Hornady Monoflex Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaverbank

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody on here has tried or used Hornady's .458 Monoflex in 250 grain. Would like to know how accuracy and terminal performance was. I had the chance to shoot one three shot group at 100 yds out of my CVA MR....little less than 1" group.Happy with that, but it was only ONE group fired with this bullet....should note that I used a crushed rib sabot...I have MMP orange (.458), but only have a handful left. Lots of Harvester crushed ribs though....loaded tight, but not too bad.Really interested in hearing about expansion and penetration with these bullets...thanks for any input.

Never shot the .458 bullets. Did carry the 452 bullet one hunting season. Never got a shot at a deer, but did kill a coyote with the bullet. Bullet worked good; made a mess of the coyote. Bullet is accurate in my rifle, does penetrate, and does expand. Testing in water jugs indicate the 452 monoflex bullet is more reliable at slow speeds than many popular bullets i.e. it works/expands when many others don't. Tests of the 452 monoflex bullet, and others are available here.

I have shot quite a few of them at paper from 100 yds, also with an Accura MR and with an Accura V2. I have found them to be consistently accurate. I use the MMP orange sabots and they are a tight fit but not unmanageable. I have tried black crush ribs but they were very tight in my rifles. I have not used them for hunting but from the results of Ron's testing and my personal results with Barnes bullets which they closely resemble, I would be quite confident in their terminal performance.

Latest posts

Back