Future sidelock

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowanna

Stupidity knows no bounds but knows many people!
Supporting member
Reaction score
I own 3 in-lines and have seriously been considering getting in the game with a sidelock.
Lots of choices, I think a kit would be the ticket, a friend while surfing said "Hell man, you could piece one together from right here on eBay!" I thought for a second and decided just for giggles I'd ask y'all.
Would a T/C Hawken .50 cal. 15/16 barrel fit a T/C Renegade lock, stock and trigger!

That is a bad idea. I purchased another stock for one of my Renegades, and while everything seemed to fit nicely, the rifle would not always shoot. Turns out the Hammer would require to be heated and bent to align with the nipple. I put all of the components back on the old stock and she fired every time.

If anyone is interested in a Renegade stock let me know.

How much do you want to spend, what do you want to use the sidelack for and how handy are you?

The kits are doable but they can be fiddly and often require hand fitting. If you are looking for something to slap together and stain you are going to be biting off more than you think.

The Kibler kits seem to be the exception to that, but they start at over $1,000 and I believe are only available in flintlock.

I would recommend you start with a known quality percussion rifle in the $500 to $600 range and just go shoot it. Then get into the more complicated stuff.

Think about what you want to do with it before you pick. For example, I hunt with mine in cold weather so I avoid double triggers. Too much of a PITA for me with gloves on, and I like to standardize between my hunting rifles as much as possible.

I own 3 in-lines and have seriously been considering getting in the game with a sidelock.
Lots of choices, I think a kit would be the ticket, a friend while surfing said "Hell man, you could piece one together from right here on eBay!" I thought for a second and decided just for giggles I'd ask y'all.
Would a T/C Hawken .50 cal. 15/16 barrel fit a T/C Renegade lock, stock and trigger!
First off, if you’re looking at parting one together from eBay, you’re more than likely going to end up with more in it than buying a clean used rifle.
Secondly, TC Hawkens can be had relatively cheap anyway. I bought one last fall from a guy in Oklahoma for $200. If you shop around, there are deals to be had.

There's always something for sale on the sister site, muzzleloading forum.
Someone has a TC Hawken and a Renegade for sale now.
Both are percussion lock.
Some of the old CVA guns are pretty nice and usually go for less money than TC. CVA parts are also more available.

Thanx y'all for the info. My question as to parting on together was only a feasibility or reality check.
My plan (my bank accounts plan) is to buy a Gemmer Hawken kit as I am pretty well versed in woodworking or if I can find a new (to me) one that's ready to shoot and is affordable I'll buy it. But a sidelock is definitely in my future plans.

I would take $300 cash split between two pockets and your wallet, and haunt the pawn shops and gun shops that do used stuff/consignment/etc in your are

In the past year I've seen for sale, have bought or know people who have bought with prices running from $45 to $300. And the $300 was a really nice Renegade with double set triggers.

I would take $300 cash split between two pockets and your wallet, and haunt the pawn shops and gun shops that do used stuff/consignment/etc in your are

In the past year I've seen for sale, have bought or know people who have bought with prices running from $45 to $300. And the $300 was a really nice Renegade with double set triggers.
🤔 I like the split the money idea, never let 'em know what your willin' to spend!

A TC Hawken 50 caliber 15/16 will fit a TC 50 caliber White Mountain Carbine stock. That's actually a really good combination as long as you get the hammer and nipple to line up.

I"m looking for (I think) a Thompson Center .54 cal. Renegade. It was a gun my dad owned years ago. Not sure what happened to it but I would like to find one now that he's gone. As a reminder of him. Maybe someone could help me look for the exact one. This is what I remember. It was barrel loaded. It had an octagon barrel It looks almost exactly like the one I listed but it didn't have the fancy trigger guard. Just a standard one. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
I"m looking for (I think) a Thompson Center .54 cal. Renegade. It was a gun my dad owned years ago. Not sure what happened to it but I would like to find one now that he's gone. As a reminder of him. Maybe someone could help me look for the exact one. This is what I remember. It was barrel loaded. It had an octagon barrel It looks almost exactly like the one I listed but it didn't have the fancy trigger guard. Just a standard one. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
All three of these are Renegades. The one with the fancy trigger guard and double set trigger is an older version. The single trigger and plain trigger guard is called a Renegade Hunter. The older ones will be easier to find, but they all can be found relatively easily. Look in GunBroker or put up a want to buy add in the classified section.

Attachments

• 20230926_200533.jpg
    20230926_200533.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
OH WOW!! The top one is exactly what I'm looking for. Its looks exactly like my dad's. Older is actually better. So that's the Renegade Hunter? I knew I came to the right place. Thank you!

OH WOW!! The top one is exactly what I'm looking for. Its looks exactly like my dad's. Older is actually better. So that's the Renegade Hunter? I knew I came to the right place. Thank you!
You're welcome! Yes, the top one is the newer Renegade Hunter. These had the single trigger like on the New Englanders. They were supposed to be simpler for hunting where a set trigger might not be desirable. I just bought this one from someone on the sister site. You can post a want to buy add here, but you will probably have more luck over there.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/firearms-for-sale-trade-wanted.92/

Back