Jim Shockey now with T/C?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
big6x6 said:
Not that I'm all about Knight either. The Revolution is not revolutionary, the Vision is still just that, and the Disc Elite is no more. Not a single sound business decision among any of these...

I think Shockey made the right choice. Knight really isnt making good decisions. IMO

Grouse said:
big6x6 said:
Not that I'm all about Knight either. The Revolution is not revolutionary, the Vision is still just that, and the Disc Elite is no more. Not a single sound business decision among any of these...

I think Shockey made the right choice. Knight really isnt making good decisions. IMO

I agree they haven't come out with a smokeless. :) Of course neither has T/C.

When a athlete says it's not about the moneys it is AWLAYS about the money. IMO Jim is no differnet. Don't get me wrong. I would love to have his job and let it be about the money!

Patrick White said:
http://www.jimshockey.com/news/news.asp?ID=1390

They changed it. They removed the part about Knight being a billion dollar company and Tony Knight not having any Knights anymore. Maybe a lawsuit was threatened?

yup. you have to be careful about defamation in a situation like that. :!:

That's interesting... EQUALLY interesting is this review from a hunter that went on one of his outfitted hunts...

As far as I have seen, all the whitetail footage I've viewed from his shows are not from his whitetail Camps (except the "buck Grub" hunt) but are actually in Southern Saskatchewan in the Primitive Weapons Zone around Saskatoon and therefore he's being a bit misleading to his potential clients. This area is restricted to Non-Resident hunters and is not in an area that could be outfitted. So, unfortunately, he is using footage from a premier area that has better than average bucks, to promote his business.

But, in Jim Shockey's defence, although Saskatchewan produces some amazing bucks, shooting a 140+ class buck is still no slam dunk. In the best of the best areas, a 140+ class buck is still a major accomplishment and is extremely difficult to consistently do. I think a lot of US hunters may have unrealistic expectations of Saskatchewan and maybe setting themselves up for disappointment. Not all of Saskatchewan deer hunting opportunities are created equal, and most of the truly Big whitetails are shot by locals who hunt the Parkland/Farmland areas of the province. The bucks in the forested region where non-resident hunters are allowed, generally produce bucks with smaller racks with above average mass. In Saskatchewan, as with anywhere else, if you want a trophy deer you must be prepared to go home empty handed. The beauty of whitetail hunting in Saskatchewan is the potential, not the actual success rates. You have to remeber, these are wild bucks at low densities, at the extreme edge of their range, not fenced in deer that you "order-up" according to your bank roll.

About this subject Jim Shockey says on his website,

"AS FAR AS THE KNIGHT VERSES TC I?VE SWITCHED OVER FROM KNIGHT TO THOMPSON CENTER, I?M USING A THOMPSON CENTER ENCORE RIGHT NOW AND INTEND TO STAY WITH THOMPSON CENTER FIREARMS FROM HERE ON IN IN MY HUNTING CAREER. TONY KNIGHT IS A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE AND MADE AN EXCELLENT GUN AND THE ORIGINAL MK85 AND THEN ALSO DESIGNED THE KNIGHT DISC RIFLE BUT FOR THE POWERS THAT BE AT KNIGHT NOW THOSE ARE OLD NEWS. SO THEY?VE SWITCHED OVER TO PROMOTING THE REVOLUTION AND WHAT THEIR NEW GUN WHATEVER THAT HAPPENS TO BE BUT THOSE AREN?T GUNS FOR ME PERSONALLY, I?VE SWITCHED OVER TO THE THOMPSON CENTER ENCORE AND I ALSO HAVE AN OMEGA WHICH IS A GREAT GUN AS WELL"

He also says,

"AS FAR AS SWITCHING OVER YES I HAVE. FOR YEARS I SHOT TONY KNIGHTS DESIGNED MK85 AND TONY?S DISC RIFLE. THE NEWER KNIGHTS WERE NOT DESIGNED BY TONY AND I TRIED USING ONE FOR A YEAR AND HAVE DECIDED TO SWITCH OVER TO THE THOMPSON CENTER LINE OF MUZZLELOADERS. USING THE ENCORE I?VE HAD ONE OF THE BEST STRINGS OF ONE SHOT KILLS I?VE HAD IN YEARS SO I?M VERY HAPPY WITH THE CHANGE. I?M A HUNTER AND ITS MY OPINION I SHOULD USE THE BEST PRODUCT AVAILABLE TO DO MY JOB ETHICALLY AND AS CONSISTANTLY AS POSSIBLE AND THAT?S WHY I?VE SWITCHED OVER."

Hasn't there been footage of him missing with the Encore? Didn't I see him shoot a Cape Buff and need to finish it off when it charged the truck? Do those still count as " a string of one shot kills" :D

Ethang said:
Hasn't there been footage of him missing with the Encore? Didn't I see him shoot a Cape Buff and need to finish it off when it charged the truck? Do those still count as " a string of one shot kills" :D

You'd be surprised what people call a "one shot kill" around here! :shock:

You got that right Chuck. IMO he holds no credibility, just as a lot of the so called experts and personalities in the hunting field. Again, IMO.

Why would it remotely be important what Shockey might shoot, to anyone? As far as the "best products" theory, is everyone shooting American Pioneer powder and Nosler bullets as well? :roll:

my point exactly, but people tend to be sheeple and want to follow.

RandyWakeman said:
As far as the "best products" theory, is everyone shooting American Pioneer powder and Nosler bullets as well? :roll:

Of course. I wouldn't " trust my life" to anything else. You know how often whitetails attack people in the wild.

I guess I don't understand why he isn't allowed change his mind? I know I've used products for years and only to see them change into something I no longer wanted to use. I'm sure everyone here has changed their minds on the best product for their use at sometime in their lives.

It could be as simple as that.

Sounds to me that if you like the guy, you think he did it for pure reasons. If you don't, you think it is ALL about money.

Bottom line is all of us are just speculating, which really serves no purpose, especially in the negative sense. People that diss a guy with really no evidence except a "feeling" lose my respect for the posts pretty fast. I don't know the guy and have not followed his career, so I really don't care either way.

txhunter58 said:
Sounds to me that if you like the guy, you think he did it for pure reasons. If you don't, you think it is ALL about money.

Bottom line is all of us are just speculating, which really serves no purpose, especially in the negative sense. People that diss a guy with really no evidence except a "feeling" lose my respect for the posts pretty fast. I don't know the guy and have not followed his career, so I really don't care either way.

I don't like him. Well except for his "End of the Trail" articles. I really could care less why he switched. He's a company spokeman and will shoot whatever he's paid to shoot. As soon as he started appearing in ads for American Pioneer I knew that was the case. Hodgdon apparently didn't want to pay him and so he found a company that would. That stuff is HORRIBLE. :evil:

I don't like him. Well except for his "End of the Trail" articles. I really could care less why he switched. He's a company spokeman and will shoot whatever he's paid to shoot. As soon as he started appearing in ads for American Pioneer I knew that was the case. Hodgdon apparently didn't want to pay him and so he found a company that would. That stuff is HORRIBLE. :evil:[/quote]

At least you are honest about your reasons. Although "He's a coumpany spokeman and will shoot whatever he's paid to shoot" is an opinion, not fact. I certainly don't presume to know what is in a man's heart. Just like it is your opinion, not a fact that APP is horrible. I know lots of blackpowder shooters that really like APP. Sounds like he has certainly killed plenty of animals with it. To each his own. Personally, I am trying to make the switch to BM3, but is has it shortcomings, as did 777 before that, as did pyrodex before that!

Back