INQUISITIVE MIND CAUSES A CONCERN

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My point is that if a TC suffers a major failure, TC fanboys go so far as to tell the guy to stop b....hing.

Beyond that, I'll let you figure it out if you can.

After reading this and some other posts about this subject I decided to check one of the guns I have here at the house after cleaning it up from a range session. The ID of the threaded part of the breech was .570" The OD of the BP was .627" and the bottom of the threads on the BP measured .577" using the blade tips of the caliper. By my calculations that means I have a thread depth of .025" on each side and the engagement is about .0215" on each side. I see no issues with these numbers or the performance of the rifle.

dmurphy317 said:
After reading this and some other posts about this subject I decided to check one of the guns I have here at the house after cleaning it up from a range session. The ID of the threaded part of the breech was .570" The OD of the BP was .627" and the bottom of the threads on the BP measured .577" using the blade tips of the caliper. By my calculations that means I have a thread depth of .025" on each side and the engagement is about .0215" on each side. I see no issues with these numbers or the performance of the rifle.

Dave-considering the fact that there is only one thread on the plug,if you were to measure the total length of that thread and multiply by .0215",there is a lot of surface. Besides the lock up is on the face. There are several classes of threads(tolerance)depending on usage. A threaded fastener of any type must be at least as long as the diameter.Most beeach pluge are at least twice diameter.

Charlie

Good point, I'll have to do some more measuring to come up with the total contact area, i.e. length of the plug and thread pitch and add a little pi. :)

Back