Jim Shockey now with T/C?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basis for paying spokemodels and sponsoring TV show is no mystery to most.

What is peculiar is saying that T/C thinks he is worth less money than Knight, and going on a bit about Tony Knight not owning Knight Rifles as some sort of revelation.

Not exactly "news," Tony Knight has not owned Knight rifles for at least the last twelve years. :|

RandyWakeman said:
The basis for paying spokemodels and sponsoring TV show is no mystery to most.

I do believe that just about everyone understands that TV is best way to announce new products and demonstrate features/quality/value and best use of a given product. Just how much value is associated with any particular spokesperson is up for discussion. I think more people believe a respected spokesperson than don't. I also believe that non-believers are far more vocal about their beliefs and tend to hold the spokesperson to higher standards than they hold themselves too. So, in many ways the the sponsorship can be a double edged sword.

What is peculiar is saying that T/C thinks he is worth less money than Knight, and going on a bit about Tony Knight not owning Knight Rifles as some sort of revelation.

Not exactly "news," Tony Knight has not owned Knight rifles for at least the last twelve years. :|

I'm sure far more people didn't know Tony had sold than those that did.

I don't know Jim other than meeting him at the Shot Show and a beer and BS with him and Tony at the Swarovski Superbowl party a few years back. Why he switched isn't any of my business and while his descision to switch may affect me many thousands of times more than most people I don't feel it is my right to judge the man or doubt his stated reasons.

What's wrong for getting paid by somebody to be a spokeman? Is T/C such a horrible product? I think not.

Heck I listen to you guys and you do it for free. :roll:

If we really got sensative to people getting paid to "sponser products" then we could all save a lot of money on magazine subscriptions. Most magazines and magazine writers are no better. How many articles have you read lately that really point out the bad points on a particular product? It is kind of like when you see an ugly baby and tell the mom and dad how cute they are. We do that to be kind humans, not for possible financial reasons. Honesty and full disclosure has become a dying thing in many business situations because they feel that it is not financially rewarding. How wrong they are! I am not saying that Jim is dishonest by any means, he switched from one good company to another. I have worked for 3 different companies in the same industry in my 40 years. Industries change and moves are made to stay on top. Heck I think most of us would give his or her right arm to have the life experiences that Jim has had.

RandyWakeman said:
The basis for paying spokemodels and sponsoring TV show is no mystery to most. :|

Nor is it a mystry to me. Money makes the world go around.

If you think he changed to a crappy product just for money, then I could see your point.

Guess we will have to just agree to dissagree. And I don't really have an opinion on the subject!

Good hunting!

I have been a unpaid spokeman for the pie industry for years! Primarily it is a cottage industry and the really good manufactuers tend to be slightly overweight mothers and grandmothers. However the fringe benefits have been quite tasty. I do admit when it comes to pie my pen is for sale. I rarily give a completley true of review of any one particular pie, alas I am an eternal optimist and always feel the next one may be better. I have never eaten a truly bad pie with maybe one exception of a mincemeat pie my wifes grandma made one Thanksgiving. I did choke that one down, praising it's virtues all the while. I admit the fear of utter and complete pie rejection by such an esteemed pie maker left me frightened and shaking at the knees. Never one to bite the hand that feeds me pie, I have found my immoral stance on this subject may have left me scarred emotionally and physically a perfect specimen of the obese, but alas what can I do, I fear I am a slave to my unholy passion. :lol:

I hope someone who is an expert starts touting black magIII it might make it more available.

Every time you bring up the pie subject I think of Lemon and Strawberry PIE. I don't know which I like best :) :D

Pie man....Someday when you least expect it, Brown will knock on your door and deliver you the most amazing pie you have ever had. An Amish baked Ground Cherry Pie!!! 8) Compliments of Mr. and Mrs. Spit

txhunter58 said:
Although "He's a coumpany spokeman and will shoot whatever he's paid to shoot" is an opinion, not fact.

Not really. Let's say your a muzzleloader company and you make 3 models of muzzleloaders. Would you let you spokeman shoot your cheapest model? At the very least they would shoot your midgrade model and more likely your most expensive model. Why? Because you want to sell your higher end muzzleloaders and if it's good enough for the company spokesman it's good enough for the customer. Why else would there be interest in which brand Jim Shockey's using? What's the use of a spokesman promoting your brand if they're not promoting what you want to sell?

Why do you think Shockey was using the .52 and the Revolution the last year or so of his time with Knight? That's what Knight want's to sell that's why.

Jim Shockey is in the hunting BUSINESS. If the only reason he changed sponsors is money that's business. Most people I know that are in business are pursueing avenues to make more money. Same for the "working man". If you are a plumber working for $25.00 an hour and get an offer from another employer that offers the same security and other benefits as your present employer to do the same job at $35.00 an hour would you not take the higher pay??

Amen Razorback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can say all you want about Jim but he is a hunting fool and I doubt that most of the members on this board could hold a candle to him in the woods or the mountains. Hey...he's living his dream...why knock a guy for that?

Hey...he's living his dream...why knock a guy for that?

..He's living my dream too, and it gives me hope that a fellow Saskatchewanian can get it done![

If I can do what I love, get paid to do it, using sponsors equipment given to me... I want that job!

Is APP a servicable powder? Seems to be... but I don't like and won't use it. But if I could have a consistent supply of new powder to use that will shoot accurately while hunting and get paid to use it... where do I sign up? I don't like APP because it seems to loose power over time after being opened and I don't shoot enough in the off season or even while hunting for a powder to loose that much power to justify using it. But Jim can obviously be supplied whatever he needs when he needs it.

If he feels that being sponsored by one company will eventually reflect negatively on his pocket book... Why stick with it? That's not being very smart in a business environment.

Just my .02 cents.

I too saw him miss a caribou and his cameraman Toby shot it with a rifle immediately following the miss over the top of the animal. Maybe the buff and the caribou were hunts number 16 and 17? I wish I had similar dilemmas!

Back