INQUISITIVE MIND CAUSES A CONCERN

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I e-mailed my friend and gunsmith with my finding.
He said that he was not surprised as manufacturing tolerances are generally very loose.
He did suggest that I could send him the barrel and the breach plug and he could thread it better and make a new breach plug that would have a precise fit or I could see if I could measure more breach plugs, as there will be a considerable difference in the threaded diameter, and find a tighter one. He said welcome to the world of production guns.

Underclocked said:
That sounds very reasonable, Ralph.

Really? Sounds completely off the wall to me. After measuring three Encore plugs, two Knight plugs, and four savage plugs i see no difference at all in my digital caliper. I think the safest thing to do is send this gun back to the manufacture asap. Of course, i could be missing something or confused. :)

Measurin

Useing the dial cal. measure the o.d of the plug. If the female can be acessed measure the i.d. Subtracting the two dia. will give the depth of engagement. Devide the number by two.
Wayles

Yes, Tom, it does. I don't mean what the gunsmith suggested as a fix although a custom fit plug would surely offer the best fit, I mean the "He said welcome to the world of production guns."

That also reflects my experience with plugs. I've not found them all to fit perfectly or even the same from one to the next. Length of the plugs can vary a bit as well. And I'm not talking about one brand of rifle.

I'm guessing they only spot check the fit. That's pretty much standard industry practice.

When only one out of every every 25 barrels (4%) is tested with a go - no go tool to see if the threads for the breach plug are the right size, it's not suprizing that a few bad ones get through.

First of all how do you know 4% of the barrels are tested for any sort of accuracy and second of all why would they use a tool designed for centerfire cartridge measurement?y

First of all how do you know 4% of the barrels are tested for any sort of accuracy and second of all why would they use a tool designed for centerfire cartridge measurement?y

None of them are tested for accuracy.

Swampman, please go ahead and post similar QC data for TC, Knight, Remington 700ML, as well as the original Sharps rifles.

Underclocked said:
Swampman, please go ahead and post similar QC data for TC, Knight, Remington 700ML, as well as the original Sharps rifles.

You've learned NOTHING haven't you..... :lol:

Swampman

'Let it go...!

We all know your feelings and most of us have been through the whole process before. It is old news. You are really creating more animosity towards yourself than helping anyone.

Underclocked said:
Busta, can you make such measurements? How do you do that? Am I the only one that would like to know (or the only one that doesn't know)?

UC,

Yes you can, with a ID Caliper Gauge kinda like this one. You can also change the gauge heads, either one or both to a pin pointed probe that could also measure the thread depth. Sorry I didn't get to this sooner.

im880n.jpg

Caliper%20Gauge.jpg

This is how it is used.

caliper%20gauge.gif

Thanks Busta, I've never even seen one of those. Nice gadget.

Bat, absolutely!! :D

Swampman
Is there some reason you left TC out of the American made Muzzle loaders?
The normal thread engagement for American "English" threads is 80 percent on a fine thread.
A marking pen is not necessarily the best way to measure carbon blacking is better, if you don't have any try blacking with a bees wax candle.
Metric threads have a different spec for engagement with a bigger tolerance. Lee

Ralph in Mn said:
...top of the threads only touch approx .003 of the mated thread ... Ralph
Wait a minute... I think I misread something. Are you saying there is mating contact on only .003" of the thread face? That does sound dangerous.

RogerDailey said:
That does sound dangerous.

Dont worry, it is. Two manufactures are currently looking at this thread. Busta had the right answer in the beginning. Do not shoot this Muzzleloader.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually not at all. What is your point Rich? What are you trying to prove? Are you looking for an arguement or something? Do you think i have something with T/C? Your comments to me are totally off the wall. If you are trying to attack something that i like, it's a NULA.

What you think about T/C i could care less. I just sent back a barrel with rust on the weathershield finish. Your links to other threads are great for the people on the board. You should put a post up about T/C with those links and make it usefull.

Back