Hornady interlock 245 grain .452 bullets anyone

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 7429 View attachment 7429

This bullet has about the same radius as:
Barnes spit fire, expander (pictured), hornady sst, a little less radius than xtp magnum (pictured) etc.
Has a substantial jacket that should hold it together. I’ll post an accuracy & expansion report after testing. View attachment 7430View attachment 7429
Are those going to be shot sabotless ( bullet to bore )? And what twist rate barrel? I'm interested in seeing how these perform as well. I'm looking into testing lighter hunting bullets to be shot at 98-105gr BH 209 in my Paramount 1:22 twist. I'm very soon going to be testing some Parker 250 & 275 BE & some 270 Match/Hunter E Max & 310 Black Max Hollow Base. I'm looking forward to seeing your results posted. Kind regards

Last edited:
Are those going to be shot sabotless ( bullet to bore )? And what twist rate barrel? I'm interested in seeing how these perform as well. I'm looking into testing lighter hunting bullets to be shot at 98-105gr BH 209 in my Paramount 1:22 twist. I'm very soon going to be testing some Parker 250 & 275 BE & some 270 Match/Hunter E Max & 310 Black Max Hollow Base. I'm looking forward to seeing your results posted. Kind regards
They’ll be shot with harvester sabots in Knight disc extreme with bare primer & prob @ 85 gr (by weight) BH209, to start. I’m looking for a good performer on med size (FL) deer & <100# hogs. That test that was posted was actually encouraging. They were testing at 2150fps, and the bullet blew up in a very solid medium, but one shot at @1900 will probably be @1500 at impact. Most I’ve used don’t expand enough. A few pistol bullets blow up. Many that tout a bunch of energy might be OK for grizzly, but in most of my hunting situations, most of the energy winds up in a tree on the other side of the animal .
And yes they’re on sale at Midway which was worth a try. Nowhere do I find any reference to that hollow design at Hornady. The jacket is pretty thick and the interlock should help at those impact velocities, to expand some but not blow up. I like the shape as well.

The BC is not anything to really make much difference. Its pretty low actually. Thats why i ordered the Speer 260gr instead. Its a Uni-Cor design, just a fancy word for plated but Speer does a great job plating. Locally i can get them for about $12/50. Ive seen them loaded in 460S&W. In a carbine that load should be good for around 2000fps. Its claimed speed is 1600fps in a pistol.

If you want to try a cheap pointy light bullet, you can get the Harvester 240gr PT Gold for about $25/50 or the 200gr FTX. Ive never managed to get the 200gr FTX to shoot very well. The 225gr FTX shoots ok but its a bomb at warp speed.

The BC is not anything to really make much difference. Its pretty low actually. Thats why i ordered the Speer 260gr instead. Its a Uni-Cor design, just a fancy word for plated but Speer does a great job plating. Locally i can get them for about $12/50. Ive seen them loaded in 460S&W. In a carbine that load should be good for around 2000fps. Its claimed speed is 1600fps in a pistol.

If you want to try a cheap pointy light bullet, you can get the Harvester 240gr PT Gold for about $25/50 or the 200gr FTX. Ive never managed to get the 200gr FTX to shoot very well. The 225gr FTX shoots ok but its a bomb at warp speed.

Haven’t tried those Speer bullets as I’m trying to keep under 250 gr. But have never had any luck in my competition guns, using plated bullets. Cast & coated shot better. But not as good as jacketed.
I Had mixed terminal results with FTX bullets, but they all shot very well for me.
Are you shooting those uni-cor speers with sabots?

First will be sabotless and then i will try them in my NULA later. Its a smokeless rifle though so pressure spikes quicker. They may not work for me in sabots. Sabotless will be with BH209. I sent some to Ron for water jug destruction fun.

Overall the Speers are well proven deer killers but this one is a new Uni-Cor version of a jacketed Speer.

View attachment 7432
Sure. Here’s one I made to bump 180 gr speer 358 bullets up to .365 for 9.3x72r. I also showed the drill I made to shape the chamber. You can change the ogive to improve BC, or make the bullet shorter as. I did on this one for the slow twist. You could make a sabot bullet longer on the straight sides etc. there’s a bleed hole for lead to escape. I use a hydraulic press, but mechanical ones can be used.
If you can, read the article on it in Nonte’s book,” Cartridge Conversions”.
Thank you . Ive done it with pure lead , close anyway , for a .388 dia 330gr bullet but not jacketed YET . I appreciate the tip !!!

Dont forget a wad !!!

Back