How about handguns

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
capguncartridgesincylindersm.JPG
capgun 3sm2.JPG
capgun cartridgesm.JPG
And here is the real champion of my collection of handguns. It is a pot metal "Stallion" that I bought when I was 11 years old using money made from morning paper delivery. I regularly stopped in that 5&10 Cent store to be certain it was still there as I saved up. I still have it. A round cap (on green sheets) goes on the bottom of the casing and the bullet is seated on top. When fired, the smoke goes through the whole in the bullet and out the barrel.

A bit off subject but my favorite "walkabout" combo is my Ruger #1A rechambered to the 357 Max and the Ruger revolver to match. Normally if a handgun cal doesn't start with the Number 4 I don't consider it as a Favorite. I also sold Cloverine sauve door-to-door to buy my first .22. A sgl shot Wards pull to cock bolt rifle. Delivered newspapers to buy a Weaver 3/4 scope and have it mounted. When I was in my middle 60s a family with 6 kids moved to our small town and the oldest son worked at the local locker plant to supplement the family and buy his first .22, I "paid forward" as they say and gifted it to him.....Don't know where they are now, but have to believe it's well taken care of.....Mossie

Last edited:
As a kid I had an old Winchester single shot bolt action .22 that had a knob you had to pull back to cock it. Have no idea where it came from, age; my memory fails me on this one but I do recall it had no trigger guard. My first "bought" pistol was a Colt single action .22.

Because of my right eye problem I had to virtually stop my handgun shooting. I'll be scheduling retinal surgery in a day or two. There's risk in this surgery but everything has risks. IF it helps I may gain back a little of my shooting vision. I love pistols (wheel and otherwise) and miss getting to take to the local range.

Your statement, Ron, is very true. Any of my posted choices could change in just a week or two.
Seems the older we get the more issues seem to pop up Hanshi. I was scheduled to have my knee operation on this Monday, because of my age had to have a stress test this past week. Friday was called and told the operation was cancelled because I have a blockage in one vessel causing several health issues. Now scheduled for plaque build up and blocked artery tests. Was told I have had several heart attacks in the last few months (with having diabetes my issues were hidden)?

That's rough, brother Buck!
That must really be a smack in the head to find out about the silent heart attacks!

I hope it all gets resolved and you are back on the trail, again.
Ron

Best of luck on that, Buck. I had an uncle (loved the guy) who died at 104. Two or three years before that he was turned down for a hip joint replacement simply due to age. I have a "pre-op" appointment on the 13th to get info and check if I'm in good enough heath to have the operation. My last BP was taken a week or so ago and was 99/58, that's either healthy or it means I was dead when they put the cuff on me. I'm falling apart, of course, but that don't count. Take care and get through this, Buck.

Yes really best of luck on your artery tests. Diabetes sucks. I know. Hope all comes out good. You wont believe the difference you'll feel once you get those knees replaved. Just cant didybop thru airport security anymore though. I know.
DL

A bit off subject but my favorite "walkabout" combo is my Ruger #1A rechambered to the 357 Max and the Ruger revolver to match. Normally if a handgun cal doesn't start with the Number 4 I don't consider it as a Favorite. I also sold Cloverine sauve door-to-door to buy my first .22. A sgl shot Wards pull to cock bolt rifle. Delivered newspapers to buy a Weaver 3/4 scope and have it mounted. When I was in my middle 60s a family with 6 kids moved to our small town and the oldest son worked at the local locker plant to supplement the family and buy his first .22, I "paid forward" as they say and gifted it to him.....Don't know where they are now, but have to believe it's well taken care of.....Mossie
Wow, I haven't seen Cloverine salve in decades. That was mom's go to for every cut, bruise, rash, and everything in between.
Thanks for the memory Mossie.....ML48

Wow, I haven't seen Cloverine salve in decades. That was mom's go to for every cut, bruise, rash, and everything in between.
Thanks for the memory Mossie.....ML48

In the Deep South we had castor oil, astyptodine and Sayman Salve. If one of those three couldn't cure you they just figgered you were already dead.

Now th
In the Deep South we had castor oil, astyptodine and Sayman Salve. If one of those three couldn't cure you they just figgered you were already dead.
at that has come up, I remember a product in the medicine cabinet called "bear salve". Mom used it for burns.

Now th
at that has come up, I remember a product in the medicine cabinet called "bear salve". Mom used it for burns.

They still manufacture a salve called "Sayman Salve", but it looks and smells nothing like the old stuff. Astyptodyne is still being produced but is much more expensive than it used to be. It's excellent for bug bites/stings, burns, bleeding, wounds and aches & pains. It comes from the long leaf pine, a Deep South species, and smells - at least used to - like, well, pine. It's one of the best of the "natural" first aid oils. I have an old original bottle of it but it's almost empty. Castor oil - may it be confined in Hell - was always the first "medicine" administered regardless of the ailment. Be it a common cold, tummy aches, general aches & pains and just something a kid got frequently for "general health" reasons. It certainly did work after a fashion in that; it was a great way to punish, it tasted so awful you'd swear afterwards you were cured from the first dose even if you were stage 4 lung cancer, all physical pain stopped in it's tracks as soon as your mom reached up on the pantry shelf, all behavior could be "corrected" with the simple threat of, "it's time for a table spoon of castor oil". A syrup called "Syrup of Black Draft" was poured down a kid's throat at the mere suspicion - true or not - that one's GI situation was not regular.

