Latest Underhammer build

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's some beautiful wood. And a nice job of fitting.

I just applied my first coat of 111.
T@T varnish, Spar Varnish, and Turpentine equal parts.
An internet find that is water proof and doesn't look like plastic.

highlandwarrior

1-1-1 sealer and finish 0r, try 1-1-1/2 finish

If you are still having trouble with the true oil or anyone else looking for a faster finish, try this. This is probably the easiest and one of the most beautiful finishes there is. Mix equal parts marine grade spar varnish (semi gloss), Tried & True Varnish Oil, and pure gum turpentine . (This is the only kind of linseed oil that will work because it is the only true boiled linseed and totally nontoxic) Sand bow down to at least 220 grit then wipe a heavy coat of the mix on with a cloth. Leave it until it gets almost to sticky to wipe (45min.-1.25hr depending on temp.) (Tried & True may (will) be less time ) then rub vigorously with clean cloth until all the excess is gone and you can touch the bow or gun without sticking. Let this first coat dry 24hrs, after that you can do a coat every couple hours or less. When the first 24 is up lightly sand with 400 grit then rub with 0000 steel wool, just to get the little bumps that raise up from the wet finish. All other coats are rubbed in with a cloth and ready to wipe after 20-40min. no other sanding is needed after the first coat, just rub the bow hard with a clean cloth just before putting a new coat on. Because you wipe off the excess on each coat you don't have to worry about dust or runs, and you get the look of linseed oil with the protection of marine spar varnish. 4 coats will do but 7-10 is better, then just rub in a few coats of your choice of wax. A couple of warnings- linseed oil will spontaneously combust on cloths as it dries, when you are done with a coat put all soiled cloths in water and put them outside, also if you wait too long before you rub off the excess you will have an almost impossible time getting it even, just rub it off as soon as it feels sticky. You get a fast build up, flexible, water proof finish with minimal work, and it looks awesome.

42d5922e-964b-4edf-8da2-09fe7be44b54.jpg87032.jpg
This is what I used, the 1,1,1.
It is very thin, 7 coats.
I may try 1,1, 1/2 for the finish coats.VO-Feature-photo-2.jpg
The 111 makes a great sealer.
IMG_0205w.jpg
Updated directions 8/8/2023 11:10PM

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back