Game taken with Primitive Firearms - MUZZLE-LOADERS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
:hats off:​
good_old_days.jpg
Subject : Game taken with Primitive Firearms - MUZZLE-LOADERS

Show us pictures of legal game taken with a traditional muzzleloader (no in-lines). Also show us your primitive hunting camp and weapons would be fun.

A neat hunt that beat us into the ground a years ago. Hunting in the north east corner of Colorado, steep cliffs and very hard climbing to get close enough to get your game. Here's a picture of a friends "Once in a Lifetime" goat, taken with a 20 gauge NW Trade gun (smooth bore). Larry shot this goat at daylight as he (the goat) stood up from his resting place. My friend stayed on the mountain all night waiting for his one shot that turned into success.

GAME
2006_larry_s_goat.jpg
Talk about excitement, what an experience.​
WEAPONS

2016_hunt_guns.jpg
A few "hunt guns" of our group that has hunted together since 1972-73.​
CAMP
2017.jpg
Simple 1800's camp site away from campfire,​
(sparks light wool blankets very easily).​
I also mentioned a primitive hunting camp, here's my usual setup that can be carried in one trip. Very simple, period correct and meets approval of the "Primitive Rifle Association". Use to eat and sleep on the approval of the living history groups like the AMM, PRA, NAF and others. Would have documentation on every piece of equipage used kept in my truck in a (3) ring binder (I think now it was more work than common sense to make the effort of being correct).  We wanted the experience of this life style that our forefathers had no choice other than doing the best with what was at hand.

I checked my post-Photobucket files and this is the best I can do right now:
rabbitone30.jpg

Here are a few glimpses of typical terrain. No lions and tigers, but it can sure hide a lot of bears along with the deer, snowshoe hare and ptarmigan!
habitat2.jpg

habitat3.jpg

habitat4.jpg

habitat1.jpg

Got back into hunting with conventional muzzleloaders in 2013 when Ft. Sill changed the rules for deer hunting.   Killed a few deer  and a bunch of wild hogs with .50 and .54 New Englanders using patched round ball. 

This buck was hit while drinking from a pond.   i was in a tree stand on the dam.   Buck flopped around in the water and muck for about 20 seconds then expired.

O71u6QK.jpg

Snuck up on that big sow and put a round ball in her ear: 

1W8Pe0M.jpg

Cool idea for a thread connor.   :Red tup:

A goat can be an incredibly hard animal to get close to.  Can you recall the year the 1st photo of the goat was taken?

Marty said:
Cool idea for a thread connor.   :Red tup:

A goat can be an incredibly hard animal to get close to.  Can you recall the year the 1st photo of the goat was taken?
Larry shot this one in 1998 or 1999, then he turned around drew a "Once in a Lifetime Sheep Permit" in 2012. Hunted the 2013 season into 2014 and passed away while in camp one evening. He was found a few days later by the game warden. A good guy and a great hunter.

2006_larry_s_goat.jpg

No primitive camp yet, but my first flintlock buck I took with a head shot at 40 yards using 110gr 3fg goex and a .490" round ball.
100_2210.jpg

This is what it looks like where I usually hunt:

prince11.jpg

This is how I sometimes get there:

prince10.jpg

These are the two biggest bucks I've gotten with a muzzleloader - a Sile Hawken Hunter.

fe6pt210.jpg

7_pt_d10.jpg

How big is your boat pat' ?
--------------------------------------
p.s. Nice deer.  I've never hunted deer by boat but it sure sounds adventurous!

Marty said:
How big is your boat pat' ?
--------------------------------------
p.s. Nice deer.  I've never hunted deer by boat but it sure sounds adventurous!
It's a 16' Lucky Strike which is like a wide Gheenoe. Mine is third hand and I traded a 17' Bass Pro boat and motor for it. I also got some other goodies in the trade. Best trade I ever made. It will float in about 4" of water and go most anywhere with the 15 HP motor .. I even had it out in the Gulf of Mexico over a mile off shore.

It's a lot easier to get a hog or deer out than dragging it for a mile or so.

pict0110.jpg

Bob,

I wouldn't know how to hunt your country, not use to swamps or the things that crawl around them. When still hunting on the east coast fifty years ago I spent as much time looking at the ground (cooperheads, rattlers) as I did looking for game. In the west its still rattlers until you go up in higher areas.

I haven't seen a rattler here in the last 10 years but I don't look for snakes. I grew up where there were no poisonous snakes and never developed the habit. 

We have plenty of cottonmouths around as you can imagine by the wet areas I hunt. I hate those nasty suckers.

I've seen rattlers in the lower foothills just west of Denver. We don't hear about bites very often, but a bicyclist got off his bike in the foothills and was bitten. He suffered anaphylactic shock and died. A few years ago, a woman jogger was bitten at the base of South Table Mountain in Golden, CO, near Coors facility. She survived. She shouldn't have been bitten because she was an attorney and should have been protected from the snake by professional courtesy.
I was offered a summer job in the 1970s with a herpetologist. We would go out in a boat in the swamps of Eastern Coastal Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina. He would should a specialized stun gun into the ground next to the snake, then toss it into the boat for me to put into a canvas bag. I turned the job down. NOBODY was going to fling cottonmouths at me in an enclosed area!
Ron

When I was in college in Alabama, my buddy and I would go frog gigging at night all the time. One time I was paddling in the stern and he was the sticker when I saw a frog under a willow bush. We glided in and he stuck the frog. When he rotated to put the frog on a stringer, his gig knocked a cottonmouth out of the bush and it landed in the canoe between us.

You can imagine the bedlam that ensued but somehow we got that snake out of the canoe without dumping ourselves in the lake.
___________________________________________________________________________________

I just now noticed that this thread is in the "Shooting Range" section. Shouldn't it be in "Hunting Lodge" or "Traditional Muzzleloading"?

Latest posts

Back