Kimber 84M rifles...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimA

Reaction score
When Grouse ordered his SPS 700 Remington and someone else brought up the 7mm08 it got me itching to check out some bolt guns this weekend. I was going to Cabela's to pick up some other stuff and got there early before the gun counter got too busy.I started handling some short action rifles to see how they feel. The last in line were the Kimbers. One was a 84M classic in blue with a great looking walnut stock and the other was a Montana in stainless with a kevlar synthetic stock.
Man, these were nice. They were the lightest rifles I have ever shouldered and just felt good. Does anyone here have any experience with these guns?
They look very well built and have a pretty good price tag too. I would sure appreciate any insight you could offer.

I purchased a 270 wsm montana 2 years ago. The gun is accurate and a dream to carry. The only gun I own that I can compare it to is my ULA Model 20 7mm-08 ACK-IMP. The older I become, the more I like carrying a lightweight, but accurate rifle. At the 1K price tag, I think the Kimber is still a good bargain when custom rifles in this weight range are 2x to 3x the cost of the Kimber.

JimA, I just got my Rifle back today. I got a trigger job done on it, and mounted the scope today. I hope to shoot it Sunday. :)

Grouse, I hope you didn't get clobbered with that snowstorm. :shock: I ordered my Kimber Montana in 7MM-08 on Friday. I hope it shows up soon. 8)

Well the new Kimber Montana 7mm-08 has arrived. It is under 6 pounds with the VX 11 3x9x40 mounted. :D I sure liked the looks of the Classic model but opted for the ugly sister for the nasty weather I will likely encounter on my next caribou hunt. This thing will be a dream to carry.

LilKimber.jpg

Jim,

That really is beauty...even with the plastic stock!!... :lol:

That will be a nice carrying rifle at that weight.

Jim,

I just finished mounting rings and a scope on a similiar type rifle. (The looks are quite a bit different but both guns would cover the same general type of game.)
I had thought my rig was relatively light until looked at the numbers on your...WOW!....Congrats again..

JC

125_2537.jpg

That is an AWESOME looking rig Jim! I like your choice of rifle AND caliber. That outfit should do a dandy job on a caribou!

I was really torn between the nice wood and checkering on the classic, but in the end kevlar and carbon fiber won out. 8)

Thanks Chuck, I will still try with my longbow first but if I have to reach out there I'm sure this will do the trick.

Yours is a lot prettier JC. :D

JimA said:
but in the end kevlar and carbon fiber won out.

Jim,

Don't worry...if you get tired of the battleship grey you can always have a nice paint job done on that stock... 8)

I am partial to the spiderweb patterns, but there are lots of great looking option out there.... :wink:

JC

Jim's Model 70

Jim,

Is your Model 70 featherweight a "Winchester trademark" stamped reciever or a "licensed by Olin"" stamped reciever??

choc-dog

Choc Dog,

While it would be impossible to tell from the picture, (to all but the most trained eye), that Winchester features a Super Short action.

In light of the fact that those actions are relatively new I presume all of the Super Short actions are stamped the same way..."Trade marks licensed from Olin".

When was the last time Winchesters were marked otherwise....?

Thanks, JC

winchester marked actions

It was 3 years ago or maybe more that the actions started appearing with the "licensed from Olin" stamp on the left side of the reciever.

My opinion is that those recievers were being made in the FN plant is South Carolina instead of New Haven. I have no way of knowing for sure unless someone here has the definative answer to this question.

While your rifle may be of "excellent quality" Winchester management
COMPLAINED loudly to the union management that the quality of product produced on the production floor was not to winchester standards or quality.

Everyone including the "union" production employees knew Winchester
was a sinking ship and apathy was rampant. Browning/Winchester service Dept. in St Louis is still replacing rifles (if available) or issuing refunds on
short mags with out-of -round chambers. How did that rifle "PASS" test firing"??

The last 2 years of production and especially the last several months of the Winchester feeding frenzy before the closure if it went BANG the gun went into a box for shipment.

The "Winchester Trademark" stamped recievers are a quality product.

My brother went thru 5 Winchester Coyote rifles in 22/250 at Gander Mountain to find a decent crown . The quality variation between each of the 5 was troublesome. The rifle would not shoot....period. He has a Cooper now.

Choc-Dog,

All that may or may not be true....

Fortunately, none of it concerns me much for the following reasons.

1). As it might possibly relate to the gun I own, the rest of the Firearms market disagrees with most of what is written above as is evidenced by the fact that the gun is currently selling for a 50% premium over the retail price I bought it for last spring.

2). To reproduce such a gun would cost close to another 50% more than the guns are currently selling for.

3). The odds favor the gun shooting reasonably well...

4). Finally, If the gun doesn't shoot.... I sell it....banking 30-40% profit (after fees) in less than year, (after having had an enjoyable experience owning it).

All it really comes down to is that this gun either shoots poorly and it was good investment or it shoots well and it was it great investment...as for the conspiracy theories...they don't bother me much, but they are fun to hear... :lol:

JC

Choc...I started a seperate thread in the forum on this subject in order to hoallowing this thread to return to its original topic....

JC,

I understand. Your rifles posted picture sure it nice to look at. There is something stunning about stainless metal and select grade walnut. :D :D :D

So.....

How does that Kimber shoot? I have been looking at the same rifle for awhile now. Local store has one in .308 but 7-08 would be what I would really want.

I knew I had read something re: newer Winchester rifles on this page, and here it is .... they have a couple of Winchester Coyotes on "sale" at the local bass pro shops, and I'm thinking about picking one up in .243. the rest of 'em are in those ridiculous WSSM calibers, but I think it'd be hard to go wrong w/ a heavy-barrel .243. I guess I'd be taking a risk on it, but they are going for upwards of $1,000 on Gunbroker.

Doohan, It shoots better than I can hold it. 8)
I have tried Remington 140 core lokts, Fusion 140s, Winchester 140 PP and Hornady 139 sp light magnums in factory loads and all are quite acceptable for hunting purposes. I am not the best bench shooter and shoot off a home made portable bench but I can keep most 3 shot groups at 1.5 inches or so, with some well under an inch. The Hornadys and Fusions seem to be slightly better than the rest. The barrel heats up quickly so you have to take your time. It is very light and you need to be real still when you break the trigger. Offhand shots will have to be pretty close range for me. I'm used to the heavy front end on the ML-11 and it has a lot bigger wobble zone. I will carry sticks and always use a rest of some kind if possible anyways.
I am quite happy overall with the rifle. It is what I wanted, something real light to carry that packs a good wallop without kicking your teeth out. :D

Latest posts

Back