L&R locks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For years I've been tossing around the idea of buying a replacement lock for my T/C Renegade. I've had several flintlocks in the past, almost always at least 2 and what I found is that T/C locks are very inconsistent in there speed. The lock I have on this Rene is the fastest T/C lock I even owned and came from another rifle I owned many years ago. Its been on several different rifles. But it still seems to be lacking. Those of you that have L&R or other locks please provide me with your input on after market locks - Yea or nay?

The replacement lock from L&R for the T/C Renegade or Hawken is a much better lock than the originals. They are not drop it replacements however. The lock mortise has to be hogged out to accommodate the leaf spring used. In some cases, (depending on the age of the rifle) The lock plate has to be filed to fit the mortise. I have replaced two T/C locks with the L&R replacements, but my current T/C lock with the modified cock and replacement frizzen is quite fast and sparks real well so I won't be replacing it.

I used an L&R flintlock for my CVA rifle that I put together from parts earlier this year.
The lock wasn't new when I bought it but in very good condition.
It wasn't a drop in either. I did have a but of wood to remove from the mortise. Maybe a half hours work.
The lock sparks good and if I have a good sharp flint, it goes off instantly. 20220730_091027.jpg

For years I've been tossing around the idea of buying a replacement lock for my T/C Renegade. I've had several flintlocks in the past, almost always at least 2 and what I found is that T/C locks are very inconsistent in there speed. The lock I have on this Rene is the fastest T/C lock I even owned and came from another rifle I owned many years ago. Its been on several different rifles. But it still seems to be lacking. Those of you that have L&R or other locks please provide me with your input on after market locks - Yea or nay?
Have you tried taking apart your TC locks and polishing up all pieces of metal that move in contact with other pieces of metal? Just did that with the Renegade percussion lock that I'm working on, and the improvements in speed and striking force are dramatic. I'm guessing it's cut the lock time in half. Fit and finish of the interior lock parts are the only poor quality aspects of the Renegade I've found... but there's a lot you can do to fix it.

Have you tried taking apart your TC locks and polishing up all pieces of metal that move in contact with other pieces of metal? Just did that with the Renegade percussion lock that I'm working on, and the improvements in speed and striking force are dramatic. I'm guessing it's cut the lock time in half. Fit and finish of the interior lock parts are the only poor quality aspects of the Renegade I've found... but there's a lot you can do to fix it.
Yep, and so far that seems true for almost every factory trigger ive worked on so so far.

Back