So we weren't any healthier back then, we just professed to be healthy to save us from these horrible oral emollients.

Dont forget the Prid salve they still sell it ,think its mostly pine tar .but the stuff does work I still have a can in the cabinet.

They still manufacture a salve called "Sayman Salve", but it looks and smells nothing like the old stuff. Astyptodyne is still being produced but is much more expensive than it used to be. It's excellent for bug bites/stings, burns, bleeding, wounds and aches & pains. It comes from the long leaf pine, a Deep South species, and smells - at least used to - like, well, pine. It's one of the best of the "natural" first aid oils. I have an old original bottle of it but it's almost empty. Castor oil - may it be confined in Hell - was always the first "medicine" administered regardless of the ailment. Be it a common cold, tummy aches, general aches & pains and just something a kid got frequently for "general health" reasons. It certainly did work after a fashion in that; it was a great way to punish, it tasted so awful you'd swear afterwards you were cured from the first dose even if you were stage 4 lung cancer, all physical pain stopped in it's tracks as soon as your mom reached up on the pantry shelf, all behavior could be "corrected" with the simple threat of, "it's time for a table spoon of castor oil". A syrup called "Syrup of Black Draft" was poured down a kid's throat at the mere suspicion - true or not - that one's GI situation was not regular.

So we weren't any healthier back then, we just professed to be healthy to save us from these horrible oral emollients.
I do remember castor oil...thanks for reminding me about that rancid tasting crap.

I am afraid that I remember castor oil, too!
That stuff also, let's say, "frees up the intestinal tract."

Ron

Ok boys lets get back to hand guns instead of shootin' castor oil out the other barrel👉🤣

Scientifically proven: Once you swallow even one t-spoon of that stuff you can never get that taste out of your mouth.

#1. Here's my much loved and used S&W M14 .38 spl. #2. My Ruger .45 Colt BH. Both have an enormous number of squirrels to their credit. The M14 has virtually never fired anything other than 2.7 grns of Bullseye and a HB or SB full wadcutter which is super accurate and awesome on squirrels. The BH has only one standard load, a 265 grn SWC over 18 grns of 2400. Sometimes a 245 grn RNSWC is substituted and both have the same POI. The .38 spl gets around 760 fps with that load. The .45 gets 1060 fps in the 4-5/8" barrel but gets 1250 fps in my 7.5" tube. Squirrels don't offer enough resistance to cause ANY expansion or damage; kinda like shooting at paper targets.

Scientifically proven: Once you swallow even one t-spoon of that stuff you can never get that taste out of your mouth.

#1. Here's my much loved and used S&W M14 .38 spl. #2. My Ruger .45 Colt BH. Both have an enormous number of squirrels to their credit. The M14 has virtually never fired anything other than 2.7 grns of Bullseye and a HB or SB full wadcutter which is super accurate and awesome on squirrels. The BH has only one standard load, a 265 grn SWC over 18 grns of 2400. Sometimes a 245 grn RNSWC is substituted and both have the same POI. The .38 spl gets around 760 fps with that load. The .45 gets 1060 fps in the 4-5/8" barrel but gets 1250 fps in my 7.5" tube. Squirrels don't offer enough resistance to cause ANY expansion or damage; kinda like shooting at paper targets.
4-5/8 or 5.5 are my favorite bbl lengths though I have them up to 10-1/2 in my max 357. Have several old mdls but prefer the new mdls for hunting safety and carrying safely all 6 rounds....Mossie

Here is my Ruger Security Six in .357 mag. It has had trigger work and is Magna-ported, both done by the previous owner. The Magna-porting is not visible in this photo. The target is the 5" size and shot at 15 yards.
Do you all think that .357 mag is enough for deer (I see some posts showing deer taken with a .357 mag.)
Ruger Security Six 357 4inch (1)crpsm.JPG
Target 8-29-18 Ruger Security 6 with magna ports md3sm.jpg

Ron, the .357 is more than enough for deer. The majority of my deer kills were made with a 6" or a 4" S&W .357 and only one shot ever needed. I prefer JHP of 125 grns to 158 grns and that's all I ever used. I also don't like pistol scopes and used the stock open sights. The farthest shot was only 50 yards, or a bit under, and the deer jumped once and collapsed. Here are those photos again.
DSC00445.jpg

Yeah, Ron, break my heart with that Security Six. Back in the day I probably had at least 4 pass through my hands - and they got evermore fired, too. I carried a virtual twin to yours on duty for quite a long time. My mistake was in thinking they'd always be around. Imagine my regret when I found they would not. While not as "refined" as the Colts and Smiths, they are without doubt among the best .357 revolvers ever produced.

Latest posts

Back