... Hunting trip cut short ..........

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:cry:
Had to cut my hunting trip a little short because of the weather. I first want everyone to know that I thought long and hard about bringing my MR with me and I'm glad I did. I now can say it was the right decision. I'm not putting my side locks away by any means. I just needed to clear that idea up.
I cut the hunt short by a day because the weather was getting to warm. I'll explain............
The weather was 9*s Friday morning with a 15 mph wind. It got to 12*s by noon and then started to drop again. I hunted Friday morning in an area that was surrounded by hardwoods. My blind was at one end and I had a clear shot out to about 200 yards or so. The width was the killer. Where I was the clearing was only about 40 yards wide so a hunter didn't have a lot of time to react.
I sat from dark to about 0930 and didn't see a thing. At that point I was sitting back in one of those fold up chairs that slide into a bag with a draw string. Comfortable but once I sat back I couldn't get out of the f$%^&*) thing and I found out the hard way.
At 0940 2 deer ran from left to right and you guessed it, I couldn't get out of the F%^^&()* chair. I was really pissed but I figured they were does and I thought just maybe a buck was behind them. I got ready and waited and sure enough out comes the spike. He ran across the field in no time but he stopped right on the edge of the wood line. Easy shot right? NO SUCH THING.
This guy stopped behind a tree that had 2 trunks. His head was covered from my view and so was his vitals. My choice was his gut or his neck. Naturally I took the neck shot but I only had an 8" opening to shoot thru. 8"s at 93 yards is pretty narrow. 
Well once that RED DOT settled on his neck I squeezed and he was lost in the smoke. I knew  he was hit and just ran off. When I got there he was DRT...........He weighted 146 pounds at the processor's. He's already cut and I'll get him tomorrow. 90 miles round trip. That venison is well worth. I didn't get one last year and I can't wait to start cooking this guy.
My load was 110 grains by VOLUME, 78.1 by WEIGHT of Black horn 209. Parker Ballistic Extreme 275 grain with a Harvester EZ-LOAD Smooth Sabot and Fiocchi Primers. The shot was 93 yards. Temp today was rain and high 40's to low 50's. To warm to hang deer outdoors and I didn't want to take the chance of loosing it.

IMG_0768_zpscb0dc848.jpg

IMG_0765_zps6ec9d7d0.jpg

2nd season starts 4 Dec. I'll be checking into my room on the 3rd and getting settled and ready for the next day. Good hunting Everyone :!:

Ray.......... :Red tup:
There's no way I could have made that shot with my Hawken with the iron sights. Maybe some could but I wouldn't have even tried with the fear of wounding the deer if I even hit it.

Good job Ray!! You nailed him solid!

Wise choice with the MR, when you have those kinda shots, be prepared.

I'm glad you got one this year, Ray. It's always a bummer when it's a strikeout. Congratulations.

8)

Thanks guys............. GOOD HUNTING GENTS and have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING :cheers:

Ray............ :Red tup:

Latest posts

Back