Lee REAL Issues

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rost495

Reaction score
Hi

Question #2 of the night. I have a bunch of REAL bullets for my Renegade 54. Fairly easy to get into the bore till the very last lube groove. Then its horrible. I have to tap the short starter with a mallet etc... but once started go down the bore like all the others.

Just curious as to whats going on there.

Thanks, Jeff

Not 100% positive on this, but have measured them and the top band is a little larger for the reason of engravine the rifling at loading. I shoot these in my flinter and they load just like yours. No worries mate. I was wondering ther same some time ago then realized R.E.A.L. is short for Rifling Engraved At Loading. Hope this may shed some light.

NEW222

So, if you hunt with these, how would you handle a speed load IF you ever had to shoot a second shot? I"m not much interested in carrying a mallet along on a backpack hunt.

Thanks, Jeff

Not too sure how to anwser this. I'm not sure on the gun you're using, but you could go with a ball and patch for a follow up shot. Or try a Lee Minnie, or T/C maxi, as these are slightly undersize. Up here I hunt with a sabot and use a T/C Maxiball for follow ups.

NEW222

Short starter and a heavy whack with your hand. Most of the conicals you'll buy at a retail store are either tapered or stepped diameter. The Maxi's are, the REALs are, the Great Plains are.... some will start easier than others though.

Gotta have about a 5 pound solid hand to get it wacked. I wacked my short starter with my hand until it became bruised. Then I turned the gun upside down on the bench and rammed it home. Next time I found a piece of a brick to do the wacking.

I realize they are all tapered to a degree, but this seems kinda crazy.

Thanks, Jeff

That thought occurred. My good friend says he bought the lead as pure but you never know. I am gonna do a finger nail scratch test one evening compared to hornady balls.

Only other thing that came to mind is that I was starting them by pushing them down with my thumb till they stopped. Then trying to short start them. Maybe I should just be setting them on top and trying to pop them all the way at once. But thinking forward to speed loaders, not sure at all that they would do anything near starting the bullet.

I'd sentimentally like to use these bullets from my good friend but if I have to use something else I will.

Anyone care to comment about thoughts of just rounding that fattest ridge off just a bit with a file or emery cloth?

Jeff

I'm thinking your friend is making a harder alloy bullet. See if you can get some TC branded Maxi's to load any easier. I wouldn't do the file thing but you might pre-size them if you can find an appropriate sizer (or make one). A sizer, a wooden dowel, and a mallard! :wink:

Get your friend to clean his pot and try some KNOWN pure lead. Roofing lead is good.

TC bullets, both styles push in with my thumb and some pressure, no probem

The deal was this was sold as pure lead to him in Alaska. No way of telling for sure though.

More time will tell I guess.

Jeff

If you know another caster, he might have a hardness tester. That would tell the tale.

Back