L&R locks

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I've been shooting muzzys for a long time and I just had a custom .58 cal barrel flintlock made by Bob Hoyt for my Renegade stock. I'm not having too much of an issue with the T/C lock on this rifle but I was wondering how much better a L&R lock would be for it. Anyone use an L&R lock please leave a comment pro or con. Thanks

The L&R locks are quite good, and they generally do not eat flints like the old T/C locks. I had an older T/C lock that i would be lucky to get 6 shots out of a flint. I got the improved cock for the lock and have not had any problems since. Flint life runs between 20-60 shots depending on the quality of the flint. Just be advised, that if you decide to get the L&R replacement lock for the T/C it is NOT a drop in replacement. Wood needs to be hogged out of the lock mortise to accommodate the the leaf spring, and the lock face plate may need to be filed to fit the mortise. I believe you can still get the improved cock for the T/C from the Log Cabin Shop or the Gun Werks Shop.

Latest posts

Back