knocked my wife out of the truck bed by simply nudging her for a treat. HIS head was the size of a VW Beetle.

I have to look through my files, have a picture of me kissing a young cow about this size. Was holding a piece of horse candy in my mouth and April (calf cow) would take it out of my mouth. Our lips had touched more than once. 😊

When she got to be around 1,200 lbs. the rancher was going to offer her for a bufflao hunt. Wilbur called me knowing how well April and myself got along. Ended up I bought her with the understanding she was to be one of his breeding stock and not killed. She lived 18 years of age when the vet said "it's time to help her, let's put her down". Wilbur wanted me to do the honors, I couldn't shoot her so I paid the vet to give her a shot and I was there to say "Good girl, see you in the next life". 😟

buff21.jpg

Last edited:
That single shot was estimated to be over a quarter of a mile when stepped off, that's over 1,300 feet folks. The author in one article said according to everything he had researched along with signed documents "the sniper practiced shooting at that distance before making the attempt".

WOW what shooting, now Idaho Lewis is going to have to have a man size target. :dancing chicken:
Must have been Jody Wales....

Well on my inline I went from a 3x9x40 DOA to a 2x7x32 plex. Enables me to get on game quicker and more accurately. Also did away with my nikon ranging scopes on my CF rifles back to a plex,same excellent results after the change. I guess bigger and busier isn`t always better. Darn cataracts and floaters. On the plus side I have to concentrate more as I age.

I also have a Nikon 2x7 with the duplex reticle on my Traditions Vortek Ultralight. I zero it at 100 yards and it shoots point black out to about 150. If it a long shot, I just set the power at 5c and use the bottom point of the duplex for 200 yards. I pretty much leave it at 5x for hunting around here. Quick target acquisition and plenty magnification for my eye. I don’t like scopes on side locks. Just doesn’t seem right to me.

I think certain forums give in lines a bad rap. I have one and love it. I enjoy shooting it and developing loads for it. Using an in-line for hunting is not a chip shot like most people think. There is still plenty that can go wrong. They are not simply a point and shoot weapon. It takes skill and handling to produce consistent, accurate shot placement. I found that out last year with a dirty breach plug. Once it was choked down with carbon, my groups were all over the place. Finally figured out what the issue was and it’s much better now if I keep that sucker as clean as possible.

Last edited:
On the broad subject of getting back to “muzzle”loading, the traditional folks debating with the modern in-line folks and vice versa will always exist. Defending personal preferences is just what we all inherently do. The way I see it, no matter what hunting load you ramrod down the barrel it’s still a one–shot “muzzleloader”… plain and simple. For me it’s all about the hunt, so I hunt much more than I range shoot. The challenge of the hunt lies not only in the implement of choice to harvest game, but more importantly the mental challenge to design a satisfying and hopefully rewarding hunt. Dedicated and sincere hunters are always cursed to maintain or seek-out greater challenges in their hunts…be it the game, the implement or the distance. The muzzleloading laws with promulgated regulations are there to provide the young, the senior and the disabled hunter with a universe of opportunities to hunt ethically in a manner which accommodates each one’s individual’s limitations (i.e., physical, eyesight etc.). For those that surmise open-sight, round-ball sidelocks provide the purest traditional hunting challenge, perhaps you should give traditional archery a shot.
Hunt with whatever you feel comfortable with within the law and forget about what others may opine.

The sight of a flintlock going off at dusk is a glorious sight. If I can find the pic, I'll post it.

The sight of a flintlock going off at dusk is a glorious sight. If I can find the pic, I'll post it.

Here's one of a caplock going off at dusk. It was loaded with a concave base conical and must've had some BP compacted into the base since you can see the path of the conical. I loaded it in December for late season elk, and had ended up not shooting it out until about April. Went off just fine.
first.JPG

I'm an old guy and have faced a lot of strange stuff over my lifetime. Quite a few years ago, I started making some rules to govern my life somewhat as a personal challenge. I take some criticism occasionally from friends and family, but I have stuck with these rules to challenge myself:
1. I don't eat blue food
2. I don't order anything listed on a menu as a #2
3. I never purchase anything listed as "bad ass"...as I consider it "low class"
4. I'll never own an inline...
Thus far I haven't found any further challenges I've needed to face.

If you really want easier, hire a pro hunter to harvest your game and you get it mounted and tell the stories you can make up as you wish. traditional is," the way it was done in the past!" If that's not your nitch, get out of the sport that follows TRADITION and those WAYS! People who want to live a traditional way are in the outer fringes in log homes with out buildings. They'd rather have an extra horse or two, some cows or goats. The don't use a lawnmower.

No scopes on BP rifles for me. I get chastised by our local members or using peep sights on my hunting UHs and these sights are traditional!

No scopes on BP rifles for me. I get chastised by our local members or using peep sights on my hunting UHs and these sights are traditional!

Yep, you sure don't want to get yer'self hung just for what yer carry. 😃:cheers:

Scopes on in lines Well I got two with scopes these are Hunting, Then I got my Hawken no scope I am elder lost some sight over the years My Younger self would call one a mangina for using scopes, However the Older (not necessarily wiser) understands the use of a scope

Really....what does it matter? You do what you have to do to hunt or shoot.
A scope on a flintlock or side-lock takes away from the aesthetics of the gun, however, if it takes a scope to use your favorite gun, use it. As far as an inline....again, if it takes a scope to get ya where ya want to be, do it!! You're the one hunting, you're the one shooting. Good luck...end of session.

BTW: if you are chastised for your choices...tell'em to f#$%k off and have a great day and a beer. :cheers:

Back